New baby beardie concerns

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
So we took in a new baby beardie who was not thriving in his previous owners home. We have him set up in a 40 gallon tank at the moment with uvb light (reptisun 10.0 t8 8.5" from basking log) and the heat lamp placement is 13" from basking and keeps the basking area at 104.6°F and cool side sits at 82°f. The first few days Onyx was eating well and was very active. But for the last 4 days he has shown no interest in eating and is almost never awake. We have been doing daily electrolyte baths as directed by the vet I spoke to, but they did not express concern over the lack of eating and activity. I, however, am rather concerned as he went from eating well and being active to not eating at all and is extremely small. Before his morning bath you can see his ribs which is how he was when we got him. Should I be worried? Is there something more I could do for him at this point that the vet did not tell me? I attached pictures of him after his bath, but he is almost 12 weeks old. I may just be over worrying due to losing Osiris, but I figured getting the opinion of other beardie moms and dads wouldn't hurt.
Ps: it should be noted that Onyx is from the same clutch as our Levi (completely healthy), Leonidas (has defect in nose where one side of his nose has no opening) and our late Osiris (born with a perforated colon).

Attachments

• 20230406_094954.jpg
    20230406_094954.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230406_095004.jpg
    20230406_095004.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 51

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So we took in a new baby beardie who was not thriving in his previous owners home. We have him set up in a 40 gallon tank at the moment with uvb light (reptisun 10.0 t8 8.5" from basking log) and the heat lamp placement is 13" from basking and keeps the basking area at 104.6°F and cool side sits at 82°f. The first few days Onyx was eating well and was very active. But for the last 4 days he has shown no interest in eating and is almost never awake. We have been doing daily electrolyte baths as directed by the vet I spoke to, but they did not express concern over the lack of eating and activity. I, however, am rather concerned as he went from eating well and being active to not eating at all and is extremely small. Before his morning bath you can see his ribs which is how he was when we got him. Should I be worried? Is there something more I could do for him at this point that the vet did not tell me? I attached pictures of him after his bath, but he is almost 12 weeks old. I may just be over worrying due to losing Osiris, but I figured getting the opinion of other beardie moms and dads wouldn't hurt.
Ps: it should be noted that Onyx is from the same clutch as our Levi (completely healthy), Leonidas (has defect in nose where one side of his nose has no opening) and our late Osiris (born with a perforated colon).
Is your UVB inside the tank? If not it should be --- please adjust -- next start feeding some critical care herbivore / carnivore if you have it--- if not get some baby food chicken and feed -- see if he will lick off the spoon if not syringe feed mix w/ water so its a soupy consistency-- small amounts like .5 ml feed very slowly if going by syringe --- please stop the baths for now and get hydration into him by the syringe --- feed 3 times per day

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
I just got some of the critical care this morning se we are going to give it a try. We had to feed Osiris like this too before she passed 😞 hopefully Onyx pulls out of this ok. I will keep you posted on progress

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I wouldn't use a syringe for water, to much chance of aspiration. An eyedropper would be safer, you can control the amount of water better with it. You can try adding a little none citrus fruit juice or punch to the water, the flavor may entice him to drink it better. If it runs down his chin (and it most likely will) be sure to use a wet cloth to wipe it off, the fruit juice could start bacteria or fungus in his scales. ( not likely in the short term, but why take a chance) the sugar in the juice may help him to have a little more energy to.

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
For water he seems to be taking to locking drips of water off my finger. He took just under 1ml of critical care so fat so hopefully that will pick up soon. I just found out the remaining clutchmate which a friend took in is having the same issues. Out of 5 hatchlings, only 1 is doing great which sucks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
For water he seems to be taking to locking drips of water off my finger. He took just under 1ml of critical care so fat so hopefully that will pick up soon. I just found out the remaining clutchmate which a friend took in is having the same issues. Out of 5 hatchlings, only 1 is doing great which sucks.
Ok I wonder what happened w/ the breeding? Was this a private breeder?

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
Ok I wonder what happened w/ the breeding? Was this a private breeder?
Yes it was a private breeder. I know quite a few people who have bought beardies from her in the past that had no issues, but something seems to have happened to this clutch. I, of course, did not pay for the sick ones. I agreed to take them in as she stated she needed them rehomed before she moves several states away. She stated she was concerned for how they would fair with traveling so far in their condition. I was also just informed that it was a clutch of 7, but 2 passed when only around a week old due to failure to thrive (this is what the breeder said).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes it was a private breeder. I know quite a few people who have bought beardies from her in the past that had no issues, but something seems to have happened to this clutch. I, of course, did not pay for the sick ones. I agreed to take them in as she stated she needed them rehomed before she moves several states away. She stated she was concerned for how they would fair with traveling so far in their condition. I was also just informed that it was a clutch of 7, but 2 passed when only around a week old due to failure to thrive (this is what the breeder said).
Ok well we are pulling for the little one-- do the best you can -- it is sad when this happens -- keep me posted on him / her please

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely feed with care, because they aspirate so easily. As suggested, use a plastic dropper
to drip water & food onto his nose with, so he can just lick that off in small amounts. Bless him.
That is too bad, I hate to hear the entire clutch isn't doing well. Unfortunately that happens if any
inbreeding goes on especially.
We are all hoping for a great outcome here!

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom