New at breeding??

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguy67

Original Poster
If you read my first post on this thread you would know that I was asking for tips on how to breed them. Every breeder has their own experiences with breeding, and I was simply asking for advice on what to do. I get the message that they are too young. Also how can I possibly know what advice people will give me with out talking to them before??? I may have come across strongly, but I under stand where everyone stands. I already apologized for coming across as rude, but as far as being rude and "jumping down people's throats" it is not me being rude, even your signature proves that. If I were you I would go back and re-read.

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
I must admit that your dragons are a wee bit too young for breeding right now. I would take some time to make sure that they were ready. Beardie mating is a very brutal act and large size differences could result in some missing body parts.

Also, and please do not bite my head off, researching how to make a baby is far different than doing it yourself.

I am going to post a link that would be very helpful for you to check out. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124116

The people on this site really care about the beardies and only want what's best for them. We aren't here to judge you, but we've seen the sad faces of the babies that got brought here by someone who isn't half ready and we've witnessed deaths of beardies that have been bred improperly and even too young. Everyone who commented on your thread were just trying to help.

We aren't here to tell you what you want to hear, but the truth. You had some pretty amazing breeders give you some honest, successful advice. You should take off your armor and just listen.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
theguy67":13c12pnr said:
If you read my first post on this thread you would know that I was asking for tips on how to breed them. Every breeder has their own experiences with breeding, and I was simply asking for advice on what to do. I get the message that they are too young. Also how can I possibly know what advice people will give me with out talking to them before??? I may have come across strongly, but I under stand where everyone stands. I already apologized for coming across as rude, but as far as being rude and "jumping down people's throats" it is not me being rude, even your signature proves that. If I were you I would go back and re-read.
Oh I freely admit that I am mean or rude or cold or whatever you want to call me but if I am asking for advice I tend to take the advice given instead of responding angrily because the advice goes against what I think. So in essence its not me that needs to re-read anything. But thanks for the suggestion.

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
Okay you two. Enough of that. This has nothing to do with the topic in question.

Brain, simmer down! :)

To the OP: I really hope that you honestly look past the act of mating and hatching eggs and look into what all is involved. Please ask questions over the course of 6-8 months until your beardies are ready. We really aim for the best for you and your beardies.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
This post is getting off topic and not in a good way.Please keep all posts to the OP's original question and keep the nastiness out of it.If you have relevant data to post then please do so but if your just here to bash each other then let it be known now that further rude comments will result in warnings or bannings based on what I see fit in doing at that moment in time.

To the OP one important thing that people failed to mention here is that one of the major reasons we recommend you wait until your animals are two years of age is to prevent prolapse in both the male and femal.Females especially are more likely to prolapse when they are bred at too young an age or overbred but males can also become subject to this as well.Also I would like to add that you verify your animals genetic backround to ensure there is no inbreeding involved as that can result in very weak offspring as well.If you cannot verify this then I do not suggest you mate these two.When it does come time to breed them I recommend you introduce them slowly and watch carefully to ensure that it does not get overly aggressive(aside form the basic breeding aggressions) and I do not recommend housing them together as it often results in a lack of interest to breed and it can aslo result in injury to one or both animals should one be interested while the other is not.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Well I typed out a very long reply last night maybe it was a blessing in disguise that I got kicked offline and lost it. I'm glad you understand why the majority of us would say they are too young. It's not the fact that they can't it's just not the best timing for the health of your parents or any hatchlings to be.

Twobeardieguy":3abwvxjk said:
Yes they are maturing at that age however most people don't have there dragons weight and calcium intake up that is why I said 2 years. At such a younger age their body`s are going to get stressed harder!
This leads me to a question I thought of with the OP's first post....
What is the weight and measurements of your female? This would be one of the first thing that you should consider before detemining if she should be bred or not even if she's old enough.

Have you had vet checks and do they have a clean bill of health?

I noticed you stated.....
I will wholesale the babies if I can not sale them at retail price, or trade for supplies, equipment, ect.
Hmmm....keep in mind that you would only beable to wholesale as many as the retailer buys. So if they are moving slow for them...how will that affect you? When you have 100+ babies to find homes for? Plus many pet stores are not willing to purchase from private breeders or have their breeders already picked out. Not only that once you are producing your own babies your not going to want to sentence them to any time spent at a pet store.

Diane made a very good point but this we already know...Vicky pointed out something that many times is a overlooked possiblity. BTW...it does happen that the male prolapses and it I have seen some ugly cases that even ended up as fatal for some pet store beardies that don't always have clean husbandry or vet care. It's pretty sad when a male beardie looses his manlyhood. :(

Now to the part of this thread that I must say something folks.

About my friend Brian...he is not rude! Brian has yes been trained by the military which btw we should all be grateful for. He is a very straight forward, no sugar coating, type of guy. I have learned more from that young man alone than may others on this site. He's got rough edges but he's very intellegent...utilize his knowledge instead of getting offended an you will be much smarter for it...I am. :mrgreen:

Now that's all out of the way...I don't think I've ever said this to theguy67....
Welcome to the site!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom