need more heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive had my guys for about 3 months now and one is very healthy, big and still growing he is very active and he likes to be held but his lil bro on the other hand is really small he is mean to me and just does not eat very well. im having trouble with there temps, i up graded to a 100 watt light bulb on my bigger baby and my four year old beardie. i put two 60 watt light bulbs in my small guys cage but its still does not get to nearly 105 degrees its only 80 degrees in his tank and its been on for 3 hrs. does any body have any advice or ideas to get the temps up?

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
cindyaguilarx3":41391 said:
ive had my guys for about 3 months now and one is very healthy, big and still growing he is very active and he likes to be held but his lil bro on the other hand is really small he is mean to me and just does not eat very well. im having trouble with there temps, i up graded to a 100 watt light bulb on my bigger baby and my four year old beardie. i put two 60 watt light bulbs in my small guys cage but its still does not get to nearly 105 degrees its only 80 degrees in his tank and its been on for 3 hrs. does any body have any advice or ideas to get the temps up?
What type of light bulb do you have in there, just an average light or some sort of halogen flood lamp, or a name-brand reptile basking bulb? I use a halogen flood light (I bought it at a local hardware store for like $5).

Do you house your beardies together? If so the one that is not thriving may be getting dominated by the other, so you should seperate them ASAP.

Hope I helped :mrgreen:

cindyaguilarx3

Original Poster
before id buy the ones for the pet store for like 10 bucks and recently got the regular household ones theyre clear ones. and no they are not housed together anymore i only housed them together for two weeks until everyone on here said to seperate them so i did. can i get this type of bulb at wal mart?

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
you want bright white light for your beardies. im not 100% sure if walmart has halogen flood lamps, but you can take a look. a 100W halogen flood bulb would probably be good for a 40gal viv.

cindyaguilarx3

Original Poster
im not sure if i understand the light fixture is that on light fixture for both uv and basking or is it two diffrent light fixtures?

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
2 different fixtures

------------UV
0 basking

make sure they're kept close together, because when a beardie looks at a uv source directly it hurts their eyes. that's why we say use a bright white light and put it up next to the uv source. so the BD can't look directly up at the lights :D

read the thread i posted, everything's covered in there

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Cindy, what size tank is the one that you're getting the temp of 80 in and what type of thermometer are you using? If it's a small tank, a halogen flood light may be too hot. It's fine to use standard household light bulbs for the basking bulb so if your smaller tank is less than a 40 gallon breeder, I would try a higher wattage in just one bulb. If you're using any type of stick-on thermometer, those can be off by as much as 20 degrees so you need to use either an infrared temperature gun or digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end.

cindyaguilarx3

Original Poster
ive got a 36x44 cage, i dont think it retains heat well . my guys body is always cold and the bulbs from the pet store dont seem to cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom