Need to build a new structure for Felix’s cage, and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeSkull

One of the neatest things in Felix’s cage was this long spindly branch. It covered a LOT of space in his cage and It was great for climbing and getting him up to his basking hammock. He loved it. I’m referring to this in the past tense because the thing snapped in half a two minutes ago when I was trying to clean it off.

Now I would repurpose the pieces, but honestly the log was very old and I was trying to clean it because it seems debris was always crumbling off it. When inspecting it earlier I noticed some hollow parts that held even more debris and I honestly didn’t think it was safe for my dragon anymore.

I need a new alternative quick, because without it there’s just a LOT of negative space in his cage. All he’ll have is a half log and his hammock or his entire 40 Gallon tank and that won’t cut it for a lizard as energetic as him. I can’t buy a new one just now either.

I’m not much of a DIYer when it comes to things like this. I want to make sure anything I come up with would be totally safe. Only materials that I can list off the top of my head are two more half logs that REALLY need a good cleaning. I have some plastic bins I could probably empty and clean but they seem too slippery for the moment. And I DOUBT anything cardboard would be a good option.

If anyone knows anything that could possibly help, please share. I haven’t even told Felix I broke his favorite branch either and his rage is quite unforgiving. Thanks!

Hey! I have a few ideas for you.. I just bought this rope toy online: https://www.chewy.com/niteangel-small-animal-cotton-rope/dp/160548 I am planning to twist tie it to the top of the mesh lid and have it either hang down or act as a hammock, my baby beardy loves to climb. Also try looking at the cat or bird section in petco/pet smart. I bought a wooden/rope ladder in the bird section and have it hanging across the width of my cage and mine loves to jump up on it and run across. I use suction cups and secure it with heavy duty duct tape and it has never fallen down. For the cat section I would look for scratching posts in the shape of a ramp or some sorts so that he can run up it and also it would trim their nails a bit I'd assume.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Go outside, find some rocks and branches.

For branches you can give them a nice hot bath in a tub, then dry off, and then put in your oven at 250*F for about 30 minutes.
Or if the branch is too big you'll probably have to get all the bark off, then clean it off with hot water and then let it bake out in the sun.
Make sure the logs aren't rotting or anything.

For rocks you should be able to just wash them off in really warm water.
Also make sure the branches are not pine, cedar or anything toxic to reptiles.

I have quite a few logs that I found outside and cleaned off, one can't even fit in a 40 gallon and takes up all the space in a 75 gallon so its pretty large. Currently I use that one for a portable basking spot as it has a lot of climbing space on it, although its a bit too sanded down so my beardies have trouble clinging to it.
Theres a lot of variety in logs/branches.

DudeSkull

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses! I can’t make it to a pet store rn or order anything so I might go look around for something outside. Sadly most of the trees in my neighborhood are pine. The rest are some sort of birch. But there are lots of large rocks so I can probably find a really good one! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom