Nasal Discharge + Lack of Appetite + Constipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
I'm steadily getting more and more worried about my beardie. I posted in health a few days ago with no response and thought I'd move over here since I saw a more concerning symptom.

Back in early November Zeke had a little difficulty with pooping and was trying to go into brumation. The vet told me to try ad keep him warm until he passed a stool and then let him sleep. Within about three days he finally pooped and went to sleep. He proceeded to wake up about every 2-3 weeks and each time he ate a little, but we had issues with him pooping. It would take a few days to get him to poop and then I would let him go back to sleep. At one point he passed a very hard urate; I found that I had been giving him too much calcium and cut back. About two weeks ago he finally seemed to really wake up, but was off his food entirely. I felt his stomach and felt that he was really backed up. I gave him some pumpkin and after about 45 minutes in a warm bath, he passed a very small, hard urate and a ton of poo. I don't know what had caused that hard urate or if it was just left over from the last time. I also noticed that he seemed to have lost quite a bit of weight.

He is now pooping in his bath every other day and is no longer straining. The urate is also the consitency it should be and his poops look fine. However, the only way I've been able to get him to eat is if I put baby food on his nose and let him lick it off. I believe he's eating about 2-3 ml of food a day (I have no idea how much he should actually be eating).

Anyways, today I went down to give him his morning feeding and when I took him out a notice clear discharge around one of his nostrils. I wiped it up and haven't seen anymore, but it has only been about an hour and a half since I wiped his nose. Zeke hasn't been coughing or making any unusual noises. His color is bright and he seems very alert. He also seems to be putting on some weight-- not a whole lot, but enough that I can see the difference.

Basking Temp: 102 degrees (acurite probe thermometer)
Cool side: ~75-80
UVB: ReptiSun 10.0 Tube
Substrate: Tile
Diet: I follow Beautiful Dragon's nutrition. He normally eats dubia roaches no wider than the space between his eyes, though he is only eating one or two a day right now. He gets a wide variety of salads and gets a little bit of fruit once a week. He has been eating squash baby food, a little apple baby food, and some blended collards.
Bathing: 15-20 minutes, 3-4 times a week

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Mirro....just wondering, how much does Zeke weigh, and how much did he weigh before these problems presented themselves ? If you can't weigh him, can you post a pic from above his whole body ? As far as possible nasal discharge, could it have been a little leftover from the food you gave him on his nose tip ? Or possibly he breathed a bit of it in, and caused one nostril to produce mucos ? He souncds like he's doing alright.....when they go in to brumation, some take a little time to get their appetite back.

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I can't weight him, but I can get a picture of him. I'm on my way to work, but I'll see if I can get one of him tonight.

The discharge was very clear. It wasn't sticky or thick. It felt a lot like a droplet of water to me.
I guess it is possible he got some food in his nose, but I put most of the food on his bottom lip to try and avoid getting any in his nose. Could that pose a problem if that is the case?

I checked on him again and there's still no more discharge. It's been about two and a half hours now since I wiped his face.

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nevermind-- I got a picture! He was squirming a bit and was against the idea of laying straight, but it was the best Zeke was going to allow. He does look better than when he first woke up, but he is still skinnier than he was before he started having issues.

120125_0002.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
His body looks to be of good size, nice stout legs and , from what I can see, girth to the tail base. Looks like a healthy dragon from that pic. As for the droplet you saw, I would just watch....if there are no strange breathing or sounds coming from him, and no obvious discharge, I wouldn't worry about him. Keep his tank at 78 - 82 at night for a while, and be sure he has a 105 basking area + 80 cool side. Just watch him for any other developments, other than that he looks to be quite fit.

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Milo had the same thing, the clear nasal discharge, what I assumed was a sneeze of some sort? Hopefully someone has the answer to this :(

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I just got home from a 5 hour shift at work. His nose is still discharge free! I'm really hoping it was something of a fluke and I don't see it again. I'll definately keep a close eye on him and up the temp in his tank slightly.

I'm also relieved that he looks to be a good weight.

Thank you for your help and I'll update if anything changes!

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just wanted to update and say that there has been absolutely no discharge around Zeke's nose since that one incident. He's active and very slowly starting to eat his salads again. I have an order of dubia coming sometime in the next week and I'm sure he'll be happy to start hunting again.

Thank you for the reassurance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom