NEED HELP CONVINCING MY MOM TO GET DUBIAS!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

javier

My dad is perfectly fine with getting dubias,but once my mom figured out that they were roaches she gave me a definate answer(one I hope to change)..............NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!please help me convince her!!!!!

romanfj

Hatchling Member
I just made the post below on how to convince one's Dad to let them own dubias. Just substitute Mom and use below:

Get a nice big order of crickets in and let your Dad smell those nasty suckers for a few minutes. Especially if they've been in the bin for a week or so - Dubia are odorless.

Then place that nice order of crickets next to his bed for the night and see if he sleeps - Dubia are silent.

Leave those crix by his bed for just a week and let him see how fast they die. A cricket's entire life cycle is 8 weeks. Dubia live for 18-24 months. Do the math on the economics with him.

At the end of that month with you taking crix out of the bin for food and after your father has completely lost his sanity due to sleeplessness and he smells like a giant pile of decomposing whatever after sleeping with the bugs, look around the house with him and see how many fugitive crix you have. Some of them escape, I don't care how careful you may be. In a month, you will have a cricket infestation because Dad didn't want tropical roaches. Dubia are too lazy to climb out of a Rubbermaid bin. If you want extra security, smear Vaseline around the top 4 inches of the bin on the inside or, if you can get it to stick, put clear packing tape around the rim. They definitely will never make it over the clear side.

Crickets cannibalize their young and keeping the different sizes of crix separated when you breed them is a pain in the... - Dubia do not eat each other. If you have way too many adult males, the most they'll do is chew on each others' wing tips.

As another poster stated, dubia can't live on the food available to them if they escape, nor can they reproduce well below 82 degrees.

Even in their native homeland of Guayana, they do not infest homes. Tropical roaches actually prefer to live in leaf litter, such as a jungle floor would have.

Dubia don't carry any parasites that I know of. Crix can harbor pinworms and, since their cousin the grasshopper can carry tapeworms, it's likely crix can, too.

To my knowledge, none of the bacterial or viral illnesses transmissable from common AMeric or German roaches/roach waste to humans can be carried by dubia.

If this doesn't convince him to buy dubias, he'll certainly never want to see another cricket again!

Frank

javier

Original Poster
SHE SAID YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANK YOU!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D

javier

Original Poster
I got them,but they arent reproducing.......numbers are decreasing...............dont wanna buy more,but will if necessary

Triage

Hatchling Member
Awsome, now you can join me and lance in the creepy people with roaches club. :)

Not all people with roaches are creepy...just those two. (J/K) ;-)

On a serious note. It takes months for a colony to become established. Females produce the typical roach egg case, but retain it internally for a gestation period of approximately 1 month.

The young, 20-30 in number, are born alive and reach sexual maturity in 3-4 months (this varies with temperature and stocking levels).

So you see it takes a full grown female at least 30 days to hatch 20-30 babies. And those babies can take 3 to 4 months to mature.

I have had my colony for 4 months now and am just started to feed out of it again. I started feeding too early, thinking I had "tons" of roaches". They went quick and then I was left with a bunch of females and a few males. So I had to let the colony go for another month.

It takes a while to get going, but once your established, its pretty easy to maintain.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
be patient is all i can say, a year ago i started with 125, now i got toooo many, over 800 females, and countless nymphs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom