my male beardie wont eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLITCH

hi everybody
i am new at this but a friend of mine recommended this forum to me to get some good advice. i have 2 beardies called sid and nancy - a leopard gecko called bruce - and a everglades rat snake called sheamus. one of my daughters got a tortoise and the other one has got a armedillo girdled lizard. my worry is my male beardie sid. about 6 weeks ago my female beardie laid 24 eggs successfully and they where incubated my supplier who is a breeder of all kinds of reptiles and has a shop. obviously i have had my beardies seperated for some time now. about 8 to nine weeks and the female is doing realy well. eating,basking,playing with me and she had a good shed. the problem with my male is this, he does not eat very well at all and is not interested in anything. the reptile shop told me that he would do this because he is feeling sorry for himself but i am getting worried now. has anybody got some advise for me to make him feel better? he has not lost loads of weight and still got his muscle tone. please give me some ideas. thank you for listening.

shadi11

BD.org Addict
so they have only been seperated 8 weeks.. has he been doing this since? its a bit long for relocation stress.. have you changed anything else? has he had a fecal?
Do you have a uvb light? what kind? what are your temps? how do you measure? what substrate do you use.
this would give us a good starting point

FLITCH

Original Poster
thank you for answering so quick. i have set up a complete replica viv for the male so he is in exactly the same invironment as he was in before. the viv is 4foot by 2foot by 2 foot , he has a basking light. ceramic. and an 8.0 uvb full spectrum running along the lenght of the viv. all my reptiles lights and heaters are on timers and thermostats. i know that there is nothing wrong with the set up as i have carefully replicated it for him and he was great before the split up.

shadi11

BD.org Addict
can he see the other one maybe?? I am it seems like a long time to be relocation stress..
hmm.. brumation?? is he sleeping more? hows the weather there? i have 3 going into brumation..
a vet doing a fecal might be good either way. make sure theres no parasites. and hes healthy

FLITCH

Original Poster
i will get6 a fecal to the vet its allways a good idea. the weather is changing here and the temperature outside has dropped. he is sleeping a bit more. do you think he might be going into brumation already? i bought this pair in january this year from somebody and he told me that he got them from 2 different breeders in opposite directions of the country. the reason i took them of him was because his wife was afraid of them. the beardies where very nervous and it took me a long time to make them calmer and happy but they have been together for a long time. i was also thinking that he might be depressed as he is not seeing her now.

shadi11

BD.org Addict
Its possible brumation could be starting.. get a fecal just to make sure theres no parasites.its better to keep them seperate. even though he could also be upset over the move. he should really be beyond that point. the male can breed the female to death. i would give him baths daily and see if that helps a little. until you can go to the vet. keep offering food also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom