need a bit of reasurance pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

debz

hi all i got a new baby beardie today was told it was 8 week old but i think its maybe a lot younger,its just under 4.5 inch head to tail i was expecting it to be about 6/7 inch long. when i picked it up from the guy i baught it from i went straight to pet shop for tiny crickets as i only had large ones for my adult beardie and shop owner looked horrified when he saw how tiny it is but didnt say anything except to keep it very warm. do you think he thought same as me that its too small to be 8 week old. here is a pic of it on my pinky finger and i only have small hands
[img
224596_2197269898601_1452856353_2525223_5792879_n.jpg
][/img]

Gail

BD.org Addict
Its possible its eight weeks old, it really depends on how well it was cared for before you got it. Did you get her from the person who hatched it? If so then I would think the age is right.
It is pretty small, keep her well hydrated and fed good, it won't take long before she starts to grow.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
wow she/he (whats the name?) is small. Looks like my BlueBelle almost to the tee when i got her, and she was 2-3 weeks old. The shop tried to tell me she was older, but, there was just no way. So here is what i did with her...
i got the smallest pinhead crix i could find and tried two things...feeding them to IN the viv and OUT the viv. She seemed to prefer IN the viv, but she really did not eat much at ALL for the first week i had her. i was worried ofcourse, her being such a tiny baby and having to get use to a new environment on top of everything, but it did all come around. When they are that small, it can be helpful to feed out of the viv in a seperate container. that way they dont feel so overwhelmed, and the crix are easier to catch. Totally a bummer they only had large crix...she def needs pinheads right now.
I think as long as you are keeping her hydrated and have the right lighting and temps, you and her (or him) are going to be up and running in no time. I was dealing with the same size beardie, she was about 3 1/2 - 4 inches at first tip to tail and skinny as a rail. so i know how ya feel. But BlueBelle is growing AMAZINGLY and filling out like wow...so you can do it! Hang in there.
What is your viv set up?
temps, UVB, substrate, etc ..... that can make a world of difference too if you dont mind putting that info up. that would be awesome!!!!
xoxoxo Em and Blue Belle

debz

Original Poster
hi i got the baby from its owner but wasnt very impressed with the set up to be honest my son told me to leave her and wanted to report the woman to the rspca.firstley she had 7 adult beardies in a viv approx 5ftx2x2 we couldnt see any uv lighting just a clear household light bulb hanging from the roof of the viv the sand (substrate was full of rotting veg and fecal matter.there was approx 20 babies in another viv 2x2x3 all the same size as my baby again no uv lights just a bulb on sand again with a few tubs off cress thrown in ( dont get me wrong i have cress tubs in both my vivs ) i asked which of the adults was the mother and he got her out she was so cold im surprised she bred at all if this is the norm for them.there was also a fish tank with approx a dozen plastic boxes full of eggs so she must be doing something right we were not too happy though on the conditions the adults especially where being kept.
i took my baby into the pet store on the way home to get it some mini crickets and the stoe owner looked horrified but didnt say why just told me to get her home and keep her warm.

she is now in a 2x2x3 viv of her own she has a heat lamp temps are 105 cooler side is 85 dropping to 90/5 and 65/70 at night, uva+uvb light she has her basking rock her little pink face cloth folded for her to snuggle into to sleep and for now some plastic flowers for her to hide in or climb.her substrate is newspapers just like pumpkin my 12 month old beardie

although i give hher a bit of greens and she has a tub of cress changed every 3 days she dont seem to eat them but there there if she wants them she eats about 6 tiny crickets 3 times a day although i put about a dozen each feed into her feeding tank that pet store adviced me to feed her

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
WOW.
i just dont know what to say but WOW. 7 adults in one tank with no UVB and one light bulb. omg.
and babies on sand with no UVB and one lightbulb...omg.
and one heat source for that many beardies, im so not surprised that the mom was so cold feeling.
that is just a sad sad situation. i dont know how breeders have their set-ups, but that sounds so so so wrong. :( almost makes me sick. i know beardies are hardy but damn, im just, i dont know what to say...
i honestly dont know what i would do if i would have seen that....

OK, so...onto the AWESOME side of things, you are doing wonderful with your wee one!
that is GOOD that she eating that much off the bat being SO tiny like my Blue was...i know ppl will think 18 a day isnt alot but to have just gotten a tiny hatchling, coming from a place like that, im impressed with that! Thats super!!! You are a great momma! she sounds like she is in amazing place with you, and her viv sounds fantastic. You know this just reminds so much of when Blue was that SAME size.

Dont even sweat the greens right now, it great that you are offering them everyday so she will get used to them (maybe even start to like them!) but she will come around to eating them at some point in time, right now protein protein protein. and she will start growing with the UV light .... and the protein, and things will get easier and more do-able. I am SO happy she is with you. You are doing amazing. Since you are already have a beardie you know what to look for with health, so you have a heads up in that department.
I betcha her appetite will increase even more really soon, because she is in such a great, warm, clean environment. I bet she loves her wascloth. BlueBelle loves hers at night. How are you hydrating her? Kudos to you, i dont know if i could have kept my cool in that breeder situation. :shock:
What the little ones name? :) :) :) I cant wait to see more PICS if you feel like posting...you probably very well saved her sweet little life.

grendel9

Juvie Member
What horrific conditions she came from, but what a wonderful place she's in now. She is so lucky to have you! It sounds like she's doing well for her tiny little self. Please keep us updated on her progress!

debz

Original Poster
at the minute she is sleeping in a calla lily (plastic ) lol im hydrating her by 2 x sprays a day plus every 2 days shes having a bath ( just like pumpkin) he loves his baths now as for her well............i get what i think is her showing me her beard and teeth lol but no beard there yet lol
will get some more pics as soon as i find the damned blutooth thingy for pc
her name is trilee my nephew and niece wanted to name her but started arguing so i took their nics anna is trizzy and liam iss leelee hence trilee

MommiesBoyX

Hatchling Member
i just got my baby silkback who will be 8 weeks on august 17th. she is currently about 5 inches long. i would say your baby is smaller. honestly, they shouldnt be sold at that age/size because they are so fragile. i have had my silkback about a week now and i dont mess with her for fear of hurting her.

good luck, and im glad your baby has a better home now!

IMAG0456.jpg

debz

Original Poster
awww hes so cute im not scared to handle her i have to take her out of her viv 3 times a day and put her in her feeding box im just scared incase she jumps out of my hand a 4 food drops a long way down for her

debz

Original Poster
tillee is doing ok shes eating well but not growing yet :(

here is tillee having a piggy back off pumkin her future play mate (hopefully)
Photo0262.jpg

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
I would be very very careful with having one that small on/near your larger dragon. If I recall correctly, there was a video posted maybe 6 months ago of an adult beardie eating a baby? Quite grotesque and I'd just hate for you to lose your little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom