my late bloomer is growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I have had a really hard time finding live feeders Booger will eat. Crickets, repti-worms, hasn't been much of a eater at all, at 6 months old he was 6 1/2 inches long, and about 14.2 grams, now I have him on roaches, 4 weeks later he is 8 1/4 inches long and right at 28 grams. He gets his roaches in the morning, worms in a bowl for the day (greens too) and more roaches at night, I changed things up and today he ate a lot, finally, I did put him in a tub and feed him that way, but still won't eat much, tried just putting roaches in a bowl they can't get out of in his tank and he ate about 15-20 of them just tonight, so that means he feels more comfortable in his tank, so roaches in a bowl in his tank morning and night, worms during the day, I think I figured out a way he will eat more.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I tried putting roaches in his bowl again this morning and put it in his tank, he ate 20+ roaches, now I know where to feed him he should really grow. He just wasn't eating enough in a feeder tub, ( maybe around 10) sure wish I figured that out a long time ago. But now he is doing very well and eating tons. Time to order more roaches and the big ones I have will save to see if I can start a colony.

Sounds great that you figured out something that works! What roach species do you use? I, too, have a late bloomer and know the pain of trying to get them to eat well enough.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I have got the Dubia roaches, and he just loves them. I ordered from people on this site, Between 6-7 months he is starting to have a growth spurt, and loving it. He has doubled his weight in a month , but he is finally eating lots, and I mean lots of roaches, about 40-50 a day now. I would say try them, you will be suprised, I know I was.

What sort of dish do you use to keep the roaches in? Do you have a picture? I have trouble with superworms escaping the bowl I currently have for Garrus, and it's driving me nuts!

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I just got a bowl for cats today, I put his roaches in there and they can't get out unless he is in there eating and they climb on him. It doesn't move as it has a bottom so it won't slide. Might have to get a taller one soon tho. Check out cat and dog bowls, they seem to be taller and maybe they won't get out?

If the sides are taller, how does your dragon get in there/reach to get to the food? I'm a really visual person, so pictures help best!! :study:

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
so far the bowl I got him has smaller sides. and big around so he can get in and eat, but he is only 8 1/4 inches long right now. If I can post a pic I will but it isn't a close up because I only have a phone to take pics.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
110709_001.jpg

this is the cat bowl I bought for Booger for his roaches, and they are under 1/2"

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Only thing bad about the bowl, Booger jumps in but can't get his feet under him, maybe paper towl taped to bottom?

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
BrilliantEraser":ph9809fp said:
Phoenix worms...crawled out of that cat bowl? I've never had trouble with them being able to escape...well, anything, really. :shock:

I've heard that and so I thought I was going crazy for a moment too; but they were indeed crawling up and over the side of the dish...getting on my counter. ick!

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Just measured Booger tonight and hes up to 8 3/4 inchs now, 1/2 in less then a week, not sure on weight, have to get bigger scales soon. I did tape some paper towls on bottom of bowl and he has no problem getting in and eating now,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom