My new beardie Eli (Elijah)! very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joellivin

523219_404268629634684_1531077499_n.jpg

304522_405299672864913_725635151_n.jpg

522066_404412156286998_2108683452_n.jpg

We got a new beardie last saturday! Its our first beardie and one of our first reptiles. We had some western fence lizards that were wild caught (by my sons, in texas) that we kept for a year. But we dont have a lot of experience, I have, however, been reading a ton.
Still trying to name him. I am leaning towards Eli, but my kids want Indie (short for Indiana Jones).

Right now he is 12.5" long. He is an orange burst citrus hypo... The pet store said he is about 3 or 4 months old, they will ask the breeders that do there "high end" dragons for an exact date for me. Does that size seem right at only 3 or 4 months?
So far me and my two kids are falling in love with this guy, he's very calm, full of personality. He spends a few hours a day out of his tank hanging out with us on the couch, yesterday I was working on my laptop and he started chasing movement on the screen and trying to eat the little magnifying glass thing on window, it was hilarious.
He (I say he, but dont really know yet) is eating a bowl of greens during the day and every evening about 20 to 30 medium large crickets, I mix in some blue berries occationally and grapes, as well as the occational super worm. He has great coloring, all 10 fingers and toes and a nice full tail. He bit me once, while reaching into the cage, not hard at all, i think it was my mistake and he thought it was food.

Right now he is in a 20 gallon tall tank - I know this is not good, and its very temporary.
I have a heat bulb as well as a zilla compact floresent for UVB (I know now that they arent good and am in the process of ordering an arcadia T-5).
As of now I leave the heat bulb on at night...should i start turning it off? It gets to be about 74 degrees in the house at night.

I have started building a coffee table vivarium, I took apart a glass top table and I will start a thread in the enclosure section soon with some pictures so I can get advice. I know some people are against coffee table vivs because seeing glass above them may scare them. But I will be tinting the glass (probably with a sky pattern tint that I found) and will put down decorative cloth or whatever to prevent a lot of noice. His living space in this thing will be about 25' by 4' and about 18 inches tall. These dimensions may be a little off, im trying to remember while im at work. I will probably do slate tile, then do some of the fake rock back ground and other things ive seen on this website, still planning it all out. I have pretty ok woodworking skills, its the time that will be hard to find (2 kids running around to take care of). Any ideas for a coffee table viv will be appreciated, and hopefully this week sometime I will start my build thread in the enclosures section.
Hopefully I can have this thing built and finished up very soon to get him out of the little 20 gallon (I feel bad).
Anyway, I think that about wraps it up for now, I couldnt be happier with the little guy! I find myself thinking of him and cool things to do with his viv while at work. Thanks for any advice for a new dragon owner.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Hey :) you can definetly turn the light off at night. It is safe to get down to 63, so 74 is more than warm enough for night temps.

Welcome! Your little man is wonderful!

Joellivin

Original Poster
Should I keep the zilla bulb going until I get the arcadia? I read somewhere that it could damage their eye sight.
Would it be better to go a week or so with no UVB to reduce any posible eye damage? Or should I just leave it alone until I get the new bulb and fixture?
Im gonna spend a majority of this weekend working on his new enclosure. I need some good advice of things to watch out for, I think I am ordering the 34" bulb for it. The enclosure will be about 4' long, and I dont want it to not really fit in there too well.
I hope this project doesnt take me too long. I want him out of that 20 gal soon.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66704 has tons of pictures of other members' vivs. I saw one that was converted from a cabinet. A coffee table sounds fun. I would love to see how it turns out :) Are you going to raise it higher from the ground so it's easier to see him in his cage without sitting on the floor?

joea

Hatchling Member
Joellivin":k75opqfm said:
Should I keep the zilla bulb going until I get the arcadia? I read somewhere that it could damage their eye sight.
Would it be better to go a week or so with no UVB to reduce any posible eye damage? Or should I just leave it alone until I get the new bulb and fixture?
Im gonna spend a majority of this weekend working on his new enclosure. I need some good advice of things to watch out for, I think I am ordering the 34" bulb for it. The enclosure will be about 4' long, and I dont want it to not really fit in there too well.
I hope this project doesnt take me too long. I want him out of that 20 gal soon.
I would stop using it for it is harming Eli's eyes. Take Eli outside for about an hour a day so he can get some natural uvb's 8) It will also enhance his coloration. He'll be fine if you don't. It will take a lot longer than a week to get MBD.

Joellivin

Original Poster
Not gonna raise the coffee table, it will still be used as a coffee table so Eli is always front and center and never lacks for attention. It does have a huge glass top though (that I will tint) so we can look in but he won't be able to see out. One or two sides will be glass.
Gonna remove the zilla bulb when I get home.

Joellivin

Original Poster
I had kind of a weird thing happen, Is this normal?
I wanted to take Eli outside for a while for some sun, its a nice warm day, maybe 88 degrees or so.
I put him and his log from his enclosure into a very large plastic tub that I have, same tub I feed him in. I left him in the sun.

I went to start working on his permanent home, came back in about 15 minutes and he had thrown up in a pile in the tub (smelled like human throw up). And he was sitting in the shade spot, very flattened out, mad looking, puffing out his throat and turning dark. I was afraid he might bite at me. I took him out, set him on the warm concrete for a second (weve done that before and he was fine) he took off, I had to chase him into the garage and grab him. I put him back in his enclosure.
So far he has been such a sweet guy, this behavior is so new to me, is it normal?
Kind of freaking me out.

Also, in his cage I got an indoor outdoor thermometer for accuracy, the basking spot is 93 and the cool side is 79. Is that too cool? I took out his basking lamp and used a regular flood lamp instead because I heard they didnt like the red heat lamps, but I may have to put it back in..?

KDK241

Hatchling Member
I'm not sure about the behavior or throwing up, I haven't had to deal with that sorry. Maybe something scared him?

The basking temp should be higher, around 100-110* but not over 110! A regular, clear (not frosted or soft white) household bulb will work fine for a basking light and with a higher basking temp that usually makes the cool side of the tank a little bit warmer also. (At least on my tanks) Also when checking the temp place the probe on the surface of the basking area and leave it for at least 45 min. before reading the temperature.

He's a gorgeous little guy and looks a lot like my Emerson :)

mudskipper

Juvie Member
There are several videos on YouTube (search for bearded dragon outside) and posts in this forum about bearded dragons freaking out when they go outside.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe the bin got too hot for him and he threw up because he overheated? Plastic does heat up pretty quickly. That could also be why he was in the shade.

Joellivin

Original Poster
Lol, so I'm sitting on the couch with Eli wandering around the couch and my lap. I have my cable bill on my lap and I'm on the phone to pay them when Eli walks onto my lap and onto the bill and poops all over it, and I mean ALL OVER it. How can so much poop come out of such a small animal. It was all collard greens and blue berries :)
I've wanted to crap on my bills for a while now and he did ;-)

Eli is verrrryyy cute!! And so BIG!! My beardie Deeno is (according to PetSmart) 4 months old, I've had himfor 3 month's and he's no where NEAR that big! The pictures below I took today, you can see how small he is.

How funny that he pooped on your bills. I have a question about him roaming. When you take him out for you and your children to hold him, does he ever try to run away? Or do you ust let him roam if he wants to? My beardie is getting a little bigger and more curious and when I hold him, he always tries to run but I'm not sure if I should just let him roam....

http://s19.postimage.org/dmnxb0uqr/babydeeno.jpg
AND
http://postimage.org/image/cvv758sdb/

Joellivin

Original Poster
I think the guy that told me Eli was around 4 months old was probably wrong. Idk, I need to go back in and ask again, maybe when I buy more crickets, maybe they had him for 4 months, but I think he has to be older than that at 12.5 inches. They told me they would ask the breeder for the exact date. Its a small reptile and fish place that I got him from and I buy my crickets from them as well.

When I take him out he is usually really calm. I let him roam around the couch, but if he tries to get off the couch I grab him. But he spends most of his time cuddled up to me, kind of in between me and the couch. There has been a few times that he seemed skittish and I put him back in his cage. I dont want him walking around the floor because I fear that my Australian shepherd will paw at him out of curiosity and maybe hurt him. Here is a pic of him chilling with my pug, Lola.
1cd653f7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemommma
Top Bottom