Need help lowering temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

SevzLight

Alright, well I decided to dish out a lot of money to build a shelving unit/cage combo that you see reptile collecters making. It took a long time to build and I'm afraid that it's a shy too hot in my bearded dragons new cage. The cage is a lot bigger, however, the light is a little bit closer to him, but just enough to where the basking temp is now 120 without his basking rock. I'm just wondering if anybody has suggestions on what I should do at this point. I use the powersun 100w bulb for him now, and I'm afraid that it's just too powerful. I'm wondering if I drilled in holes on the top of the cage unit ceiling, that some of the heat will escape. Good idea? Or should I wait until I conjure enough money to buy new plexiglass that's bigger, so I can increase the height of the cage (it's adjustable now, except I have to buy new glass doors lol)
Right now, he's not eating, and hiding in his rock all day, because the cool side of his tank is like 80 degrees or so, and his basking spot is too hot. He sleeps a ton now, so I just assume he's in brumation, but since the temperature is higher, I feel like that shouldn't be the case at all anymore. I'm just sick of him not eating as much now that I've built him a new home XD.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is a bit high. How far up does the Powersun sit? The 100w has best UVB output between about 10-12 inches. Is that the only heat source you're using? If so, and it's getting too hot, I'd add some extra vents (high vents on the warm side, low vents on the cool side) and see if that helps. If you have an additional basking light or CHE, you may want to put that on a dimmer or thermostat so you can fine tune the temps.

SevzLight

Original Poster
Should I put the vents in the side or the top? I'm just trying to figure out for sure whether it will be a guaranteed fix :p

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not a guaranteed fix, but you do want airflow going through pretty well so it won't hurt. Having the vents high on the warm side and low on the cool side will optimize airflow which may help temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom