Need advice! Unwell Beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for advice/discussion. Bernard is 1 year & 4 months old. Has had really runny stool, very lethargic, lack of appetite, was pooing in his sleep etc. I instantly thought PARASITES. Took a photo of stool, showed it to the reptile shop I bought it from (very helpful, lovely guy) and he confirmed what I thought it was. I spoke to a vets, the prescribed me Panacur. 0.15ml a day, for 3 days. We’re at day two now, last day tomorrow. I read somewhere that the drugs should start killing off any worms within 12 hours. But, he’s not seeming any better. I’ve searched all over the internet and I can’t get any answers to what I need to know.
How long does Panacur take to have an affect in Bearded dragons, and how long after the course ‘should’ he start showing signs of improvement?
I’ve been reading a lot recently (it’s been a stressful week) and I am now starting to think it might not be worms, maybe Coccidia?
Has anyone else ever had a Beardie with worms, and have been prescribed Panacur, and can give me any idea on ‘how long it will take until he gets better?’
I’m super worried, he’s a great little guy and I just want to make him better.
I’ve now deep cleaned his viv with F10, I have thrown EVERYTHING out that was in there and have replaced it with brand new stuff (which hasn’t yet been put in as I don’t want to risk that stuff getting contaminated).
Basking area 35c, cool area 26c, Brand new UVB bulb went in last week. 4ft viv. Can send photos of helpful!
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sorry to hear about your guy------ lets start w/ the lighting in the tank --- please post pics of that and his tank ---- so you didnt take the stool in to be tested-- instead you just showed pics ? to the vet? and they prescribed pancur w/ out testing the fecal? I am sorry but I would of never given my dragon a med w/ out knowing for sure it is or was what he had. :( So w/ that being said pancur is often prescribed and I think is one of less harsh meds --- the better medical experts on the forum would need to weigh in on this ---- but for now lets do the lighting in the tank -- it is crucial to the behavior digestion and over all health of the dragon--- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ on top of the message box click on XIMG to post
thanks Karrie

JackCSmith

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! So before you see the photos, I’m aware it looks VERY empty in there. Normally there is a bigger bambo, wooden hide, hammock etc but as stated, I binned it all. He’s also a bit moody because I had to put the lights on quickly in order to take a photo (light off at 8pm here in the uk, same for the chameleon & tortoise)

I’m not sure why I’m unable to add more photos to the post

105265-1189340512.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do you have a UVB? All I see is the basking light--- what is the basking temp ? How are you taking it? Infrared gun? stick ons? digital probe? I would be getting the tank off the floor --- they are a social animal and being on the floor does not let them see whats going on etc................ hes probably depressed -- besides not feeling well
Karrie

JackCSmith

Original Poster
Sorry, took me a while to be able to get this photo up! Ok, so the basking area is 35c, cool area 26c, taken with both a combometer AND infrared gun. He’s been there for about 12 months now and there has never been any issues with him being lethargic like he is at the moment. Also, it works in the room as my bed is very low, it’s on a bed frame that is about 5cm high off of the floor so he’s at eye level with us (as he is currently in my bedroom until our house is sorted). We never had any issues with him until the last 7-10 days.

My plan was to finish the Panacur, see how he gets on and then if there is no bounce back take him to the vets. My problem is; I don’t know how long to leave it to see if he ‘bounces back’

Obviously I don’t want this to continue, he’s a really great character and just want him back to his normal self!

Thanks

105265-1342120334.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the UVB you are using? It has no reflector on it correct? That UVB is crucial -- brand and bulb please? So he is off the floor now? So temps dont look to bad -- 95 I might want to raise them a little - at least put something under that heat bulb that he can climb up to get closer to the heat and also if he wants he can sit to a lower level of heat - its a gradient area -- if the pancure isnt doing anything I am sure its not what you thought it was that he had --- so at this point its useless to give it to him --- please put everything back in his tank that he had --- and lets work on the lighting for now --- his UVB should be a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a T 8 or the Arcadia 12 or 14 % bulb --- they should be in the tank approx 13 inches for the Arcadia basking and T 5 10-11 inches and the T 8 6-8-- he should be able to sit directly under it - no cover --
Karrie

JackCSmith

Original Poster
The bambo is directly under his heat source. The UVB is an Arcadia Desert 10% 25w 30inch bulb. Everything in the room is floor level, there is literally a bed & the reptiles in there. All of the stuff in the room is floor level.

It might be a good point to mention that; i last changed the light bulb in December. It had been 7 months since the light changed. I replaced the light bulb exactly 1 week ago. Like for like, replaced the bulb for the exact same one.

I will install the new stuff first thing tomorrow!

Do you have any idea how Panacur works? I’m wondering if a) the affects of it can take a little while to develop (eg, might take 3-5 days for the affects to start showing) and b) should I just edge on the side of caution and get him looked at.

With regards to the temps, I’ll raise them slightly.

I did think the issue may have been the UVB, and the fact it hadn’t been changed in 7 months. But I changed this 7 days ago now and there still hasn’t been an improvement in his health; i found it very odd that he would poo whilst fast asleep!

SORRY FOR THE IMAGES, just want to show you what I’ve been dealing with!
105265-9087304603.jpg
105265-1110195443.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not a poop expert but I would say something is off --- I am wondering if that UVB is not strong enough and there is no reflector on it ? If there is not it either needs to be moved so he can sit directly under it or put a reflector on it --- I am guessing hes not getting enough UVB---- their poop will show as well and it doesnt look right to me --- I have an Arcadia bulb but its a 14% bulb and its in the tank in a hood / fixture w/ a reflector on it -- no cover--- so I guess I would look at getting a stronger bulb either a 12 or 14% ---- and move it ---- out from the wall ---- then he can sit directly under it and it should be around 13 inches from basking area for a 14% - thats what the box calls for ---
Karrie

JackCSmith

Original Poster
Ok cool, well, I’ve just bought a reflector. And I’ll look to move the UVB bulb off of the wall, a bit more direct in the middle.. and with the reflector this should do it! I’ve only got one day left on the meds tomorrow, so I’ll call the vets and see what they say!

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi, sorry to that your beardie is feeling unwell. It is possible he could have parasites due to the loose stools... they should not be runny like that at all and the fact that he is laying down on the ground indicates a problem. Please let us know what the vet says. Hopefully your beardie feels better soon.

JackCSmith

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! He’s been ‘down’ for about 2 weeks now, just finished the last day of Panacur! In the meantime, I’ve invested in a stronger UVB bulb & have purchased a reflector to increase the UVB, will speak to the vets today to try and find out ‘what the turn around after Panacur is’ and will let you know what they suggest. ‘Something’ has changed, because he actually wakes up now! Previously, he’s been a bit ‘I’ll lay here with my head on the ground with my eyes open’ but today he was alert and upright. With regards to the photo of him in the thread, this isn’t normal, it’s because I turned all his lights back on to take the photo (he was actually asleep).

JackCSmith

Original Poster
Update! Went home today on my lunch, to find a solid stool, food eaten, and scratching at the glass just like he used to! Have put everything back into his enclosure! He’s now about 10 inches away from his UVB source, same from basking spot, has his hammock back and his log he likes to sit on! I made sure I F10 disinfected the area the stool was, spoke to the vet, they’re going to check with the exotics vet to see if we should get this stool samples, or, if I should wait a couple of weeks! There were some slightly ‘undigested’ locust legs which to me stipulates he isn’t digesting the food quite as well as he used to, so I’ve increased the temps by two degrees Celsius and will monitor a bit more moving forward! Hopefully, this mood of his lasts and he is better. Next few days should tell!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So you moved the UVB and went w / a stronger bulb? I am glad to hear things are getting back to normal --- just keep an eye on him and I hope things stay improving -
Karrie

JackCSmith

Original Poster
Haven’t moved the UVB, have bought a stronger bulb and reflector which should allow me to leave it where it is but direct 100% more of it in the right direction. This will take a few days to arrive
Will most definitely keep an eye on him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom