*NEED URGENT HELP*

Status
Not open for further replies.

HumorDragon

Hatchling Member
Ok to give you guys an idea: My dragon (Dibl) has become accustomed to super worms as his main food source and he will not notice crickets as a food item anymore. I began a super worm breeding project last year to try and save his food money but had to scrap it due to some really annoying moths. Now that my mom is taking care of him while I am at college she keeps them in a mason jar to keep them from escaping but we are finding them around the house.... any ideas on how to get rid of them? I really would like to change his protein source but it is literally impossible to acquire roaches of any kind...
Any advise would be helpful... Personally supers scare me and my mom and we would like a hands off way of getting rid of the escaped ones.
Thank you~

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Once superworms are introduced it is very difficult to get the dragon to switch to most other feeders, you might want to try a worm type though as it would be the most likely choice, being that superworms are worms. I would try silkworms. :wink:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
HumorDragon":1kfzxpul said:
Ok to give you guys an idea: My dragon (Dibl) has become accustomed to super worms as his main food source and he will not notice crickets as a food item anymore. I began a super worm breeding project last year to try and save his food money but had to scrap it due to some really annoying moths. Now that my mom is taking care of him while I am at college she keeps them in a mason jar to keep them from escaping but we are finding them around the house.... any ideas on how to get rid of them? I really would like to change his protein source but it is literally impossible to acquire roaches of any kind...
Any advise would be helpful... Personally supers scare me and my mom and we would like a hands off way of getting rid of the escaped ones.
Thank you~

What are you finding escaped around the house? Superworms, moths or crickets? I'm confused - what is in the mason jar? Sorry..!

HumorDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ShannyBeard":36x5wvv2 said:
HumorDragon":36x5wvv2 said:
Thank you~

What are you finding escaped around the house? Superworms, moths or crickets? I'm confused - what is in the mason jar? Sorry..!
We are finding the worms themselves, and a mason jar is basically what you can jelly in.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
I don't know if this will help you, but I made bug houses like this :

tumblr_lzh80pLboN1qk43ago1_500.png

and have superworms in one of the blue ones for three weeks and have not had an escape. They can't climb the walls and I haven't seen evidence of them chewing. I don't know if that would help at all. I'm not sure how to get rid of the ones you're finding around.

As for roaches, do you live somewhere that they are illegal ? Or could you possibly order them on-line and have them sent ? I love my dubia, they're so easy to keep and work with. :D I'm not sure about them switching for a preferred feeder, I've heard people on here say they skipped a day feeding live food to try to get them more interested.

HumorDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I like the container idea. Yeah, the roaches I would want to work with are illegal here sadly (I live in Florida) and it is also my mom who feeds him... maybe if it was something that she would not actually have to be in close contact with?

TLWood

I am, pretty sure my bearded dragon is having a problem with calcium deficiency, it is real bad right now and there are no stores around that have anything for reptiles and it is late so i cant go out of town to find somewher, they will all be closed! What do I do? Is there anything I can use in substitute for now to help him? Untill I can get to a store that is open???

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
TLWood":ntj5ygy7 said:
I am, pretty sure my bearded dragon is having a problem with calcium deficiency, it is real bad right now and there are no stores around that have anything for reptiles and it is late so i cant go out of town to find somewher, they will all be closed! What do I do? Is there anything I can use in substitute for now to help him? Untill I can get to a store that is open???

Go ahead and start your own thread in Beardie ER forum. Please explain what your beardie is doing to make you think he has calcium deficiency, and if you can post pictures of him and his cage, that would be very helpful. In this new thread, tell us what kind and brand of lights that you use, your tank temperatures, type of thermometer you are using, the diet he is on, how often you feed and what supplements you use and we will help you in your thread.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear about the beardie looking like possible calcium deficiency. Like beardednoob said, post all that info in the emergency forum along with pictures. As far as superworms, you should continue to use them....if you buy in bulk, like 500 - 1,000 at a time [ reptilefood.com has them, as well as other places, just Google or look in the for sale section here] and set them up like the other poster showed, they are pretty cheap. I keep mine in a 7" high sweater box with no lid, they can't escape. Put oatmeal, a potato and a carrot in with them, they live for months, and they don't turn in to moths, they become a beetle. The only way they could escape is if something were leaning against the side of the tub, like a ramp for them to climb up.

HumorDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2bhcjc2g said:
Sorry to hear about the beardie looking like possible calcium deficiency. Like beardednoob said, post all that info in the emergency forum along with pictures. As far as superworms, you should continue to use them....if you buy in bulk, like 500 - 1,000 at a time [ reptilefood.com has them, as well as other places, just Google or look in the for sale section here] and set them up like the other poster showed, they are pretty cheap. I keep mine in a 7" high sweater box with no lid, they can't escape. Put oatmeal, a potato and a carrot in with them, they live for months, and they don't turn in to moths, they become a beetle. The only way they could escape is if something were leaning against the side of the tub, like a ramp for them to climb up.

ok, oh, the moths I know didn't come from the worms, I think that they had hitched a ride when my mom bought a new container of worms at the petstore. they had these little baby white worms that spun themselves into tight corners with a silk like stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom