My new pooper and his new digs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcpeacock

I am new here, so, hi. Just thought I would post pics of my new DIY enclosure. It is 5x2x2. I am a home remodeler, so I had just about everything on hand, except the glass. When did glass get so expensive?!?!
I got my beardie on a rescue of sorts. I got Bubba from the mother of an uninterested kid. I have had him for about a month or so, so we are still getting used to each other. I think it is going well. I have had a snake or two in the past, but he is my first lizard. :shock: I hope its a he. :shock: He is approximately 10 or 11 months and about 16 to 18 inches. He came to me in a 5.5 gallon tank. Poor guy . I found a twenty gallon at a garage sale pretty quick. Better, but still not enough. So I threw this one together pretty quick. About 10 to 12 hours, over two or three days. He has been in it for 5 or 6 days now. I think he likes it, but still not sure how to handle all the space. He loves his criks. 40 to 60 a day(depending on size) I usually have to hand feed him the last five or ten. He has never had to hunt. In a 5.5, he just stood there and waited for the criks to come to him.lol Lazy ole lizard. He is really coming around, and getting very long & thick.
The sides and top are 1/2" baltic birch. The floor is a 1x4 pine "framework", w/1/4" luann floor.(plywood)(to minimize weight) Face frames are ripped down 1x6 yellow pine. Big screen opening on top. Bead board on both sides(outside). The inside is all laminated with counter grade plastic laminate. I could not believe the price for those plastic sliding door tracks. Forget about the aluminum ones. So I laminated some 3/4 x 3/4 ripped down MDF, and cut my glass grooves on the table saw. Besides, 1/4" glass is way too heavy, so I used heavy 1/8". Before I put the glass in, I had no problem carrying it by myself. With glass, it still only weighs about 35 or 40 pounds. Just too big and cumbersome to get a handle on it by myself. I use non-stick shelf liner for flooring. I have seen so many great ideas here on this forum. I can't wait to get another lizard, so I have an excuse to build another one. Bubba's current cage sits on my bar, between my kitchen and living room. So it is visible from both sides with sliding doors, and I wanted it to have a "furniture" look. Not a lot of room for styro-walls, but i have several cans of spray foam, many colors of sanded grout, and a few minutes to spare, so I might just get creative. Thanks for all of the ideas guys, great forum.
This is so addictive. I'll be 41 next month and i'm 6'1" @ 240lbs, and i'm all giddy over a dang ole lizard and his new digs. Go figure:) Sorry for the long winded post, just new daddy syndrome i guess :D :blob8: :D
1288039378593.jpg

DSCF2564.jpg

DSCF2559.jpg

1288385557813.jpg

1288385530103.jpg

busak87

that is an awesome new setup!!! I cant wait untill I can build new ones for both of my guys!!

Great work!!

rcpeacock

Original Poster
Thanks. I'll start on his outside screened house, sometime this week. I already have ideas to do an interior remodel on his new cage. Plus, I am already thinking of ideas for a water dragon viv. My fiance is already tired of hearing about crickets(I started breeding them)and all my other lizard related topics and ventures. She flipped out when I said I wanted to breed Dubias. I guess the roaches are out.lol Good luck on your build.

rcpeacock

Original Poster
Thanks. My aussie/healer(Squishy) gets up on one side, and I have a chair scooted up close on the other side for Molly(my cockapoo, who is totally fascinated/infatuated with Bubba ). Bubba is not phased at all. If I could just get Mouse(my cat) in the pic, I think it would be a worthy pic. Guess its a good thing that the cat does not have much interest in Bubba. I also have a young Havanese pup(Mooky) that could easily fit in Bubba's cage(come to think of it, I think my aussie could fit in there too :shock: ). I would not dream of taking that kind of chance, but it would be photo album worthy. Thanks to sirenique, also

VogueStar

WoW!! That is stunning!! I want to make one of these some day, hopefully it will be as nice as this! Good job!

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
:whistle: what a setup :shock: :shock: You really know your building :roll:
Beardie looks very happy :)

rcpeacock

Original Poster
Thanks. I wanted to start another one this weekend, but I spent my time building dog pens. I think my fiance and I are working on getting our 501c, for our animal rescue.(we foster and board quite a few dogs, quite often) Just dogs right now, but I plan on adding cats and reptiles in the near future. I have 3 1/2 acres, so maybe a horse or two, one day. There does not seem to be a reptile rescue any where near Texarkana, Tx. So I guess I will start my own. Once I am prepared, though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom