Need opinions on swelling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarbharas

Hi, this is my first time posting so bear with me..
I got my girl Meeko about 6 months ago and she was around 1 year old when I got her. I took her in for a checkup and tested her stool for parasites at an exotic animal hospital 3 months after I got her and the vet told me everything looked good except she was a little dehydrated and her left front leg was swollen, but she wasn’t limping on it or anything (I didn’t even really notice it in fact, but I’m a first time owner so I really didn’t know to look for it). The vet told me since it didn’t seem to bother her it could possibly be an old fracture she got from before I had her, and that if she started limping to bring her back for X-rays but if not she should be fine. Everything stayed the same, she didn’t start limping or favoring it or anything.
Fast forwarding to today, I just got back from a 3 week vacation and I had moved her over to my boyfriends house to care for her while I was gone, and when I moved her back today I noticed that her other front leg and hand are swelling as well, and whenever I touched the hand she would flinch a little bit. I haven’t had time to let her really run around, I just had her on my bed and she was climbing pillows and stuff without any noticeable problems. I put her back in her tank afterwards and she looked a little shaky when she was walking to her basking spot, but that’s all I could notice. My boyfriend said she didn’t fall off of anything while she was at his house, and after looking through some posts on here I’m starting to become afraid that it could be something like gout.
I’m scheduling an appointment at the same hospital tomorrow, but I just want a second opinion in case the vet doesn’t pick up on it (after reading several posts from here, I’ve become aware that some reptile vets didn’t even know what gout was).
Her basking temps stay around 98-100, her UVB is a reptisun 10 tube that I’ve had for about 6 months (going to replace it next week), and she’s in a 55 gallon tank. I feed her primarily collard greens and also mix in carrots and celery a few times a week, and offer her fruit occasionally. She’s never really been big on fruits and veggies since I’ve gotten her, but she’ll still eat some of it most of the time. For insects I give her gut loaded crickets 3 times a week and dust them in calcium every time (not sure if I need to do this more often, everything I’ve read has been conflicting about it). I also give her superworms dusted in calcium every once in a while as she absolutely loves them, but she mainly gets the crickets. I give her a bath once a week and she drinks water whenever she’s in it, she also has a water bowl in her tank. I spray her every other day with water as well. I have repticarpet in there and I clean it in the washing machine whenever she takes a poop on it, which she does once a week (they’re very big poops). If there’s anything you need to know that I’m missing from here, just let me know :)
I’d love any help and opinions or adjustments to my husbandry, sorry if this dragged on too long but I wanted to make sure I got in every detail. Thanks so much!!
-Sarah, paranoid Beardie mom

yarbharas

Original Poster
97778-2682342748.jpg
97778-3315820182.jpg
97778-4449528353.jpg
97778-6606887844.jpg

Here are the pictures, she hasn’t had any X-Rays yet but if the vet takes any when I bring her in tomorrow I will post to here.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might want to have the vet run a blood test to look for infection and elevated uric acid levels. The swelling may be from infection of some sort or gout.

yarbharas

Original Poster
That’s what I figured.. Do you think X-Rays would be useful in this situation or should I just get the vet to do blood work first? I got a quote on what both cost and it would be about $500 together, $200 for just one - and as a struggling college student I really can’t afford to do both, so I’m trying to see if there’s any way around doing both.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Geez that's pretty expensive. The costs vary quite a bit depending on where you are though. A lot of vets will let you set up a payment plan for care too. At least it's good to know the cost ahead of time. If I had to pick one, I'd go with the blood test. That will show uric acid levels and BUN as well as white blood cell count which gives more info than an x-ray. The x-ray would confirm a break and show bone density and some general internal images but this doesn't sound like physical trauma based on what you've said so I'd try the blood test. An infection can be treated with antibiotics and gout can be managed with allopurinol and a lower protein diet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Great advice from Cooper, the blood tests will be most helpful. At this point it would be an extreme coincidence that both front feet are fractured, so it's highly unlikely. One thing does look odd.....both feet at the "wrist" seem to have a dark line . Is there any thin sliver of shed restricting the area by chance ?

yarbharas

Original Poster
I just had a look and no, there isn’t any shed... I think the dark line is a shadow from the crease where her wrist is bent at. I laid it out flat and the dark like went away. Fingers crossed that it’s just an infection though, I’d much rather deal with a round of antibiotics than giving her meds for the rest of her life :/

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your setup looks fine, no problems there. She has great colors, too.
Based solely on the pictures, I would have to say gout. I have a good amount of experience
with it, & that is usually how it "appears". Did you get just a blood test done today? Some
times x-rays wont detect uric acid buildup/tophi if they are not calcium based. If they are
sodium based they may not show up. I would say that a blood test would be more valuable
in analysis.
Let us know how she is doing & how the vet visit went today.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom