my setup does this look ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
i would switch to the reptisun 10 linear bulb the coil bulbs are known to cause eye problems

Jess

Extreme Poster
You need a different UVB light fixture, like Morgan said. You should also take out the sand, that stuff is horrible for them.
It my signature, click the links that say "Why Shouldn't I Use Sand?" and "Lighting Help for Newbies". That should help you get the basics of the lighting set-up you need, and understand why sand is so dangerous.

You also need a digital thermometer, because the dial ones are really inaccurate. The "Lighting Help for Newbies" thread will also explain that.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I use an under-the-counter light fixture. That way you can mount it inside your viv, and still have room on the screen for a heat lamp.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You would need to get a strip light like this: http://www.petmountain.com/product/fluorescent-fixtures/11442-516029/perfecto-incandescent-perfect-a-lite-hood-black.html?utm_source=gcs&utm_term=11442-516029 and leave the plastic cover off.
The fluorescent UVB should be placed behind the basking bulb on the same side so that your beardie can get the benefit of both bulbs at the same time. This UVB should be 6 to 8" from your beardie. It's very hard with such a small tank to have enough room to place the bulbs the way they should be. Another option would be to hand the strip light inside the tank but NO closer than 6 to 8" still.

The round gauge thermometers can be off by as much as 20 degrees. The only 2 ways to get accurate readings are with either a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end or an infrared temperature gun.

What wattage basking bulb are you using now?

**Edit: sorry Jess, we were posting at the same time.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What is the wattage of it, any idea? Do you have the box it came in or it might say right on the bulb. Just want to make sure that your beardie isn't over heating. With a 10 gallon tank, you really shouldn't need anything higher than a 40 watt bulb. I doubt you would even need a 60 watt. Can actually use a standard household light bulb for the basking bulb.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They're called strip lights, they are also the same thing used in fish tanks BUT the ones for the fish have larger plastic pieces attached to the hood itself in the front and back to prevent the fish from jumping out or the water from evaporating. All you need is the center piece that holds the light. You should be able to get one at a pet store but if you want to save money, you can do what I mentioned above instead.
You would need to get a strip light like this: http://www.petmountain.com/product/fluo ... 442-516029 or you could get a standard fluorescent light at Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes. Remove the plastic cover and the bulb that comes with it, pop in the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent bulb http://www.petmountain.com/product/fluo ... -bulb.html and leave the plastic cover off.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have no idea, I have never been in a Petland. Perhaps you could try googling Petland and put in "strip light" and see if they have them.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You actually have several options. You could get a standard fluorescent light from Walmart for about $8.00 which would be in the lighting section of the store.They also have the AcuRite digital probe thermometer which also gives a humidity readout, that costs about $12.00 which would probably be in the garden center where the plastic outdoor thermometers are sold. Then the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent bulb you could get from petmountain.

Or, you could get all of it from Petmountain or probably either www.amazon.com

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I used metal brackets that were bent to clip over the back of my tank and then bent the bottom part up to support the strip light hood. It works very well. You could buy metal shelf brackets or pick up 3M hooks, some use those.

What were you wondering the size about?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The smallest length that you can get the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent tube is 18" so you will need to get a hood that will hold that.

Yes, you want the UVB in the back and the heat bulb in front of it. Yes, you can put the UVB hood on top of the tank but the screen will filter some of the UVB rays, that's why it's recommended to hang it inside of the tank.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You'll have to get this strip light, the 20" http://www.petmountain.com/product/fluorescent-fixtures/11442-516021/perfecto-fluorescent-perfect-a-strip-light-black.html?utm_source=gcs&utm_term=11442-516021 because the other one I sent the link to is out of stock. The link for the UVB is the right one, the 18" bulb.

The 10 gallon won't last long, it depends on the age and size of your beardie right now. It's very hard to get good temps in such a small tank.

Did you decide what you're going to do about the probe thermometer?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, it's hard to say for sure, it depends on what your room temp is and how high the basking spot is to the light. I'm thinking a 40 watt household light bulb would be safer until you get a good thermometer. Any idea when you will be getting one?

Here's a couple of pictures of how I hung the UVB inside one of my tanks showing the metal brackets I mentioned. It's best to have the UVB covering about 2/3 of the length of the tank but my beardie was unable to walk so she really didn't leave her basking spot hardly at all so that's why I used a smaller length hood and bulb for her.
IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0932-1.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom