My Max has a funny odor ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levia

but only RIGHT after I give him a bath. And only his head.

*He has a bath 3-4 times a week and I scrub him with a baby's tooth brush (well not like SCRUB, scrub just brush him gently enough to get any left over calcium/vitamin residue off his mouth left over from crickets) tooth brush gets soaked in a small solution of bleach after each bath. (I also replace it often as they are cheap at the dollar store).

*His entire tank gets cleaned out good each week and a good disinfecting once a month with a bleach solution (i have my neighbor help me haul it into the bath tub and i scrub it silly and spray it with bleach then rinse it till I smell no more bleach).

*I use reptile carpet in the bottom (get's switched out after he goes to the bathroom each time and then washed and hung to dry)

*All of the items in his tank get cleaned weekly and disinfected once a month as well.

*Rocks and the log get scrubbed down really good then stuck in
the oven at about 200 for an hour.

*I never leave food in his tank over night. It get's removed every night at 7 as his tank goes out at 9.

*He's had his feces tested and no parasites or health issues.

I can NOT figure out for the life of me why he smells like urine after I bath him. Once he dries the smell just goes away.

Any ideas?

INReptiles

Hatchling Member
Maybe it is the water? I don't know it sounds really odd, they don't urinate liquids so it wouldn't be that, since you mentioned that you brushed his head with a toothbrush and his head is what smells, it could very well be the toothbrush. Do you buy the same brand every time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom