Necrotic arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melaniec

109599-4629691145.jpg
So I brought my bearded dragon sandy to the vets the beginning of this month. She apparently had a scab on her arm that I hadn't noticed and the vets picked it without notifying me before doing it, gave me some ointment and told me it should get better in no time.
Well it's been a month now and if anything it looks 10 times worse. It feels like I could just pick her arm off if I wanted too. It's dangling like a scab on the bottom of her arm and it just looks absolutely terrible. I put the ointment on it before I noticed it but I'm gonna stop doing that after tonight. What can or should I do for it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get her into a different vet ASAP
www.arav.org see if you can find a reptile vet in your area or close to it but I would recommend getting her in I have flagged the post to another person on here see what she says

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Melanie, sorry your dragon is having such a problem. Is she walking on it or just dragging it behind ? I can't make out the severity because the pics are blurry + bad angle. Can you get a pic where she's laying flat on the ground or on your leg ? Use some raw unpasteurized honey on it in the meantime.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow your poor dragon. I am shocked that the vet would mess with the scab without letting
you know. Had she injured herself there, what had caused the initial injury or was it retained
shed?
As suggested, raw, unpasteurized honey on that area. Maybe wrap it up gently while the honey
is on the area to help protect it & keep dirt out of it. If possible, a couple more pictures would be
helpful.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Drache613":1xvhq1tx said:
Hello,

Wow your poor dragon. I am shocked that the vet would mess with the scab without letting
you know. Had she injured herself there, what had caused the initial injury or was it retained
shed?
As suggested, raw, unpasteurized honey on that area. Maybe wrap it up gently while the honey
is on the area to help protect it & keep dirt out of it. If possible, a couple more pictures would be
helpful.

Tracie

Only apply honey to the area IF there is still an open wound ,else it will do buggerall and will likely just attract rogue insects, house roaches and house ants.
This needs a competent vet to put her under a general to open up and drain the abscess and debride it and decontaminate the surgical wound, then stitches, and a IM antibiotics to prevent an SI . Then honey will be useful to treat the surgical wound or better still F10 gel.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Melaniec":3gpwvme4 said:

So the vet tried to drain the abscess . If there is still an open weeping wound :
> as already stated , honey applied to the wound ( just a drop ) will help ( try to get hold of ACTIVON Manuka MEDIHONEY , comes in a tube and is dead easy to apply )
> daily soaks of the infected arm injury in a bath made from tepid water with a few drops of Betadiene ( make it look like weak tea ) for 10min per day will help too.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl's arm doing today? Any improvements?
Please let us know how things are going. The vet does need to be more aggressive in
treatment. The arm can still be saved but the infection needs to get cleared up as soon
as possible.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom