Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

morphmom

BD.org Addict
sweetiepie9":2ihqs71g said:
Thanks Tonya, I've been so enjoying my boys since I've been stuck at home, but next week I'll have to be on my strict "getting ready for work" schedule, so that will be different.
I hear that. I had a nice long, snuggle My-my day today. I don't even want to think about work because of the two nice, awake days with her. Still, the sooner your back to you, being you, the better. Just don't push yourself too hard, You go getter you :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Sabrina, for stopping in. I think they're cute, too, but then they're my babies :lol:

Hi Holly, yes, I'll be taking it easy, it's so easy to sprain it again, but I think I'll be ok with my routine. I'm up at 7:30a, give Leo his meds, wake up everyone else, have an hour to myself to wake up, breakfast and make my lunch, then an hour for baths, feeding, then get ready and leave by 10:25, giving myself extra time to get to the bus. It'll be strange to be at work again, after a month off, but good, too, was getting bored at home & when I'm bored I overeat and oversleep. I did over 400 reps at training yesterday, so I'm getting stronger and have a new routine next Sunday.

My folks got home after 3 weeks in Hawaii and had a good time, I'm going over Saturday afternoon to visit, will be good to see them. My niece's 26 birthday is on Friday, already sent her $ for her Xmas & birthday gift & she's received it already, so just need to send her an e-card on Thursday, as being in Thailand they're a day ahead. My sis's birthday (her mom) is on Sunday but she'll be out of town on business, then her hubby's meeting her for a couple of days of pleasure, so hopefully the next weekend we can take her out for lunch and catch up.

So my boys have all lost weight:

Didi 412g, down from 432 a month ago, so he got Carnivore Care today and really liked it; he was also really dehydrated, even with daily baths, drank 5 syringes full of water on the weekend, that's over 5 tsp, so that's good. Will continue to give him water weekly, on top of his regular baths.

Rubio is down to 770 from 826 when he woke up a few weeks ago, so he got Carnivore Care today, too & extra water. The Acidopholuz I ordered should be in soon so I think he'll feel better with that, he's just not his normal self yet.

Lonzo only lost 8 grams, down to 586 from 594, so that's not bad for him. As long as he stays over 575 I'm happy and so is he.

Leo is down from 564 to 550 but that's his regular weight, so not bad considering he's on meds daily right now, oh what a joy that is :roll: He's not bad about the invasion into his mouth, but he sure bites the heck out of the Qtip every morning. Then I have to wash his mouth out after he eats, he hates that but at least he's getting water.

Gabriel has only lost 4g, good boy, and mainly because he's shedding his mouth and nose. He's also the only dragon I've ever seen that puts all his food in his pouch before he takes his time digesting it. It's strange to feed him & watch his beard expand until he won't take any more. He does chew everything very well and within an hour his beard is back to normal. I didn't know that they could do that, like a chipmunk, only behind the beard, not in the cheeks. He's a strange little guy!

So that's it, I'm so looking forward to warmer weather so they can get outside. They all still sit in front of the patio door, hoping it will open for them, but it's still too cold, plus when it does warm up I have to clean off the balcony (yuck). I'm thinking I may just hire Jake to help me, as it hasn't been clean up of leaves and such for 2 summers now, I've never had to clean it off, that was always Roger's job, so will have to figure it out before it's warm enough for them to have their time outside. But it will be great when they get some sunshine again, it always perks them up.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
sweetiepie9":294veh99 said:
So that's it, I'm so looking forward to warmer weather so they can get outside.
I hear you on that. I look outside at all the snow and shiver. Jace and LAnce have yet to experience the outside world yet so this will make for an interesting summer.
Good luck with all the boys =)

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
sweetiepie9":27cr9l2f said:
Gabriel has only lost 4g, good boy, and mainly because he's shedding his mouth and nose. He's also the only dragon I've ever seen that puts all his food in his pouch before he takes his time digesting it. It's strange to feed him & watch his beard expand until he won't take any more. He does chew everything very well and within an hour his beard is back to normal. I didn't know that they could do that, like a chipmunk, only behind the beard, not in the cheeks. He's a strange little guy!
What a silly boy. I had no idea that beardies did that; thought they chewed/digested each mouthful. We learn something new about these boogers every day.

Blinksmama

Juvie Member
That's really neat about the pouch! I pictured a pelican when I was reading it :p It's cute when my hammies do it. If Blink ever does that I'd have been really worried, now not so much :) it's a good tidbit of knowledge to have. I wonder how common that behaviour is

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'll give it a shot, it's just amazing to watch. You know when they puff up their beards when they're stretching in the am? That's sort of what it looks like but nothing out the side, just underneath. None of my others do that, they chew and swallow; that's my Gabriel, always has to be different :lol: Yesterday he stuffed 10 superworms and 1/2 a collard leaf into that pouch, when he was done I just thought that's the stretchiest beard I've ever seen. An hour later he was back to normal. Don't know why he does that but he does it every time he eats. Of course, he's really fat now, too, has the roundest belly of them all! And another thing he does, when he's in the bath, even though the water goes just to his armpits, he blows up his belly so he's perfectly round and then just sort of bobs in the bath, it's hilarious to watch especially since he bobs sideways, can't quite get the hang of it, but still does it every bath :lol: I'll have to take a pic of that blown up belly one morning.

So got to work, got up at 7:30 to give Leo his meds, then started baths at 8:30, liquid calcium to each, was done by 9:15, then fed them all, got ready at 10a and was out the door at 10:25, and made it through the day. Even though my legs did get a bit swollen, nothing like they are without the stockings. So all in all, was a good day. Now off to bed to do the same thing tomorrow am, getting up 1/2 hr earlier than usual gives me more time than I thought, so I'll continue doing that. And even though I got up over an hour earlier than I've been doing while off, Didi, Lonzo and Leo were all wide awake!

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
You know what's funny Deb PeeWee and Sunny do the pouch thing too! Jeffrey thought Sunny was choking one day as she was eating her veggies, he got so freaked out he tried to retrieve it out of her throat but there was nothing there. She fills up her beard like she's doing morning stretches and then almost an hour later it's all flat again. PeeWee only does when he eats his veggies though, with his feeders he swallows it all! I'm glad there's another dragon who does the same as my silly babies!

-Kaleen

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Well I am glad the stockings helped and there wasn't that much swelling! Hope your first day back to work went well for you!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Kaleen, that's funny about Sunny & Jeffrey, so I'm glad Gabriel's not the only one. The first time he did this I couldn't figure out why he was & still don't, but he likes to eat that way and as long as he's eating, I'm happy!

And PeeWee does the same with veggies, it does look strange when they do that, it's like they have to wait to get it down their throats. Too funny.

Thanks Lindsay, I did fine yesterday, so going forward I should be ok. My legs hurt this am, but that's not unusual, it'll go away soon enough. Getting into and out of those stockings are quite the big deal, too, because they're so tight, but I do it as it does make a difference. Boy getting old has it's disadvantages :lol: Not that I'm that old, but nearing 60, so not getting alot better. Oh well, just life.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
And the Acidopholuz came in last night, so I'm hoping it will help Didi, Leo and Rubio with their eating.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Is'nt it funny how they store their food in their pouch <beard>! Geico was just fed slurry and ate most of it then the rest into the beard for later I guess. I dont know why he does that, its not like I dont feed them and they have to store it for later. Emily hasnt learned to do that yet or she just doesnt, food goes into her mouth and its gone, no storing it for later the little piggie lol. Have a great day.

JangoMom

Sub-Adult Member
Glad your first day went well with little pain/swelling in your leg. I think Jango may save food in his beard once in awhile.. but not alot.. i've seen his beard puff up during him eating but he flattens out a few minutes after he's done eating. Jango also puffs up his belling when in the bath and just sorta floats/bobs there even though there's not alot of water. It's so funny to watch.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Well it's good to know that Gabriel isn't the only one who hides food in his beard and floats around. The floating makes me laugh each time because he floats on an angle & it looks so uncomfortable :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom