My young beardie keeps one eye closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey again people, I am here first time asking help, I have my little guy and he or she, is keeping one eye closed. Now this seems obvious to me what the issue is, but im going to explain so I can get other opinions.....

So I have been a typical worried first time parent of a young beardie and ive read a ton of stuff and am still learning, but I have changed my uvb bulb from one I got from Walmart, with a garden bulb in it, to a zilla 18" desert one from petco thinking it would be a better fit. Now I turn these lights off at night and the terrarium never goes under 70-72 degrees Fahrenheit. Now one thing I changed, was that I mounted the light inside the terrarium on the screen top, it's a medium low exo Terra 24"wide-18"deep and 12" tall. I'm worried the florescent uvb bulb is too close to my beardie and thats why he's closing one eye, coincidently enough the side facing the bulb most of the time. The constants so far are the basking light and compact florescent reptisun bulb I have and yeah, I keep him/her hydrated with warm baths about once a week and misting every day couple times a day, humidity and temp are monitored via electric thermometer and the tanks cold side is usually 80-85 and when my beardie gets up to his/her basking area it's about 100-105. The first month of owning my beardie has been great he/she is very responsive, she'd and then didn't eat for a little bit, but has its appetite back, but now since the florescent bulb change/location he/she has been keeping one eye closed. Is this an obvious bulb location problem? As if the bulb is too close? Or does Zilla brand have bad bulbs? I'm concerned as the terrarium I habe is fairly short, only 12" tall, and that the bulb I mounted inside is too close. Before, the way I had it his basking area he likes was about 5" any from the bulb fixture. I've read that 10" is the minimum. But ive been concerned also that my screen top is diffusing the bulb light weakening it's uvb output inside the terrarium. What are your guys thoughts?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Those zilla bulbs don't put off enough uvb. I'd change it out with a reptisun 10.0 Tube or Arcadia 12%. If you get a T8 then it needs to be mounted in the tank 6 to 8 inches away. If you get the T5 then it's ok to put it on the screen. Make sure you put a bright white basking bulb with the uvb bulb so the florescent light from the uvb does not bother her eyes.

Philthebeardedfan

Original Poster
Okay so I've got a reptisun uvb 5.0 t5 15watt and took the fixture out of the cage. I kept the uvb off yesterday evening when I got home, which is about 4-5hrs earlier then I usually turn it off. My beardie still has its right eye closed, but when he's hunting or sometimes when I have him out of his enclosure he'll have both eyes open. Also he's been rubbing his right eye against stuff in his enclosure from time to time, but I don't see any skin as if he was shedding. So I'm not sure what's going g on, visually his eye doesn't seem puffy and there's no discharge. Worried about him still....

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't had issues with the Zilla Desert 50 bulbs. The T8 bulbs with a reflective fixture have an optimal output at around 6-8'' so if you mount it on top I'd build the basking area to come within 8'' so your dragon can get to 6'' under the bulb. As long as the lighting is mounted directly overhead it shouldn't be causing eye issues. My guess is that there is a shed coming on or there is a small particle of some kind stuck in the eye. It may help to try flushing it with a bit of plain saline solution. Otherwise the issue may just resolve itself during the shed cycle. As long as he's active and eating well and doesn't appear to have trouble hunting I wouldn't worry too much.

Philthebeardedfan

Original Poster
Soooo just an update, I replaced my uvb with a reptisun 5.0 18" and moved the fixture to on top of the screen outside his enclosure and after a day or two his eye opened right up again! Maybe he had something in there, or maybe it was the bulb, regardless my beardie has been acting normally the whole time besides the eye closed thing and he's absolutely murdering crickets! Haha.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear that his eye is open again and his appetite is up! With the 5.0 bulb keep in mind the output is quite a bit lower than with the 10.0 bulbs so you'll want to be sure the basking area allows him to get pretty close to the bulb if he wishes to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nekov
Top Bottom