New and looking to get a BD soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
I currently am into Freshwater fish tanks currently.

I have a 40g with Bolivian Rams, 40g with Shell Dwellers and my main tank a 75g with Green Terrors and Firemouths. I like Cichlids more then the usual Freshwater fish.

I have always wanted a reptile, but never got into the hobby. Was very interested in getting a Leopard Gecko, but I find BDs so much more... entertaining. I am looking at tearing down my 75g and putting a BD in there. Just need to know what I will need, mainly lighting wise.

EDIT(BIG lol)

Ok, so the more I am seeing all these cages, the more I am realizing I may not need to tear down my 75g. I may just tear down a 40g, and use that for a year or two to house my BD in, and once she/she is big enough I will make a tank myself(I have made stands for fish tanks that hold 1000's of pounds of water... so I figure it cannot be difficult) anyways, I will do a 40g for now.

With a 40g(Breeder size 36x18x16) what will I need for lighting?
Lighting: Which length Reptisun UVB 10.0 bulb do I need? And what other lights besides a heat light? Anything for a tank this size?
Substrate: Tile or possibly the repti-carpet or Slate
Decor: Slate as dark as I can find, or just the cool black multi colored rock around my house. Nice large chunk of wood that goes from side to side.

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
18" reptisun is fine for a 40 gallon, you need your UVB and a basking light getting up to the right temperature

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply!

I actually have a spare 20"(it fits an 18" bulb) hood light fixture, so I can make great use of that! I Also have two of those shop lights waiting for bulbs. Any particular brand/model I should be looking for?

I live in AZ, my house never goes below 73 in winter and never above 81 in summer... so I am betting it will be easy to heat my tank up.

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I had ordered a few things from pet mountain a week ago for a leopard gecko(I was so close.. lol) but now that I am going to beardies, I will not need this stuff... maybe.

I had gotten a 3 in 1 hide that will be too small I am sure for a beardie, but I also had gotten a 8" x 6" 8W heat mat. Could I use this? Maybe put it under the basking area to help keep the rocks and substrate warm? Or should I just hold onto it for a leo if I ever want to try them out?

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
A few questions. A sale is ending in 10 hours online, and I am wanting to get everything needed for a bearded.

I will be using a 40 gallon.

What wattage will I need if I got a PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor UVB Lamp bulb. Has two options, 100W and a 160W.

Will I need any other bulbs in my tank? My houses ambient temp is mid 70s during winter and high 70s to low 80s in summer.

Vitamins, what will I need? Any particular brand?

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
I'd read up on the powersun, I think I saw some negative things on here, I'd heat w/ a basking bulb and your UVB and in your climate that may do it. Try to get a tight beam basking bulb and wouldn't use an under the tank heating pad, they really don't need it and not too many people favor it for safety issues.

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have heard nothing but good things from people on here and else where.

Only complaints I hear are about some bulbs going out with in the first few days/months.

I will not be using my UTH for my BD.. :p

Oh and I ordered both the Powersun MVB(sp?) and the Reptisun 10.0 18" and some supplements.

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What is everyone's thoughts on buying from a LPS(Local Pet Store[bigbox])?

I know when I was going to get into Leopard Geckos people would literally bash the hell out of you for even bringing it up. Which actually was a big reason for me not even wanting to own one, and then be associated with people like that, and then having to ask for help... lol nah ah!

So, thoughts on buying from local big box stores?

Obviously have to look for nips, and crooked backs/tails.. What are the down sides?

And I do not plan to breed, whether it is from a reputable breeder or not.. FYI.

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
I got my baby from my local pet store, and he is doing great! As long as you have done your research then I would say it is fine to get one from a pet store, at least you will know what he needs and doesn't need if they try to sell you stuff that is wrong.

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was REALLY wanting to get a smaller Beardy, but I had found an AMAZING looking dude online but he is 12.5"+ and the lady said he may even be bigger now, up to 14"!

I wanted to get a smaller baby one so it can grow up with me, but at the same time.. this guy is amazing. Would it be okay to get a bigger one? How likely is it he will "like" me.. or should I say.. how long will it take.

I may get a baby just since it is my first one... and this one online is quite a bit of money... haha

Thoughts?

XiDiS

Juvie Member
If the bigger one has been raised well i would say go for it. From the research i have done a bigger one is easier to care for.

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So, I feel like I will be settling if I get anything else now.

I am going to be getting this awesome guy!

Hypo Citrus Tangerine/Red @ 12"(but the lady said he is prolly closer to 14" now)

P1480529-640x480_zps4e46c8b5.jpg

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
That is a very pretty! I got a baby then I got a 5 month old and I love them both I don't regret getting the baby, but the bigger one is easier to get out, I didn't feel like I would break it or smush it. Either way you go would be great!

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Got my lights and some vitamins!

20130124_112945_zps65260d01.jpg

Which light should I use!?

Questions I have:
What other light/s should I use in combination with the reptisun 10.0?
And what is a suitable dome fixture for the MVB bulb, if I should use it?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom