Need UVB during brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaceysBuddy

Juvie Member
Since Buddy is brumating right now, do I need her UVB light on?
She is always in her cave, sleeping. I can't even see her face most of the time. When I do take her out, I understand the light needs to be on. I have had it on this entire time but it kind of seems like a waste since she isn't in it.

Hopefully this is a quick question.

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
I keep it on. Brumnation isn't as deep a sleep as hibernation so sometimes my beardie will wake up and have a wander while im not there. Its also good to keep up the day/night cycles, because light and heat will still get to your beardie, even if its just a glimpse at the cave entrance. I cut mine down to an 8hr cycle and i know some people have a 6hr cycle. :) When your beardie comes out of brumnation, just slowly start upping the cycle hours.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
If they are out for the winter, you can cut back the light cycle considerably. I know a few folks who only turn on lights for 4 to 6 hours a day at most, and others who just keep their lights on the usual 12 on/ 12 off cycle. You could try cycling down to just 4 to 6 hours for a few weeks, and then cycling them back to normal when the weather starts to improve. Usually a reduction, and then increase, in light periods can easily trigger brumation as well as bring them back up out of it.

-Jen

StaceysBuddy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks.
I have her regular lights on a timed schedule already. I didn't really mess with that. The UVB light I have to turn on manually, even though the power to it is in the timer. The light fixture it's in has an on/off switch that turns off when the timer goes off. I've kept her UVB light on this whole time, hoping she is coming out when I'm not home but I doubt she is.
I figured it was a "better safe than sorry" answer. :p

I can't wait for her to wake up already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom