My Powersun 100w UVB experiment (beardie with eye issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, great. Just let me know if Zoomed is going to give you a refund. If they are not, I will give you Frances' contact email so you can arrange to send the bulb to her.
Let us know how things are going & how the vet visit went too.

Tracie

Rachella

Juvie Member
Aw, poor Scorch!

I'm sorry to hear that her eye(s) have gotten worse. It completely slipped my mind in the other thread that it could've been caused by the lighting. I guess perhaps because it was a MVB and I was more relieved to hear that you had gotten her one rather than a regular UVB light. My apologies!

It's a tremendously wonderful insightful thing that you managed to catch it so quickly! :blob5:

Girl had an instance of bad eyes for about a week a while back. She didn't open them at -all- the entire week except for her bath. A light change and a week later and she was good as new, though since then she does appear to have a minor difficulty getting her food - I've chalked it up to some minor damage hampering her depth perception. She's fine, it just takes her a couple of tries to latch onto a piece of vegetable or cricket. I'm sure Scorch is going to be just fine once you get your new bulb. I'm sorry the Powersun didn't work out for you.

As for her appetite, you could try phoenix worms. They're super wriggly and most beardies have a hard time resisting them! :twisted:

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm really considering phoenix worms! I got some little roaches today and that really sparked up her interest... so I think shes just bored of crickets. Jeff let her eat a couple mealworms too free of charge... I'll be watching her poop the next day.. make sure no impaction :p
I've also heard of Butterworms, hornworms and silkworms. Not sure if they are suitable for a 6 m/o (10.5 inches... shes small)

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well its been a couple of days and great news! Scorch's eyes are almost completely healed! I'm getting my T-Rex 100w in the mail today and I am going to give that a try. And obviously keep a very close eye on scorch for the next few days.
Thank you everyone for helping me nurse Scorch back to health and learn from that totally stupid mistake. I will never be putting her that close to those lights again!
I'll be sure to write and update in a few days on whether the T-rex is working out. I've heard really good things about MVB... but alot of people seem to go with the bask light/uvb light thing. And I see why now. Lol.
Plus I may have to put an extra source of heat in there anyway since MVB aren't too good for heating.

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wow the most random coincidence just happened!
I went to check my doorstep for a package (with t-rex) and I saw a little lizard (western fence lizard or "Bluebelly runners" as we call them here in OR) sitting on my doormat facing my door! Just chillin in a beam of light lol.
Maybe its a sign that the bulb will make scorch really healthy and happy XD I hope so!

I love signs from nature :) They always remind me how very much alive nature is.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Just to let you know, if you try the hornworms, get the really small ones. Those things grow really fast. I would try the butterworms first, they are smaller and will probably be less of a problem for your sized beardie. I would make sure you dragon is getting a really good appetite before getting the hornworms because, as I said, they grow extremely fast.

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well an update... today I am trying the T-Rex. I was worried at first that it wouldn't produce enough heat as in the morning it was only heating the viv to like 90. Then as the day went on it got hotter. Its about 105 now.
I'm a little worried because I found her hiding under her log at one point and she has been closing her eyes a bit more today than yesterday... I've kept the bulb at least 12 inches from her bask spot... its now about 14 inches because it got so hot. She really doesn't like the heat in there to be over 105 degrees. Poor thing.

Well I'm hoping the eye-closing doesn't become an issue again. Or I will most definitely NOT be a happy camper. And somebody will be getting an earful, because as of now I have wasted over 100 dollars on a lighting setup that does not work :p
Sorry, I guess I'm a little stressed by the whole thing T_T

Anyway, yep thats the update.
And about the worms.. she has been eating her crickets again so I think i'll wait just a while more until trying something else new. Thanks for the advice :)

murt923

well thats great news man papis eye isnt 100 percent yet but hes well on his way i got my new reptisun bulb today to and hes looking good he ate 5 crickets as soon as i put him in and i hope his progress continues aswell as scorches

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright! :D I'm glad to hear Papi is doing better as well! I'm sure he will be right as rain in a few days :) And I hope his appetite really increases too. It lessens the worry a lot, I can assure you, Hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yricia
Top Bottom