New baby BDs... stress marks wont go away....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
I got the two babies last Thursday. They are in a i think 10gallon glass tank, paper towels and a branch for climbing. I also put a water bowl in there. They have a basking light and a reptisun 10.0 compact. Its the same set up i used with my other BD when I got her around the same size. The stress marks where pretty much gone on the 2nd day.. and now they are back.. and really dark. I'm worried about them.. oh and they are also shedding.. couldnt this have caused it... hes like full body head arms and legs shedding but not the tail, the other is just shedding her tail.... They get greens in the morning and 1/4" crickets 2 times a day dusted with calcium and D3... What can i do to get them to relax? I also taped up the sides of the tank.. but not the back because it faces the wall anyways.... Help.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. The uvb you have has been known to cause eye problems, appetite and lethargy problems? Are they housed together? If so please separate them as that is probably also stressing them out. A 10 gallon tank is not big enough for one let alone 2. Petco is a having a dollar a gallon sale so you can get a 40gallon breader which is the minimum for one beardie. The reptisun 10.0 is the most recommended uvb on here. It should be mounted in the tank so they can get within 6 to 8 inches of it.

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm getting a second tank today. As far a bigger tank goes isn't a 40g too big? They are only 5-6wks old and can barely catch the crickets as it is.. I will get a full length UVB bulb.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
All 3 of mine were babies and they each stared in their own 40 gallon. They grow very fast. Mine loved it and were never stressed over it. In fact my last one was sharing a 20 gallon with her cage mate and brought her home had her own 40 gallon and she just was so much happier and she grew so fast :D She went from 9 inches and 36 grams( she was 4 months or so the owner said) to now 368 grams and she is 16 inches. They do so much better by themselves. She's 16 months so she's still got some growing to do.

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've always kept my BDs seperately.. This was only temporary. Do you have a pick of your set up? How did you mount the UVB on the inside?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
I use a under the cabinet light fixture from Walmart and command hooks. Some other people on here use industrial velcro. You can also go to like Lowes or homedepot and get a light fixture.

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
they are both now in their own 20L tank, I didnt want to get a 40 since i'm in the processed on making enclosures for all my bearded dragons. I did change the lamps out for a reptisun 10.0 24" light. The girl is doing great, no more stress marks and she eats like a pig. still a bit of a clumsy hunter... she misses a lot. The boy on the other hand.. still has stress marks :[ but he eats so much more that she does.. and has out grown her... he poops regularly sometimes twice a day and has fully shed. shes barely going into shed, she shed her tail now its the rest of her that is getting the greyish color. i'm a little worried about him, he eats and bask and is active.. im trying not to handle him at all unless its to clean the tank..and even then i just pick up his backing log with him on it. is there anything else i can do to help with his stress?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
All you can really do now that you have correct lighting is let them get use to their new homes. Sometimes relocation stress can last for a week or 2. Glad they are doing better :D

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So duke still has stress marks and a semi dark beard.. :[
76535E6C-1EC6-4578-9E00-2638852D5B64.jpg

This is him in the tank...
B9B3956B-FC9B-425B-8701-543898DC360B.jpg

I have him a bath and he lightens up a bit..
I changed his UVB to a tube and temps are good.. His appetite hasn't changed.. If it moves he'll eat it.
I don't know what else it could be... It's been a month now... I'm worried for the little guy.. The female is doing fine... No problems with her all stress marks gone.
He's a bit of a hisser too :\

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
I noticed that he can see his reflection, which can cause stress. You could try taping some paper on the lower portion of his tank to block his reflection. He is a cute little guy. Most little ones won't eat veggies. I feed my live feeders the same veggies I give my dragons.

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will try that. I have all side that face other dragons tapped up... Poor little guy I feel so bad :(

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Please don't feel bad. Let us know how he is doing tomorrow. One of my males has stress marks whenever he is in his enclosure. If I take him outside or let him sit in his window the stress marks go away :roll:

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've been trying to slowly handle him more too.. But he doesn't seem to like me much... His stress marks do get lighter when I take him out.. Maybe he hates his Viv..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom