Need some clarification on uvb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I’m trying to get some clarification on which light is best to use that the repetition 10.0 T8 or 10.0 T5. Reptisun provides two charts to help you pick the correct uvb lightbulb. When using these charts it says ranges for bearded dragons on the T8 is 4-5inches. The T5 says 5-8inches. I have read that the T5 is not good to mount inside. It seems as though the T5 would be the best light at the 6-8 inch range from the dragon, not a t8.

My second question is, is it worth having more than one UVB light?

Why I’m asking: I have a bearded dragon now and it is my first. It’s only five months old and is having a lot of health issues(could be genetics). I’ve gone over the set up in the past on this website and with my veterinarian. I have the T8 10.0. It was mounted 6-8 inches from basking spot depending on where he is basking. After issue started, the vet and I looked at the zoomed lighting guide. After doing this the vet suggested moving the light closer, to 4-5 inch range. So, of course now with that and the health issues, I am second-guessing everything I’m doing.

Thanks
Chris

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
T 5's are a good strong bulb and is recommend for tanks 40 gallon and up --- it can sit on top of the tank approx 8-10 inches from basking decor -- the screen will block 30% of those rays -- if its in the tank it needs to be 12-15 inches from the decor piece
The T 8 is not as strong and needs to go inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from basking decor w/ NO cover over the bulb - all these specs are for fixtures w/ reflectors -- if the UVB tube has no reflector then the distance is different ---
the T 8's are good for your smaller tanks like a 20 gallon tank --- but larger tanks are better w/ the T 5 - you can use the T 8 in larger tanks but it is recommended that the T 5 be used - you only need one good UVB in a tank --- and one good bright white basking bulb -- if extra heat is needed for the tank it is best to use a CHE or ceramic heat emitter as they produce only heat and NO light -- my guess is the 6-8 inches for your UVB was too close and needs to be adjusted to the 8-10 inches in the tank
Karrie

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
Thanks karrie!
I have the T8 mounted inside, with home depot fixture. For the first two months or so I did not have a reflector?, then I made one out of tinfoil. I recently ordered the sun blaster and I will make the proper alterations to the reflector, like Claudius explained. I have a melamine enclosure that I built, the dimensions are 4x2x2.

I guess I will stick with the T8 in the sun blaster fixture, I’ll go ahead and get a new T8, just to be sure it’s good.

Thank you much
Chris.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok for your size of tank I would recommend upgrading your UVB to a T5 --- and the T 8's need to be replaced every 6 months --- the T 5's once a year but I usually change it out a month before -- did you read the info about the Sun Blaster when reading about the tin foil info?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Chris,

The sunblaster is a T5 fixture, so you need to use a T5 bulb in it.

That being said, in a 4x2x2 I would use the stronger T5 bulb. I use the 22" T5s in my 4x2x2

-Brandon

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
Claudiusx":wk4nxx74 said:
Hi Chris,

The sunblaster is a T5 fixture, so you need to use a T5 bulb in it.

That being said, in a 4x2x2 I would use the stronger T5 bulb. I use the 22" T5s in my 4x2x2

-Brandon

Ok, thanks Brandon. Should I still mount it inside at the very top or get in outside the tank?

Thanks for you expertise
Chris

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That will depend on your decor setup.

The T5 in a reflector needs to be 12-15 inches from the basking site. So if you figure your tank is 24 inches tall, and the bulb and fixture itself come down 2 inches, that means you have 22 inches to the floor.
And that means for your dragon to get to the proper distance, he needs to be able to climb up around 8-10 inches. So you would need a decently tall basking surface to allow him to get that close.

In my tanks, my basking surface isn't really that tall, only 4-6 inches tall. So I actually use an even stronger bulb, the arcada 14% which has a recommended distance of 18-24 inches away. That's why I use only a 22 inch fixture in my 4 foot long tank. The bulb is strong enough to provide UV to the basking site near the floor, and then there is enough space without the UV to create a gradient down to 0 on the cool end.

-Brandon

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
Ok, got it!! I did see the form on the sun blaster reflector and I will do that will it arrives Monday.

Thanks all for your time and expertise
- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom