need help with lighting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizbeth5655

Hatchling Member
I have a 75 watt on my beadies basking side and a Repti Glo 10.0 (coil) for the UVB. I know this is not the best for now, I know that I should have the strip for the UVB, but what is the best way to have the two set up for what I have now? They are each in their own housing and from what I was told, I was to put the basking light on the "hot side" to where my beardie can get as close as 5 inches or so from it, and I was to put the UVB on the "cool side." From a lot of the reading I've done, I can kinda tell this isn't how it is supposed to be. Since he spends the majority of his time in the basking spot, under his heat lamp, he is never directly under his UVB bulb. Should I move the UVB bulb over closer to his basking spot so that he is under it? I know I need to switch to the strip, but I dont have the funds for it right now since I'm in college but I hope to be getting one here soon in the next month or two.

What is the best set up for now for the two bulbs I have??

MrMatt

If he's constantly basking it would be best for you to keep your UVB closer to the basking area. Although replacing the coil bulb (which can cause eye sight problems in beardies) is recommended as soon as you can afford to do so.

Hello! If you dont mind could you answer a few questions? Want to know what size of tank you have as well as the substrate you're using and the age of your beardie? Thanks

MrMatt

I have 6 Beardies. :D

I'm using 40gal breeders or larger except for one that is still a baby in a 20gal long for right now. I'm using all tile and every beardie has the option of basking on a rock or other platform with in their cages.

Their ages range from 6 months to 7 years.

lizbeth5655

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MY sweet boy is two and a half years old. Right now he is housed in a 45 gallon bow front aquarium. The lady I got him from breads them and had 21 adults ranging in age and size. So when I set up my tank, I did it the way she recommended for what he was used to. I'm sure she found it more reasonable cost wise to care for her 21 to use coil bulbs.

lizbeth5655

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
as i stated in the main topic, I am working on getting new stuff, what I am asking is what to do now???
I know what I need to do, but for the time being, this is what I am working with.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
As long as your basking light is keeping the temps where u need them there's no need to get a higher watt.. I have a 45w bulb that works just fine.. For right now you should move the uvb bulb down where the basking light it to make sure he is getting enough uv.. And as recommended as soon as you are able to buy the reptisun 10.0.. www.petmountain.com has the best price around including shipping and if you purchase the 24" you can find the fixture at walmart for $8 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom