new baby beardie not eating much

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewybd

I got my new 6 week old beardie 4 days ago.
Problem is that it is not eating as much as other people are saying their eat. I give it small crickets dusted with calcium to eat, i pop about 10 in and at first it hunts them down and gobbles them up but he only gobbles 5, then 5-10 minutes later he gobbles 1-2 more then stops and lets them run around his viv whilst he looks at them then he gets stressed and starts scratching the glass where he can see its reflection ( from black cardboard i put on 3 sides outside of his viv). I provide him a variety of baby greens every morning from a pre mixed bag which has like bok chuy, collard greens, grapes and other leafy veggies from my fridge but he doesn't eat them.
The breeder just let his clutch eat woodies

It is active and alert, poops regularly every day, i bath him every day for 10 minutes in warm water.
My viv is 3ft, reptisun 10 uv 2ft light about 7" from it, then i have a 40watt phillips soft yellow/white light focus beam light as a basking light. He has a basking rock and a hide for him to sleep at the cool end. Temps are 104 at hot, 83 at cool end. Lights only on for 12 hours and it sleeps at 7pm mostly. I handle everyday and it is very calm and happily sleeps on me when it is close to its bedtime. paper towel substrate

Is this ok for it? that it is only eating 5-7 crix a day? i offer him more crix later on during the day but he refuses to eat them. The poop looks normal and nicely formed. He has a water bowl he splashes in like once a day. He has stress marks under his belly. Should i try offering woodies and it takes them can they fully replace crix?

Yeah. It takes them about a week or so to get settled in before they start eating normally.
Mine ate about the same as yours when I first got him. He was 6 weeks as well. As long as he poops fine on a regular basis you're good.
I give my guy these things called Beardie Bites instead of veggies. They look like ham cubes but its like a protein mix with fruits and veggies. Didn't touch veggies at all. But, these things he took to right away.

chewybd

Original Poster
Cool i'll give him a little bit more time then, nice to hear others have some stubborn babies like my one and have gotten over it. i have seen those pellet things with a beardie on the packet in the pet stores but never looked what they were used for, i'll go this arvo and buy a small packet and test my luck.

I bought 3 packs of small crickets in anticipation that it would be eating 1 pack every day (~50 crix per pack), but so far i have 2 and a half packs left, and some of them are even medium-large crickets now :?
Still tossing up if i should buy small woodies.... Should i throw out the medium/large crickets since they are a bit big compared to his head even now

He'll have a hard time digesting the large crickets. You'll notice it in his poop. Stick to small ones for now. I didn't feed mine anything larger then medium sized crickets until he was big enough for supers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom