natural uvb from the sun ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

360waves123

Hatchling Member
ok so to make this clear first i do have a brand new reptisunn but in my dragon new cage he was about 18 inch away from it on his basking rock so i put some small amazon boxes down and set his basking rock ontop so he can be closer (he gets on top of the rock with no problem) but hes about 12-13 inch away that way and i kno the farther they are the less uvb they get. and i heard 30 min natural sunlight = 12 hours of uvb from the bulb. now i live in vegas and we all know how hot it is and its summer and today its 107 degrees and theres no clouds covering the sun or anything so its all sun. and he got dark at first but as 2 min passed he got REALLY bright. and i think he got hot so he was gaping very couple min (i was getting hot to) lol but he jumped of my hand and went to shade on my lap and the main question i had was do they need to be in the sun directly or can they still get the uvb while in shade ? i didnt wanna over heat him and keep him the sun when he wanted shade. 107 is hot and i give him baths daily around 2pm and i keep him out with me for about 1 hour and hes a little cold cuz the bath but after being outside hes in now hanging around with me and hes really warm and still bright so is it cool to keep him out another hour ? sorry bout the length of this didnt expect it to be this long

360waves123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
oh and hes just chilling usually when hes cold after being out the bath he likes to move and jump around on my lap but now hes just chilling is he to hot ?

Gail

BD.org Addict
He can get UVB in the shade but at those temps, I wouldn't leave him out for very long. Why not mount your UVB inside the tank so you can get it a little closer?

360waves123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok thankx. and because i just upgrade to a much bigger cage from a 10g and not trying to spend so money tight right now

Spike1etta

Hatchling Member
He only needs 10-15 min of natural sunlight plus the UVB bulb at the distance you have it.

The pet stores are having $1 a gallon specials right now, maybe you can borrow the money and get a 40gal tank? 10gal is really too small, and he will really outgrow that in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom