New baby bearded dragon wont poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorD

Hi everyone,

I am a new bearded dragon owner and just recently purchased my first baby beardie. He is one month old. I got him thursday afternoon after him been shipped tuesday. My concern is that i have not seen him poop yet which means he hasn't relieved himself since tuesday which is 6 days today. The poor baby is still full of relocation stress marks and is taking his time to settle in. I have been battling to get him to eat anything but on friday i got him to eat 3 dubia roaches and today he ate 5 dubia roaches. I have been giving him a bath every day so far but that doesnt seem to help although he enjoys them so much he wants to fall alseep in the warm water haha and dont worry i am always watching him. So can anyone tell me if its just me stressing and he hasn't ate a lot of food and this is why he hasn't gone to the bathroom? I think if he was impacted, because the breeder fed him mealworms, he would of surely gone to the bathroom already from the daily baths. Could anyone also give me tips on how to get him eating more ? Any comments or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Extra information about setup:
50 gallon tank
UVB bulb is Reptisun 10.0 tube
50watt heating lamp
Cold side temp +-85°F (temps recorded with digital thermometer)
Basking temp +-105°F
Repti calcium and Reptivite from ZooMed
88044-7128349691.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Since you only just brought him home - he's more than likely just undergoing some relocation stress and is just adjusting to a new enclosure (it's very big for such a little hatchling and probable a bit overwhelming to him) , the new environment (house and surroundings), new foods, new routines, new people .

How big is he ? (in grams)

I would suggest some olive oil given orally by syringe - if he's under 20g , I think maybe 0.1ml of olive oil (a little at a time) .The give him a day or two to go to the bathroom.

You are probably overdoing the bathing (unless he likes his bath time).

If he's eating two or three live insect feeds per day he should be pooing daily as a little hatchling his size. Once he settles in and his appetite grows you'll think he's an eating-pooing machine for a few months.

Can you tell us what the feeding schedule is ?
and what he gets in each live insect meal (how many , what size) ?

Can you tell us the lighting schedule (when the lights / heat is turned on / off) each day. (do you have the lights and heat on for at least 15 hrs per day).

O/night temperatures in his enclosure ? if too chilly he will benefit from o/night tank heating.

substrate ? please - not sand .

ConnorD

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1vzorzpi said:
Since you only just brought him home - he's more than likely just undergoing some relocation stress and is just adjusting to a new enclosure (it's very big for such a little hatchling and probable a bit overwhelming to him) , the new environment (house and surroundings), new foods, new routines, new people .

How big is he ? (in grams)<<< have not weighed him yet but he is most probably under 20 grams

I would suggest some olive oil given orally by syringe - if he's under 20g , I think maybe 0.1ml of olive oil (a little at a time) .The give him a day or two to go to the bathroom.<<< thank you i will try.

You are probably overdoing the bathing (unless he likes his bath time).<<< i will start bathing less, i was just seeing if it would make him go to the bathroom, although he does seem to like his baths, he never tries to run out like other beardies and enjoys the being in the warm water

If he's eating two or three live insect feeds per day he should be pooing daily as a little hatchling his size. Once he settles in and his appetite grows you'll think he's an eating-pooing machine for a few months.<<< haha i do hope so, although his appetite seems to be increasing as he has been eating daily, something is better than nothing.

Can you tell us what the feeding schedule is ?
and what he gets in each live insect meal (how many , what size) ? <<< since i have just gotten him, what i want my feeding schedule to be since he is still so young is i try feeding him 3x a day for 10-15minutes but that's if he only shows an interest in the food, if not then i just wait till next feeding time (morning/afternoon/evening). I prepared in advance and started a dubia roach colony so he is currently feeding on baby nymph dubias. He seems to enjoy them but only when they moving haha. Friday he ate 3 dubias, yesterday he ate 5 and this morning after warming him up he ate 4 dubias. I am dusting his feeder insects 5 days a week per one feeding with calcium and 1-2days of multivitamins.

Can you tell us the lighting schedule (when the lights / heat is turned on / off) each day. (do you have the lights and heat on for at least 15 hrs per day). <<< currently at the moment my schedule is 12 hours on, 12 hours off so from 6:30am to 6:30pm, although he has been going to bed earlier like at 5pm, maybe just because he is still a baby. But last night he went to sleep when his lights got turned off so maybe he is getting used to the schedule.

O/night temperatures in his enclosure ? if too chilly he will benefit from o/night tank heating. <<< i am from SA and it is currently summer here so night temps are in middle 70's°F

substrate ? please - not sand .
<<< haha and no i have done my research. He is on newspaper. Thanks for the help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom