Nail Loss and Growth issue!!! Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am relatively new to the Beardie world I was basically raised an animal. We had everything from dogs to cats, hedgehogs to shrews, snakes to geckos growing up we like to call our house a small zoo. Well this past summer I kinda bought 2 beardies on a whime. We have never owned beardies so it was a first time deal.
I bought my males back in August. I'm really not sure how old they are, I am sure that they've grown 3x their size since I've gotten them though. Well I have them in the same tank....YES I know they are getting separated today actually! They do get along pretty well though for males. But still they are being separtated anyhow. Which brings me to my first question. I noticed a couple weeks ago, one of my boys lost a nail on his front "hand". Couple days ago I noticed that he lost another one on his back "hand' too. Is this normal? I sure hope so, cuz I brought them to the vet a couple months ago and he said they are in great shape.
Next question. I feel in love with my boys so much that back in December I went and bought myself 2 females. Well i guess I'm just concerned because when I bought my girls one was so much larger that the other one. Now the smaller one is twice the size of the one that was bigger than her when I origanally bought them. Is this something to be concerned about. They both have awesome appetites, both eat well. Could it be that they just have different growth rates?
Hope you can help...THANKS
Jaime

Grommet

Hatchling Member
Wow, that is odd about the nail loss. Is there anything in their tank that your beardie could have gotten their toe caught on? A stick with holes, or a netted material? The only other reason I can think of is if they weren't getting enough calcium.... When was the last time you replaced their UVB tube and what kind of calcium do you dust with?

Congrats on being a beardie addict, by the way! I'm not allowed to bring any more home, so I pick up volunteer shifts at my local shelter to suffice ; )

Kailin

FredBarneyWilmaBetty

Original Poster
Hey thanks for the response. Thanks for the congrates. Yeah I have really fallen in love with my dragons and I was never really interested in getting one. I mean we have so many animals and i grew up with everything basically. One day I said to my dad. Hey I think i want to get a couple of these. He was like, "ya know I was thinking the same thing". So I got my two guys and loved em so much I got two girls. Now that they are getting so big we are in the process of separating everyone and I think I have to sleep outside now there is NO ROOM!!!! Hahaha. but i love em anyway.
As for Fred losing his nails, I have never heard of such a thing. I have a couple books and it doesn't discuss the issue at all. The uvb is new, just changed it not too long ago. As for vitamins and such, I have Dragon Dust and bearded dragon calcium plus by t-rex. I also give them these vitamin cube things for Dragons, which by the way all of them LOVE!!! I don't have anything in the tank that he would get caught on.....hmmmm??? I just figured I'd give it a try and see if anyone on here could help or had anything similar happen.
I did notice though the the claw on his front leg is growing back though so that's a good sign huh!!!
THanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom