Natural rocks and holding heat?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
I got what I want down I'm gonna add some natural rocks as decor basking platforms and rough spots to rub shed off. My only problem is that I am wary of adding them as a solid basking platform for a example. If my resin basking platform is 95 degrees with a 75W bulb wouldn't the slab of rock be even hotter? I know depending the rock they hold and retain heat a LOT better and longer than resin. I fear they may burn themselves which is making me rethink using rocks/stones

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Rocks + stones most likely won't get hotter but will hold the heat longer. That's no problem though because they don't reach a temp. like an electric " hot rock " that can burn them. Natural rocks are good + safe and help keep their nails filed. They are also free , if using ones from outdoors just wash them in very hot water with a little dish liquid and vinegar and rinse well.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Rocks + stones most likely won't get hotter but will hold the heat longer. That's no problem though because they don't reach a temp. like an electric " hot rock " that can burn them. Natural rocks are good + safe and help keep their nails filed. They are also free , if using ones from outdoors just wash them in very hot water with a little dish liquid and vinegar and rinse well.
Sadly when I was younger (I was like 14) the "heat rock" was the "thing" to use and was sold everywhere. But with age and knowledge those things are absolutely terrible to use and believe or not people still do use them. I was thinking of finding some natural ones while I'm outside but many of them are just brittle and smaller. So I thought about getting some slate from Amazon to use

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh O.K . I assumed that most everyone can find some rocks in their area but ordering slate would be fine. If you have a paving company or gardening center that has decorative natural rock you can try those as well.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Where I live the closest thing to a rock is a brick 😂 though I have never really thought about taking a rock home. I have plenty of driftwood I have gone hunting for near the river by my house over the years. Just never thought of grabbing rocks but I will be hunting for them now since I chose to make the enclosures look natural

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Remember if you are going to be using multiple rock types/artificial rocks, you need to verify their temperatures with a digital thermometer with probe end first, and then compare it to your IR thermometer if you use an IR thermometer. The different surfaces and their emissivities can really throw off an IR thermometer.

-Brandon

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Remember if you are going to be using multiple rock types/artificial rocks, you need to verify their temperatures with a digital thermometer with probe end first, and then compare it to your IR thermometer if you use an IR thermometer. The different surfaces and their emissivities can really throw off an IR thermometer.

-Brandon
I have a digital IR thermometer I test surfaces with and a digital hygrometer (temp/humidity) without probe near the UVB/basking light. I will probably use slate for the basking platform when I finally fight a nice flat stone. Besides that I'll use different stones on the cool side and UVB which neither of those spots get hot. I have a few digital probe thermometers around somewhere not entirely sure how effective they are

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I know its obvious and please don't take offense, but if you are stacking rocks to create a hide underneath or to raise the platform make sure nothing can become dislodged and fall on your beardie. (I don't expect that you would let that happen, but i would rather mention it to err on the side of caution) :)

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I know its obvious and please don't take offense, but if you are stacking rocks to create a hide underneath or to raise the platform make sure nothing can become dislodged and fall on your beardie. (I don't expect that you would let that happen, but i would rather mention it to err on the side of caution) :)
I was talking and thinking about that too thankfully they LOVE their hides so that is staying put. I was thinking of putting bricks down under the basking light to make it level and stable. Then put a flat slate slab over it so it'll be a solid platform I always was afraid of that happening

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I find that my beardies bask more on wood than the rocks , it might be because they can really grab on + pull themselves up more easily and that the hot spot on the wood doesn't seem to get as hot as the rocks.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a digital IR thermometer I have a few digital probe thermometers around somewhere not entirely sure how effective they are
That is exactly the point I was trying to make. Your IR thermometer is going to be inaccurate measuring multiple different surface types. Use a digital with probe end first to verify the emissivity of the surface you are reading isn't an E-Value that is outside of the range of your IR gun. If your probe end agrees with your IR thermometer, then you know the E-value is at least close to what your IR thermometer is factory set to.

This is the reason I don't even recommend IR guns.

-Brandon

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That is exactly the point I was trying to make. Your IR thermometer is going to be inaccurate measuring multiple different surface types. Use a digital with probe end first to verify the emissivity of the surface you are reading isn't an E-Value that is outside of the range of your IR gun. If your probe end agrees with your IR thermometer, then you know the E-value is at least close to what your IR thermometer is factory set to.

This is the reason I don't even recommend IR guns.

-Brandon
It normally works great but I have only ever used wood and resin not rocks so it could be useful to use the probe when I put rocks down

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I find that my beardies bask more on wood than the rocks , it might be because they can really grab on + pull themselves up more easily and that the hot spot on the wood doesn't seem to get as hot as the rocks.
I used a lot of driftwood over the years but I found it gets dusty quickly I had to also clean it often. I would normally go driftwood but have it made out of resin if that makes sense. Plus finding one thick enough for them to fully perch themselves on proved difficult

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom