Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Shannon, yes, I did send pics in of all my beardies & Sweetie, too. Alex is great about putting all our babies in one calendar,but I always buy both, or all 3 if there are alot! I started buying them last year, they're my Christmas present to myself! And worth every penny. The quality is great, the pictures are great, he does a really good job. He'll be posting every individual picture of Calendar A & B once he's got them all figured out. Zak 'n Wheezie usually get a full page, which is great, 'cause they're my favourite boys! Maybe next year you can gave a big photoshoot, so many per month, and get them all in. You send in two good pics of each & Alex chooses the one he thinks would present best in the calendar. I enjoy seeing all the beautiful beardies!

I do enjoy being on my own. I'm a reader, too, we have a great library in town, so I always have about 10 books on my bookshelf to read, plus a book in my purse for on the way to work. So between my boys (including my son), reading, training, working, family and friends, my life is full. It's funny that after being married for 24 years I'm not lonely at all. I thought I'd be, but I'm not. When I saw the allergist last week and we found out I'm allergic to cats & dogs, he said my dragons were the best pets for me, so guess they were a good pick!

morphmom

BD.org Addict
sweetiepie9":cglwzbpb said:
When I saw the allergist last week and we found out I'm allergic to cats & dogs, he said my dragons were the best pets for me, so guess they were a good pick!
BD's just make everything better! :D
Deb! I have fantastic news! I weighed Myah today as Today was the start of her treatment and...She's gained weight! I thought she had lost be I was wrong. She went from 317grams to 362! She's been gaining beautifully since she has come home even with that nasty coccidia. I'm very pleased :D I feel like we can beat it this time. How are your boys? How much is Gabriel now? Is Lonzo feeling better?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Oh my what GOOD NEWS and I bet you can beat it this time Holly!!!! I weighed Gabriel Wednesday & he was up to 456g, he's just an eating machine, he'll eat anything I offer him & he's been eating his supers out of a dish for awhile now, I added a few pieces of collard greens with the worms & he ate those, too! I'm so proud of him.

Lonzo keeps getting better, his lung isn't fully functional but it's working more than not lately, which is great news. I check it whenever I think of it and it's not working as well as the left one but still, it is working. I'm hoping it gets better day after day, I'll keep checking it. He hasn't flipped over since that one time on the balcony, so he gets to free roam the living room & even though I keep an eye on him, I don't watch him every minute. But if he's out on the balcony, I watch him like a hawk.

I found Gabriel sleeping on the bottom of his tank with his head tilted up (can't figure out why that doesn't give him a crick in his neck!) and his beard on a mini Bailey's house that Roger used to collect. He has three in a row (inherited from Sweetie) that he loves to knock down now, I always find them sideways when I get home. :D

Rubio was in his hide Thursday am, so thought he was in for the day & turned his lights off, well, won't do that anymore, he came out sometime during the day to a dark tank :shock: oops! So if he does that again I'll leave his lights on until I know he's asleep for awhile. Besides I know he's got a poop due, so won't be letting him sleep anyway.

Didi hasn't slept since those two days in his hide, he's even eating, sort of. Leo wasn't eating hardly anything, but started again today & Lonzo won't eat any protein, only greens, can't figure that out as he loves his worms, normally. So I guess they're all getting ready to start sleeping, I'm just hoping it will be awhile before that happens.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
sweetiepie9":3rmyc3t4 said:
I weighed Gabriel Wednesday & he was up to 456g, he's just an eating machine
That's wonderful! He's come so far! That must be a very good weight for him. Just love that uniquely handsome boy :D
Lonzo keeps getting better, his lung isn't fully functional but it's working more than not lately, which is great news.
So glad he hasn't flipped himself again, poor guy must get so frustrated. I think that just staying on all fours is a victory, here's hoping he'll stay on this path. It is really great news. :D
Rubio was in his hide Thursday am, so thought he was in for the day & turned his lights off, well, won't do that anymore, he came out sometime during the day to a dark tank oops!
Oh my gosh! I can't imagin what he must have been thinking! "Mama didn't pay the electric bill!" :shock: I feel bad for him, but I did have a good laugh thinking about his opinion on the matter! :lol:
So I guess they're all getting ready to start sleeping, I'm just hoping it will be awhile before that happens.
Aw, I know they need that down time, it just seems to soon and too long. (Still no signs of that with Myah, thank goodness!) Atleast with the five of them you stand a good chance of one or more being awake. :D

It was really nice to get a happy update. :mrgreen:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Deb, I had the same thing happen with Brutis - he slept for a few days and it's been pretty hot in the house so I shut off his basking light and came home to find him 'basking' on his hammock in the dark. I swear he looked at me like, "Finally, there is that stupid woman..." :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Glad to hear you are finding more function with Lonzo's lung. :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
The function in Lonzo's lung comes and goes but he doesn't gasp at all for breath, so I guess it's functioning enough for him; I'm sure hoping it starts to work better soon.

That's funny Shannon about Brutis, I thought only Rubio did silly things. He hasn't gone into his hide since :lol:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Rubio is so funny, he does things none of the other would do! At least when Didi went into his hide he stayed there asleep for 2 days. And hasn't done that since, even though I've found it's taking them longer to wake up now & they're sleeping earlier in the day...so it's starting...moving towards full brumation. I just have to make sure their digestive systems are empty & Rubio takes his time to poop. May be time to break out the pumpkin again, it always works for him. I find when he holds it in like that his urate is huge and really hard, like chalk. So I may just add the pumpkin to his food every 2nd day or so...I'll see what I should do. He's a very hydrated dragon, so it's not that. Maybe it's because he's so darned long. He's 10 1/2" from snout to vent, guess that's a long way for digesting food to travel :roll: :lol:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Oh yeah that is a big guy for sure! That is a good idea for trying to get his system cleaned out. It is a worry about eating a bunch and then sleeping. We haven't had many dragons brumate, since we have had so many younger ones, so I keep checking to make sure Brutis is alive, poor guy. He brumated over the summer, too! And we are in Florida! His prior owner had said that he brumated at weird times, so we were warned. :?

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Well yesterday I just woke Zeus up after a full week of sleep so the only thing I'm confused on is do. I feed him when he gets up or keep his system empty

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Just give water and a bath, then put him back to see if he goes back to sleep. If he sleeps then he's in full brumation so let him be. If he wakes up, then you can feed him. He needs to sleep on an empty stomach.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
As long as, if he eats, he poops before he goes back to sleep. You don't want undigested food in his tummy, it'll rot, if left for long.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Your "kids" are amazing. I love the colors on them all. The pictures you picked for the calander are so pretty, love the way they turned out. I think the yellows and oranges on the beardies are the prettiest of all the colors. Emily just had to turn out different from any of the colors ive ever seen and hope she keeps them. Can't wait till both of mine are the size of yours, and all of them look like litle cuddle bugs. Id be so proud of them, they are simply beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom