Neighbours Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warrior

Hatchling Member
My neighbours Son came to me today and asked if i'd have a look at his Beardie to see if i could tell what was wrong with it.

I arrived there and saw it, it's only about 4 inches, incredibly soft to touch, almost like sponge, it can't move its back legs and its head is just on the ground with its mouth dropping open.

He also has a hard lump on the bottom of his spine, above his tail.

Seems to me like he's got Bone Disease and Impaction and possibly tail rot...

Are there anythings they can do? she is worried vet bills will be high so she wants to know if theres anything they can do in the meantime.

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
Get a RetiSun 10.0 bulb for the viv (cost about $30 but it is soooo worth it) . Take it off of any loose substrate and replace with paper towels. More than likely though they are gonna need some medication for the MBD b/c if its jaw is hanging its likely not to be able to eat either. Will prob have to start force feeding stage 1 chicken baby food from a syringe. Do you have any more specifics on the enviornment the beardie is in? Definently sounds like a vet visit is the best case scenario, but I know that probably can't happen given their situation...

Do they have uvb lighting?
What substrate is it on?
How old is it?
Temps in the cage?

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Impaction can be treated in the early stages.
What I would suggest is that with the earlier stages of a mild impaction, you may be able to offer your bearded dragon some relief by giving him a warm bath and gently massaging his abdomen. Massaging gently down towards the vent may assist your bearded dragon in moving an impaction down through his digestive tract, so that he can pass it. Another thing that may help is to dose your bearded dragon with a few drops of vegetable oil, prior to bathing him, to help move things along more easily.
However the bump and paralysis indicate a more serious case and need vets attention. Unfortunately without a vet there is nothing your neighbours can do to help as its too far gone. sorry.

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
If he is really that bad, the vet will be the only option. The poor guy is probably suffering because of those issues, and they will just be making it worse by not taking him in. While they wait, a warm bath and some applesauce or oil to help with the impaction. Keep him warm. I would tell them that they need to take him to the vet as soon as possible (within the next day). He's very small and not very strong. With all those diseases, he won't last much longer.

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
catUK":2uawpcju said:
Impaction can be treated in the early stages.
What I would suggest is that with the earlier stages of a mild impaction, you may be able to offer your bearded dragon some relief by giving him a warm bath and gently massaging his abdomen. Massaging gently down towards the vent may assist your bearded dragon in moving an impaction down through his digestive tract, so that he can pass it. Another thing that may help is to dose your bearded dragon with a few drops of vegetable oil, prior to bathing him, to help move things along more easily.
However the bump and paralysis indicate a more serious case and need vets attention. Unfortunately without a vet there is nothing your neighbours can do to help as its too far gone. sorry.
X2 :cry:

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
I just really do not get or understand how a person can have a pet, and not do the proper research on its care.. instead they assume things, and end up with their pet very sick or dead.
"hmm.. bearded dragons are from the desert, so I can keep it on sand with no UVB light and only feed it bugs once a week" :banghead:

Its difficult to blame the people because the people who sell them to you in the petstores claim to know what they are talking about and they give you a lot of misinformation. A young child will believe these alleged experts and then the bearded dragon suffers. I dont think its fair to blame to people. Yes maybe they should have done more online research, but when people who claim to own and understand these reptiles sell them to you and tell you the wrong information you cant really help it.

I hope he does better. It does sound like calcium problems. I had the same problem with my bearded dragon. I got a calcium prescription and he is healthy as ever now.
Until my prescription came in though, I bought the Zilla brand liquid calcium and a new UVB source. I would drip 2-3 drops f the liquid calcium on his nose so he woudl drink it. It seemed like he made a complete recovery overnight with the new bulb and the calcium. They can try this until they can get the prescription from the vet, but I would say a vet is needed.

Good luck and let us know how he is doing.

Warrior

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
In honesty, it is the owners fault.
I had my Bearded Dragon last May but months and months before I got him, I'd read everything I could find, I joined this forum prior to getting him just to learn that little bit extra.
These people saw my Beardie and just decided "they want one" I didn't even have the opportunity to advise because they didn't tell me they had one.

But the poor thing is suffering :-(

I did hours and hours of research on bearded dragons and I still had the same problem. So I dont think its fair to blame these poeple when you dont even know what their story is. That doesnt help them fix the situation.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you caring for the dragon currently, or just helping out the neighbor with his dragon?
It may be easier for you to take him in for awhile to get him back to health & then educate them on the proper care & lighting for him once he is better. A reptile that is ill in this fashion is not for beginners & takes a good amount of time to get them back to health.
Do you have any pictures at all?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom