Need advice ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hector22

Hey guys,

So little one just moved in last night.. I had his lights on from 6am to 6pm, I tried to feed him at 7am but he showed no interest what so ever, later today at 4pm my gf gave him some food and he didnt want to eat either, Im very worried and maybe over reacting but idk if this is normal because he just moved last night or.. whats the case, any advice is well taken, I gave him some dubia roaches and small crickets, I already ordered phoenix worms to try those out, also left some leafy greens... but he still shows no interest, Im over thinking and its driving me nuts, is he stressed out? how long does it take for them to get used to their new home? any advice to make the transicion better?

Any comments will be appreciated! :cry:

92943-7780624204.jpg

Mysty

Juvie Member
Moving causes relocation stress. Refusing food is normal. However, offer food as frequently as possible to get him eating.

Hector22

Original Poster
He seems to gain a little appetite at night, Is it a bad Idea to feed him after you turn off the lights?
I believe I saw somewhere that it slows down their metabolism and its bad for them, I just wanna double check, he ate a couple worms late tonight.. Ill try again tomorrow morning :cry:

Mysty

Juvie Member
Yeah. Avoid feeding 2 hours before lights out as they need the basking temp to digest effectively.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just give him time to settle in, like Mysty said they can be stressed for a while. And definitely don't feed after lights are out....sometimes a stray bug may get eaten and it's usually fine but feeding them without the benefit of high temps. [ 100-105 for digestion ] can case them to not digest + throw up the bugs the next day.

He's a cute little bugger, looks healthy + alert. Be patient, he should eat soon. :)

Hector22

Original Poster
Hey guys so here's un update on my little one

He has been eating but just like 4 or 5 dubia roaches a day, is this normal for his age? Oh and he also sometimes nibs on his salad, but nothing too much, I was really expecting him to eat like 40 a day like I've seen in other places, but he eats 4 of them and then he ignores them and goes back to chill on his hammoc or somewhere...

Is this because he's still getting used to it or it's just the age that when they're that young the just eat a little (he's 6-7 weeks old)

Thank you again for the quick responses

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Hector!
What are the temps (cool and hot side- basking area) in his terrarium and what gallon size do you have? I got my beardie same age range as you and he was eating a lot more than 40, up to 60 crickets a day. It could also depend on each beardie though some may have a faster metabolism than others. I also feed my beardie 3 x a day this increases metabolism as well.

Hector22

Original Poster
He has a nice big tank 40 gallon tank his whole set up with the lights and everything, they turn on and off automatic 6 to 6, warm tempt is 105, cold one is at 85, it varies, I'm in socal so the weather is hot as it is, he is very active, he is walking and jumping around being funny but he just won't eat more than 5 (I've only had him for 3 days as in today)

92943-2033887077.jpg

What am I doing wrong? D:

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
I dont think you are doing anything wrong. Since you only had him for 3 days its most likely still relocation stress. My beardie took 7 days for him to fully relax and enjoy his new home. I would just give him some time to get used to his environment. If after, he still not eating then maybe take to a qualified reptile vet. Every beardie will be different so dont need to worry :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom