Names of Morphs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maize

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ddma":7b03c said:
oh an addiction it is, like tatoos. i don't know if you want to divulge the info or not but what breeder did you get yours from? i got my crimson red from rainow bearded dragons, so happy with my dragon, got my citrus from fire an ice, and got my leucistic from georgia bearded dragons, jeff at jdm dragons , he's so nice and has nice dragons, the only reason i didn't get a beardie from him was because i was looking for a leucistic at the time and he didn't have any. thanks for the site !!!

I have no problem giving out the site. I got Maize (Female) from East Coast Dragons and get this....I'm unable to locate their site anymore lol. I recieved Kai (Male) from Dragon Fortress. The Male isnt eating much right now for some reason, he's only 2.5 months. Both of them will be going to the Vet today actually to be checked for everything. Maizes appitite and alertness has improved greatly! She is still a bit skitish and this morning her stress marks are back. Not sure why, do stress marks return if they are hungry? Kai's stress marked are gone, surprisingly since he has been under the weather. I wish he would start eating I want him to grow.

ddma

Juvie Member
are you sure it's not space coast dragons? hope they're ok. stress marks can be there for several reasons, too warm , too cool, hungry, i know after i feed mine thier crix they get real bright and full of color. mine are 4 1/2 mos old and every now and again they still get stress marks, but i know they're very healthy and everything in my enclosure is good, as i'm constantly checking. i know that when my beardies go to the cool side of thier enclosure they usuallly get darker all over, but while you're at the vet , you might as well ask. good luck

Maize

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's definitly not Space Coast Dragons, they reside in FL. East Coast Dragons are in Long Island.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
I think ECD (east coast dragons) is getting out of the business. On faunaclassifieds they are selling off a large number of breeders and holdbacks

Maize

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have been reading alot on the naming of morphs. It seems that alot of the names start with the breeder name. Is that right? I'm also finding alot of names with "Tiger" which I dont believe is the company. I could be wrong but I didnt see anything online. Can someone explain to me what "Tiger" means?

This whole naming thing really intrigues me. I really want to learn this cuz if I end up breeding Maize and Kai I would like to do this right. I dont want to sit there and steel someone elses name if it's not correct. I think it would be fun thinking of my own names! Like "Orlando Fire Starter Red" LOL How does that sound......AWESOME!

john_ny217

Juvie Member
Hey Keith its John.

Tiger is basically just a name that was given to a dragon years and years ago because of the pattern of the beardie. It had a tiger pattern so they named it a tiger. If you see a Citrus Tiger which is bred by Tammy at DragginTails, you will see why she named them Citrus Tigers. They are really yellow with tiger side bars. She also has fire tigers which are a orange/red with tiger looking sidebars. Tiger really means nothing as far as genes are concerned. You could hatch out a green dragon with tiger markings and call it a Lime Tiger lol who knows.

You will be surprised with what some breeders have come up with as far as names are concerned.

Maize

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
john_ny217":6759e said:
Hey Keith its John.

Tiger is basically just a name that was given to a dragon years and years ago because of the pattern of the beardie. It had a tiger pattern so they named it a tiger. If you see a Citrus Tiger which is bred by Tammy at DragginTails, you will see why she named them Citrus Tigers. They are really yellow with tiger side bars. She also has fire tigers which are a orange/red with tiger looking sidebars. Tiger really means nothing as far as genes are concerned. You could hatch out a green dragon with tiger markings and call it a Lime Tiger lol who knows.

You will be surprised with what some breeders have come up with as far as names are concerned.

Hey John!

How you been?!

Since the “Tiger” is technically just name because of the pattern (side bars) I wonder if Kai is a Tiger. He is the one on the right.

I haven’t had much luck with the breeders I got both of the beardies from. Because they have no communication skills I wonder now if what they told me is even true. Plus I was informed that East Coast Dragons might have gone under and I got Maize from them. I was told she (Maize) is a 100% Hypo. Now Kai was purchased through Dragon Fortress. I was informed that she is Het Hypo. I tried my hardest to contact these people to get as much info as possible so I know the bloodline if\when I decide to breed. I would like to do this the right way. I pretty much will never be able to get in touch with them, so I guess I just have to go with what they told me. OK back to the tiger issue LOL. Maize has a little bit of side bar but not as much as Kai. Now these pics aren’t that clear. Kai has a Peach\Tangerine with Lavender side bars. Maize is a Light\Neon Green and sometimes her head turns more towards yellow.

Does the pic show?

Maize

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
spyder79":88fec said:
I think ECD (east coast dragons) is getting out of the business. On faunaclassifieds they are selling off a large number of breeders and holdbacks

Hey Brian,

I registered on this site. How did you find out that info? I would like to check it out.

Thanks
Keith

Maize

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Is there such a thing as a German Giant BD? I mean, is that an actual breed? I was asking everyone at the show I went to yesterday and everyone either said yes, no such thing or no longer.

I find it hard to believe since you see BDs that are enormous!

I'm really getting into the morphing\genetics things.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello,
The german giant is not a morph but actually is a hybrid form of bearded dragon, bred between a central (p. vitticeps) and an Eastern (p. Barbata) and it is bred for size, robust appearance, strength and durability. They are the largest of the captive bred beardies however you most likely will never find a true german giant as the original blood lines were so interbred with the "common" beardie that the chances of getting an actual German Giant are slim to none.Many breeders will throw in the german giant tag based on the fact that somewhere down the breeding line that beardie's ancestors were bred with a german giant or many just makethe assumption that if they are larger in size/length that there is GG in the lineage.For example I had one of my males at the pet store with me the other day and he is a very big boy over 22 inches and tilts the scale somewhere in the 2 pound range so compared to the frail pet store beardies he is a monster.The man who knows me fairly well working there got into a 1/2 hour long debate with me that he must be GG.I explained to him that althoug he is large in relative terms so are all my beardies and it had nothing to do with GG but more to do with how they are housed and cared for.Needless to say he wasnt budging in his beliefs so I left it at well you never know even though I do.I am very familiar with this beardies lineage as he was bred by a friend of mine and I know there is no GG in him however guarenteed if he was in the hands of the pet store his cluthches would be dubbed GG simply based on his size.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
if you look through the classifieds ads on fauna and on kingsnake there are numerous posts with their adult breeders and holdbacks for sale. Now either they are going a completely different route with their breeders (much like LOD did when they made the switch to trans) or they are giving up on the bearded dragon biz. I am unsure but i do know their website is no longer up. Just search on the bearded dragons classifieds section you will see all the posts. I did not see anywere that they are getting out of the business this is just my educated guess from what i have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom