Need Coopers advice on basking bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Since you have the same tank, I need to get some basking bulbs for Mystic. He has the dual mini dome zoomed fixture. The 75 W zoomed basking bulbs are too expensive & don't last long. I was looking for a good suggestion, maybe something I can pick up at Home Depot, the fixture is 200 W max between dual fixture. Thank you, Terry

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Maybe I need a single deep dome fixture with 1 good basking bulb. I think the mini dome fixture might be no good. I just want cheaper bulbs and to get the right temps.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use single fixtures rated to 150w. I've used the 150w ZooMed Repti Basking spot lamps and I've used 90w PAR38 halogen flood lights from GE and they work well. Next time around I'm going to try some BR40 bulbs like this http://www.theisens.com/heat-lamp-bulbs/satco-clear-heat-bulb-125br40

I use adjustable lamp stands to hold the fixtures so I can easily change their height and temps in the tank.

For seasonal nighttime heat I use a 50w CHE at 25'' above the floor of the tank on the cool side.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks Copper, I think that mini combo fixture has seen its days. It came with the original 29 gallon tank setup that my nieces father bought. We do have a CHE for night time. Would it be best to get at the store or order it online ? Even though Mystic is their pet, I'm the one who is always worried and taking good care of him. My nieces boyfriend is taking good care of Goliath. He is happy with Brian in his place. Thanks for all your help & suggestions.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The ceramic base fixtures can be found at most pet stores so it's easy to get locally if you want. You can also get them at a reasonable price online from Amazon. If you have a farm supply store nearby they usually have cheap fixtures (with ceramic base) that would work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom