My Reptar wont eat/poop !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackAndrews

Im a new owner of a baby BD :) and his/her name is Reptar.

For some reason Reptar is barely eating anything and has not pooped in several days(around 5 maybe). However im not sure if he/she just hasnt been pooping because he/she hasnt been eating or if its something else. He/she also just shedded.

His/her tank is 3ft wide 20.5 inches high and 16.5 inches deep.. 50 gallon i think
I have two lamps one is Solar glo 10.0 uvb 125W and the other is sun glo 150W basking lamp
One side of his tank is around 100 degrees and the other is around 80
His/her substrate used to be soil but i just changed it to newspaper cause i heard its better for babys
I havent messured Reptar yet but my guess is around six or seven inches

Was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about stuff i could do to get him eating again.

Also this is my first post so if im missing some info just let me know

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
A couple more questions:
What are you measuring temps with? (digital w/ probe, temp gun, stick-on therm)
What have you tried feeding?
How long have you had him/her?
Do you mist or give baths? How often?
If you have only tried crickets, I would order some phoenix worms online. http://www.mulberryfarms.com if what I recommend if you're in the US. These work well for picky eaters. Other worms you can feed are silkworms, hornworms (small ones), or butterworms. If you still can't get him/her to eat, you may have to mix some turkey or chicken (smaller portion) babyfood with squash babyfood (larger portion) and dilute with water then drip it onto his/her nose with an eyedropper.
Sara

ZackAndrews

Original Poster
Unfortunately i dont live in the US so i cant use that site :(
The thermometers are just regular outdoor ones you would screw onto a patio or something
i only got reptar about three weeks ago
i have been giving him a bath a day for the past 3 days because i heard it can help him relax
also i usually mist the tank once a day, he mostly drinks when i mist but i have seen him use his water dish as well

i have been feeding him crickets with calcium / d3 powder since i got him, at first he never ate a whole lot but that was where he was just moved i guess, after about a week he was eating around 15-18 crickets a day but from what i hear that still isnt a whole lot for a growing BD and now when i put crickets in ill be lucky to see him eat one. i tried freeding him collard greens and cucumber, i havent seen him eat any of the cucumber and i only remember seeing him eat the greens once. on occasion i was feeding him meal worms as well but not very often.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Whoops I didn't notice you were in Canada, sorry about that. You might want to make a seperate post like "Canada- food online" or something so that some of the other members from Canada can help you there. A digital thermometer with a probe would be in the best interests of your little guy. The other ones can be off by as much a 20*F. It's important to measure directly under the basking spot as well to know its not too hot in there. If the side of your tank is 100, the basking spot may be too hot. Also, I may be wrong, but I think the SolarGlo puts out heat as well as UVB. If so then the viv may be way too hot with an additional bulb. Does your baby bask much or spend a lot of the day hiding? If he/she is too hot, he/she won't bask and will lose appetite.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
I agree about those stick on therms! They can be off by as much as 20 degrees. I would suggest purchasing a digital therm with a probe on the end or purchasing a temp gun. Once u figure out what your temps really are...that could help identify if that is an issue or if u even need that second heat bulb on the other side of the enclosure. Honestly, I don't know too much about the SolarGlo lighting. Is that a Murcury Vapor Bulb? If so, how far away is the bulb from the basking spot? If it’s 100 or 125 whatt, it needs to be 12" away from the basking spotbasking spot. No closer. The UVB they emitt and all the heat can be harmful if to close. Shedding can def slow down their eatting but 5 days seems a bit long to not eat at all.

~Sandy

ZackAndrews

Original Poster
I bought a digital termometer and now have the temps. i moved both my lamps right to one side and there is a stick on plant he goes up in right under them and the temp there is usually around 110 on the other side its around 85. He started pooping again but he still isnt eating, maybe one cricket a day and he isnt eating his greens either. He still looks healthy right now but i want him to eat more cause that will change if he doesnt.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Hey that's great that u purchased a good temp reader & that the temps are now accurate! Hopefully the enclosure temps will help with his appetite! If after a couple days...he is still not eating the live feeders, then I would recomend taking a poo sample in to the vet to check for any parasites just to be on the safe side. If he does have parasites...this could also be a reason as to why he has slowed down on eating. The good thing is that he/she is obviously eating something if he/she is still going poo so that's always a plus!

Ok, I noticed that u said u are using a Solar Glo heat lamp? If this is a Murcury Vapor Bulb light, then u will want to use the plain calcium with NO Vit D3. Murcury Vapor Bulbs help with Vit D3 & too much can be toxic to your beardie. For the standard lighting method of a long UVB tube & regular basking bulb...this is where u will want to use the calcium with Vit D3.

~Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom