Need Help Starting Dubia Roach Colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTF801

I have a 1 year and a half year old bearded dragon named Gizmo. I want to start a dubia roach colony to save money and because I am planning to have more bearded dragons and other lizards in the future and think it would be a smart idea.

I've been planning to start a dubia roach colony for awhile now just trying to find the best price for setup and roaches. I already found where I am going to buy the roaches, their food, water, screen, and egg crates just need help on everything else. The only place I am allowed to have them is in my garage and I live in Utah so sometimes you never know on the weather haha. I"m planning on getting Flexwatt heat tape 11 inch and hook it up to a dimmer switch. I just have some questions.....
What size tote should I get?
For heating I want to get flexwatt heat tape but how longer should I get it?
Would 1 foot of it be enough?
What should I use to tape the flexwatt heat tape to the tote?
What is a cheap but good working digital thermometer with probe?
Finally I want to have my dubia roach bin on a wood stand. Would the flexwatt be fine against the wood on the bottom of the bin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying not to spend over $80 dollars for everything. Thanks to all who reply and fill free to tell me your setups and/or give me links for the supplies.

JTF801

Original Poster
Also If anyone knows who sells dubia roaches, food, and water crystals on this site for a good price would be willing to buy from them instead of somewhere else.

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
I use a 50qt bin, but you can always go bigger. I don't have any experience with heat tape but I'm sure someone will chime in. I got all my roaches from theroachguy.com he has starter kits that pretty much come with everything minus the tote. Zoo med makes a digital probe thermometer and they cost roughly $8.

cathemall

The tote should be 18-20 gallons, and the heat tape needs to go on the end and not the bottom so there is a temperature gradient and fire is not an issue. There is a lot of downloadable info on my website and if you have specific questions feel free to call or email http://www.southtexasdragons.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom