Need help getting a new beardie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonism

So after my previous beardie Charmaine passed away, I've just been feeling way too empty to consider not getting another one. So I want another beardie, but heres the thing: I don't want to start off with another baby. And unfortunately, all anyone is selling is BABIES. I've gone around to several petstores, even asked the managers at petsmart/petco if they have any older ones they're hiding out back but they say they're only allowed to have and sell HATCHLINGS/BABIES. Wtf. They're the size of your finger. I can't even find adults for sale by breeders online. Its ridiculous.

Now I know a lot of people say "Don't worry, they grow fast!" And thats true but growth isn't my concern. Its getting them started on their vegetables thats the problem. I went through hell to get my previous beardie to even TOUCH hers lol. That and I figure if I start off with an older, maturer dragon, I'll have just a tad less things to worry about.

So basically, I'm wondering... should I just go ahead and buy a baby and hope for the best or keep looking around for an adult? I'd love to hear some people's pro's and cons. Also, why are adult beardies so dang expensive? ._. Its the babies everyone wants, right? I'm trying to maintain a budget here lol. Typically, I don't want to have to buy a beardie for more than $130 and thats keeping shipping costs in mind.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
What's your location?

I know my local humane society has a an adult beardie up for adoption, as well there is a thread here where people are looking to rehome adults. Those are always options, but it can be a crapshoot on their health. I also got one on Kijiji and there are people in my city looking to give them away to good homes.

Babies will require more work up front, and you'll have to discover their personalities. Do you have the time to feed 2-3 times a day? Or are you looking for less maintenance?

Dragonism

Original Poster
I live in Lake Charles, LA. I don't think there are any shelters in Louisiana that take reptiles. I've tried looking. All of our "wildlife and rescue websites" are completely unhelpful and they suck lol. I do have the time to feed and properly take care of a baby. (And this is just me, but I'd love one with a feisty personality lol. More fun to tame~). I don't start taking classes again until next spring, but I'll only be taking them twice a week during morning hours, so that wouldn't get in the way either. I am kind of looking for less maintenance though. And I'm weary about adopting since I know people can lie about their health... I just want to start with an adult or juvenile because babies are just fragile and picky, you know?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Have you tried Craigslist? I have 3 and the last one I put iso and a breeder in a town an 90 mins had a leather back , sub adult. I paid $50 for him. He was a little skittish, thin but overall good health and he is the sweetest out of my other 2.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I found my dragon on Craigslist as well. Be careful though as they are often in pretty rough shape and may need extra attention and medical care. It's more often than not a rescue situation. Also need to be careful of reptile flippers who are just out to make a profit.

Dragonism

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2z1pc1e9 said:
I found my dragon on Craigslist as well. Be careful though as they are often in pretty rough shape and may need extra attention and medical care. It's more often than not a rescue situation. Also need to be careful of reptile flippers who are just out to make a profit.

Yes I understand that quite well. I always see those sellers that are like "50 hathclings ready to go with 10 morphs for $25" super suspicious. I've checked out craigslist and the closest ones they have for sale/adoption near me are in Houston, Texas. Well, I messaged two people that I was interested in and their beardies seemed to be in good health. I'm hoping they're willing to meet at a halfway point or something and make the negotiations. If not, I might just stalk the beardies at the petstores and hope I can snag a juvie. I actually just called petsmart and they say they get new babies every week and the only 'older ones' they have are the ones people don't buy. Thats kind of ridiculous. And its even worse that they only sell "fancy ones" because no one wanted the other poor things. :c

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you sit back and be patient it will work out one way or the other. A dragon out there needs a good home and you'll be in position to help. It will fall into place. I believe the Fancy label is Petsmart's brand name for them and is otherwise meaningless. It's too bad about the older ones though. I do wish the large pet stores would stop selling them. I feel like that's a big part of the problem with them winding up abused (intentionally or not) and overbred.

Dragonism

Original Poster
CooperDragon":30h5st6y said:
If you sit back and be patient it will work out one way or the other. A dragon out there needs a good home and you'll be in position to help. It will fall into place. I believe the Fancy label is Petsmart's brand name for them and is otherwise meaningless. It's too bad about the older ones though. I do wish the large pet stores would stop selling them. I feel like that's a big part of the problem with them winding up abused (intentionally or not) and overbred.
Well you were certainly right about the patient part. I went to another pet store I'd never been in before and asked if they sold beardies. There was a temperamental orange colored one who was an adult. The store owner only wants $150 for him because of his attitude. HOWEVER, he's healthy, eats his veggies and crix, and I'm sure if I work with him, he'll be a perfect dragon! :D I just couldn't pick him up right away because I was short, so tomorrow hopefully he's still there! :D Right now, I have to thoroughly clean my previous beardie's setup so that everything is nice and healthy for him to call home~

Dragonism

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":3u46pwoe said:
That's awesome. Introduce him to us tomorrow.
Yep I will! Here's to hoping that he'll still be waiting there for me! :lol: If not, it wont be the end of the world lol.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
If that little guy isn't available you should check out the Free thread on the forum. There's a list of beardies looking for a new home and some are willing to drive/ship.

Dragonism

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":19wy1pqq said:
If that little guy isn't available you should check out the Free thread on the forum. There's a list of beardies looking for a new home and some are willing to drive/ship.
Thanks but it turns out he was still there! And the owner even gave me a discount on him~ I named him Jupiter
XIsvuFK.jpg

I've posted more info about him in the introductions thread~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom