need your guys' opinions on cage plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

Ok, I'm so struggling with coming up with a plan for my beardies cage.

I'm settled on using 3/4" plywood for the actual cage. Not sure exactly what type of wood it is (I'll have to ask my dad LOL) but it is really gorgeous and extremely smooth. I've essentially made up my mind that this is what I'm going to use. I used melamine to make my boa's 4x2x2 cage and it is just way to heavy, so that material would be one of my last options. As for enclosure size it will either be 4x2x2 or 3x2x2.

I'm completely lost with what to do with this wooden cage. I was thinking about lining the entire inside with linoleum but now I'm doubting that idea. Would there be any downside to doing this? Are there any dangerous vapors in the lino? It is the same lino that you would use in a bathroom (actually..it's in our bathroom :p) and has no adhesive on it. I mean it isn't like stick on lino. Also, what adhesive is safe for securing the lino to the wood?

My second idea would be to paint the inside and lay either tile or just lino on the floor.
1) From what I've read water based, latex paint (no mold/fungus resistant stuff) is safe right? Any other specs I should keep in mind? Actually, any brands you guys recommend?!
2) How exactly do you guys recommend I would lay out tile? I mean like you would tile a bathroom or ??
3) How long does lino generally last?

It would probably be wise to seal the outside of the cage just to protect from damage. Is it possible to seal the outside and stain over it later? Or should I just stain the outside now and seal? As for the inside of the cage, if I choose to paint will I need to paint a sealant over it or can I just paint it and leave it like that? I already have down which seam sealant I will be using so that isn't an issue.

Thanks for the help in advance guys!
Savannah

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
misspeachesx":lcdi7j4k said:
I'm settled on using 3/4" plywood for the actual cage. Not sure exactly what type of wood it is (I'll have to ask my dad LOL) but it is really gorgeous and extremely smooth. I've essentially made up my mind that this is what I'm going to use. I used melamine to make my boa's 4x2x2 cage and it is just way to heavy, so that material would be one of my last options. As for enclosure size it will either be 4x2x2 or 3x2x2.
Most people go with a 4x2x2 for a custom enclosure. - Best size for an adult beardie, unless you want to go bigger.
I'm completely lost with what to do with this wooden cage. I was thinking about lining the entire inside with linoleum but now I'm doubting that idea. Would there be any downside to doing this? Are there any dangerous vapors in the lino? It is the same lino that you would use in a bathroom (actually..it's in our bathroom ) and has no adhesive on it. I mean it isn't like stick on lino. Also, what adhesive is safe for securing the lino to the wood?
I would stick with a ceramic tile. You dont want to use anything that is self adhesive, and I don't think the lino would do too well under the heating conditions it will be in. Ceramic holds heat better and helps with BDs nails. Also is very easy to clean as well.
My second idea would be to paint the inside and lay either tile or just lino on the floor.
1) From what I've read water based, latex paint (no mold/fungus resistant stuff) is safe right? Any other specs I should keep in mind? Actually, any brands you guys recommend?!
2) How exactly do you guys recommend I would lay out tile? I mean like you would tile a bathroom or ??
3) How long does lino generally last?
1) yes it is
2) I just layed mine in the bottom. You want a tight fit, with no cracks or crevices that your BD could get a foot or claw stuck in.
3) Not sure, with the heating conditons - I wouldn't guess very long
It would probably be wise to seal the outside of the cage just to protect from damage. Is it possible to seal the outside and stain over it later? Or should I just stain the outside now and seal? As for the inside of the cage, if I choose to paint will I need to paint a sealant over it or can I just paint it and leave it like that? I already have down which seam sealant I will be using so that isn't an issue.
Whether painting or staining, everything needs to be sealed well. This will be a good precaution and will make cleanup easier in any case. It will also allow the enclosure to be used and last longer. Sealant will keep liquids from seeping into the wood causing damage and/or rot and mold.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I can't help you too much with your other questions, but I do use linoleum flooring in Dudley's viv and it works really well! It does have a smell to it, but no fumes. Barbara (Fresnowhite I think? She is the breeder who has Zak-n-Wheezie.) uses it for her beardie's vivs tool. :) It is really durable and super easy to clean. I just use Velcro to stick it to the bottom of my viv.

misspeachesx

Original Poster
AllanonsWrath":3bh9c0re said:
Whether painting or staining, everything needs to be sealed well. This will be a good precaution and will make cleanup easier in any case. It will also allow the enclosure to be used and last longer. Sealant will keep liquids from seeping into the wood causing damage and/or rot and mold.

What sealant do you recommend? And thank you so much for answering all of my questions! Very helpful!

misspeachesx

Original Poster
Jess":2gosq1lc said:
I can't help you too much with your other questions, but I do use linoleum flooring in Dudley's viv and it works really well! It does have a smell to it, but no fumes. Barbara (Fresnowhite I think? She is the breeder who has Zak-n-Wheezie.) uses it for her beardie's vivs tool. :) It is really durable and super easy to clean. I just use Velcro to stick it to the bottom of my viv.

You don't have any issues with your beardie not getting traction? I've heard that as an issue with some people.

Thanks!

zillathakilla

Juvie Member
Any wood is fine other than cedar i think,i heard theres one type of wood which is dangerous for beardies,just like avacados >.<, 4x2x2 will be plenty big,mines 5x3x2 and i could hosue multiple beardies lol,slate/ceramic tiles work wonders for substrate,easy to clean and they file there nails down which is always nice, sorry if this is already been said i just reply to some threads without reading xD

dylanjs

Is it recommended to permanently affix and grout the tile to the bottom? Do you use wood sealant underneath that then?

zillathakilla

Juvie Member
I didn't grout mine to the bottom because that way you can take them all out,soak and scrub them, and clean anything thats under the tiles and then put them back and it's all squeaky clean! :D

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I would seal everything before putting it together. Measure, cut, seal, assemble. Once it is sealed, you can paint it or use aquarium backgrounds for the walls and use whatever type of substrate you like. I have vinyl tile in Charlie's viv. No smell that I can detect and it looks very nice. It took Charlie a good few days of slipping and sliding, but he got the hang of it and gets around no problem now.

misspeachesx

Original Poster
AtlasStrike":2e66fc9t said:
I would seal everything before putting it together. Measure, cut, seal, assemble. Once it is sealed, you can paint it or use aquarium backgrounds for the walls and use whatever type of substrate you like. I have vinyl tile in Charlie's viv. No smell that I can detect and it looks very nice. It took Charlie a good few days of slipping and sliding, but he got the hang of it and gets around no problem now.

Any advice on what sealant to use?

zillathakilla

Juvie Member
I used some coking for a few things in his cage,the fumes can be bad for them but if you leave the cage to air out for a day or 2 you won't have any worries

misspeachesx

Original Poster
zillathakilla":2zkmw19y said:
I used some coking for a few things in his cage,the fumes can be bad for them but if you leave the cage to air out for a day or 2 you won't have any worries

Are you talking about caulking?? Like I said, I already know how to seal the interior edges of the cage. I'm just not sure what sealant to paint over the wood and the paint.

Thanks!

zillathakilla

Juvie Member
Hahaha sorry i was unsure how to spell it,yes caulking but as far as wood sealants go i haven't a clue sorry =/,anything non-toxic usely works best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom