Natural Chemistry Reptile Healthy Habitat "Cleaner"

Status
Not open for further replies.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
That is what I use for cleaning and it works well. It won't kill coccidia though so a thorough cleaning with 5-10% bleach and water solution is still recommended for the big cleans. I don't like to use bleach too often so I use the Healthy Habitat most of the time. It is very safe.

There is a cleaner/disinfectant called Chlorhexidine that I am ordering because it will kill things like coccidia and isn't harmful like bleach. It is pretty cheap too. $12 + tax and shipping here in Canada for enough to make 48 Litres of solution.

Owner of Max

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the info!

I ordered it last night, so I hope it works well. The safety was my main concern.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
whispersinmyhead":irpdpv8t said:
That is what I use for cleaning and it works well. It won't kill coccidia though so a thorough cleaning with 5-10% bleach and water solution is still recommended for the big cleans. I don't like to use bleach too often so I use the Healthy Habitat most of the time. It is very safe.

There is a cleaner/disinfectant called Chlorhexidine that I am ordering because it will kill things like coccidia and isn't harmful like bleach. It is pretty cheap too. $12 + tax and shipping here in Canada for enough to make 48 Litres of solution.

Chlorhexidine solutions won't kill coccidia, neither will a 10% bleach solution for that matter. If you want to kill coccidia, your options are rather limited. A 10% ammonia solution will do it (with a 30 minute contact time), as will various quaternary ammonium based disinfectants...though it varies by brand and "strength". Outside of the chemical disinfectants, you have things like steam and high heat. For glass tanks and delicate cage furniture, steam is probably the best bet, though you need lots and lots of hot steam, something I'm not really convinced consumer grade handheld steamers are really up to.

Anyways, for further reading...viewtopic.php?f=34&t=149514

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Thanks BadCon for the correction. Thanks for linking to that post you wrote earlier as well!

I apologize it looks like the info is outdated/incorrect. Chlorhexidine (Nolvasan) has been removed as a disinfectant effective against Coccidia at www.beatifuldragons.com

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Parasites.html has pretty up to date info. They still do list the 10% bleach solution as well as steam cleaning and ammonia. They don't mention that chlorines don't kill coccidia. Bleach will kill quite a bit though. Coccidia is a tough one. When I was treating my beardie for a mild case of coccidia the vet recommended bleach as well which is odd because they should know better. May need to switch vets next time. I assumed they should know.

I apologize for the misinformation.

A steam cleaner should also be a good investment.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Found another site stating the following:

Coccidia:
Isospora and Eimeria are common types of coccidia that are found in bearded dragons. These parasites are so common that a very small amount of these parasites are considered normal, and generally don't cause any harm to beardies. In times of stress or illness a beardie can quickly become overrun with high levels of coccidia. These heavy loads can cause stomach pain, diarrhea, malnutrition, and dehydration.

During treatment with sulfa type drugs (Albon), you should make sure to keep your beardie hydrated. Also during treatment, you should minimize the cage furnishings to an absolute bare minimum. Remove any wooden or porus objects and throw them away. The best way is to keep 2 enclosures and clean one while the other is in use. This will allow for the enclosure to properly air dry, which will keep potentially damaging or deadly odors to a minimum. Soak all cage furnishings with an ammonia solution for 30 minutes. Rinse well. Steam cleaners work great as they don't use any chemicals and the steam (over 165 degrees F) kills coccidia oocysts. You'd be surprised to hear that most disinfectants will not kill coccidia oocysts. The best methods for killing coccidia oocysts are: bleach water solution, steam cleaning (temp above 165 degrees F), and a 10% ammonia solution. Also, boiling or baking cage furniture will kill oocysts. They can not withstand high temps or drying.

Please note that I have removed Nolvasan from the above paragraph as an effective disinfectant. I have been informed that Nolvasan will not kill coccidia oocysts. This info came directly from the manufacturer.

Coccidia Lifecycle:
A beardie becomes infected with coccidia when it ingests oocysts that have been passed in the feces of another host. The oocysts find their way to the small intestine where the sporozoites are released from the oocyst. The sporozoites penetrate the cells of the small intestine and reproduce asexually. Each sporozoite is capable of making between 1 and 7 asexual generations. At this stage of the infection, massive numbers of cells are being destroyed in the small intestine.

Oocysts develop and escape from the cells and are passed in the feces. This starts the cycle all over again. Typically, when an oocyst is passed in the feces it is not infectious yet because it does not contain the infection causing sporozoites. In 2 or 3 days, after being deposited with the feces, the oocysts develop sporozoites and become infectious. The lifecycle of coccidia is only 14 days. But infectious oocysts can live and survive in your beardies environment for months, even years! Proper cage hygiene is very important!

Note: Flies can carry oocysts from one place to another and spread the parasite to other areas of your house, even to other beardies. Watch out for those pesky flies!

Primary source of information: Melissa Kaplan's website (www.anapsid.org) and "Understand Reptile Parasites" by Roger Klingenberg D.V.M.

Referenced from this site http://beardies.dreamwidth.org/1102.html

It is very difficult to sift through the massive amount of info out thereto get the most correct answer. It seems a lot of pet information relating to reptiles is very controversial. At least this site always has a good way of hashing it all out and so many great people on here.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Sorry for so many posts and thread Hijack a bit ;) I think I may look into simple green as a better alternative myself. Thanks again BadCon.

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
I have a steam cleaner and have to say it's the best investment I ever made. Each week I steam clean my beardie's tank and boil her basking rock and tiles, wash her repti-carpet in hot water in the washing machine. I've removed all the other decorations and keep it simple.

BeardedAaliyah

Hatchling Member
Obviously, you wouldn't ONLY use the spray to clean the tank. We use it for simple spot cleaning when Aaliyah poops, because she is on tiles. It's a great cleaner, and leaves no stains on the tile. :)

I soak everything in almost boiling water with bleach. Then, I rinse them all thoroughly and air dry everything. It works especially well for dried on fecal matter. We do this for all of our animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom