My poor girls tail!

Nabewolf

So I recently noticed my girl Ripley might have had tailrot that I missed the signs of due to having a darker tailtip. Well last Saturday I got her to the vet, she did have it and it was to late to save with just antibiotics. Yesterday I took her back to have part of her tail amputated. I feel like I failed her big time by not paying enough attention and now she's had to pay the price. I've included post op, immediately before surgery and Saturdays visit pics.

Attachments

• 20230615_071305.jpg
    20230615_071305.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 115

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry Ripley had to go through that.

There is a very big difference between a tail having a dark tip, and the tail having clear signs of necrosis and rot as indicated in your picture. That did not happen overnight. Hopefully the tail was amputated high up enough that the infection is completely gone and not able to spread further up or throughout the body.

-Brandon

Nabewolf

Original Poster
Hmm it didnt add the other 2 pics let's try again, and I know, the pic it posted is just the progress the necrosis made from the vet on Saturday til the surgery on thursday

Edit: it's not letting me attach more images from my phone for some reason I'll post them when I get home from work

Nabewolf

Original Poster
here we are, after the first visit on sat and then the post op

Attachments

• ripstaill2.jpg
    ripstaill2.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 67
  • ripstaill1.jpg
    ripstaill1.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 70

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Poor baby 😔. Heres wishing her a speedy recovery ❤

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She should start to feel better now. Tail amp. doesn't usually cause much pain and she should be up + around quickly. :) Hopefully the vet went up far enough and there's no infection left.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hopefully she has a full recovery. Make sure to keep the area clean to prevent any new infection from starting. Looks like the vet might have cut a bit low. Personally, I would have liked to see it cut a bit higher based on where the infection was, but if all the infection is out, that's the goal :)

Keep us updated on her and don't hesitate to ask if you need any help.

-Brandon

Nabewolf

Original Poster
I'm trying to keep it clean but as of yesterday she still didn't seem very active, when I picked her up to hold her she was clinging very strongly but atill seemed kinda shakey. Then again she's probably extra worn out cuz on Friday, the day after her surgery she laid 26 eggs, she gulped down a fair amount of water from a shallow dish I offered. The vet said I should wait 10 days before giving her a bath, ive been reading that honey is a good way to keep injuries clean from infection, should I do that? She also ate 5-6 super worms but had no interest in the salad I gave her. I just hate that my current job has me away from the house 3am to around 4pm so I can't focus on her care

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The raw unpasteurized honey will help. Just make sure no insects get left in the tank that would be attracted to the honey and nibble at the tail.

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Also be sure to give extra calcium for a bit after laying, she will be depleted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, she should be ok, but the trauma will be hard on her for awhile. Try to keep it clean
& her tank cleared out of anything she could hurt her tail on.
I hope she recovers quickly! Things happen unfortunately with reptiles so often & it's hard to
get it all cleared up.

Tracie

Nabewolf

Original Poster
She seems more active today, she ate some dubias yesterday and some salad, she ate a few more duibia today while I was at work, we are just leaving the vet, I had to bring her 2nd of 4 injections of Fortaz.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom