my first rescue and first beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizard43

* Edit post
* Report this post

New proud parent of a rescued beardie :)

Postby lizard43 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:50 pm
hi everyone, i just rescued my first bearded dragon and i am very excited and nervous. i have recently decided that i would like to add a bearded dragon to our family after much research. initially, i wanted a baby but after checking craigslist.com for supplies i came across Bindi who was in need of rescuing. perhaps i was a little hasty, but she desperately needed a good home and i couldn't help falling in love with her. i was told she is a little over a year reaching an approx. length of 12" including tail. i still need to double check the sex but i am trying to give her some space to adjust to the stresses of moving, so ill have to get back on that one. she seems very alert and has already tried to catch a house fly that came close to her tank so i am grateful for that but i worry about her hitting her snout against the glass. tomorrow my first stop is the pet store for crickets and vitamins, i spoke with her previous owner about her diet and it would seem she fed her more veggies than protein which concerns me. i also need to replace the heating bulbs and fixtures, buy a temp reader (she had no means of checking the temp!!!) and sooner than later get a bigger enclosure. the substrate that was used was carpet (which i would like to replace with tile) and wood chips. wood chips!? what is the benefit of that? those will be gone tomorrow. i am considering building a custom vivarium for her but ill probably keep the smaller tank because i still plan on getting a baby boy beardie later, and ive read a smaller habitat for babies is less stressful. my research is ongoing and i will gladly appreciate any advice to help my little girl. i have had snakes in the past but no lizards, so i am not totally new to reptiles but i know it is a big difference and i want what is best to give her a better life. thank you:)

lizard43
Newbie Poster

* Private message
* E-mail lizard43

* Report this post

Re: New proud parent of a rescued beardie :)

Postby ATLBeardedDragons » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:57 am
If you are interested, I have a detailed CARE SHEET on our website that explains in full detail of Bearded Dragon Care: Lighting, Housing, Diet, etc.

I would NEVER use wood chips, they serve no beneifit and puts a huge risk of splinters & impaction towards your Bearded Dragon. You may use newspaper or LOWE's (not Home depot) KID'S PLAY SAND. Lowe's is extremely fine and super GRADE A++++ Sand... as Home Depot's is Chunky and can pose a health risk with impaction as well. I personally use Newspaper for adults and babies. I find it easier to dispose of and no chance for parasites/mites to build up in the sand. Of course if you scoop your cgae as you would with a Cat's Litterbox (Daily) it shouldnt be a problem to keep odor free and sanitary. I would change the sand out every 2-4 weeks depending on the size of the tank. The 50lb. BAG @ Lowe's costs $5... As opposed to the Pet Stores that Charge $30 for a 25lb Bag of ReptiSand. You dont need to be Tricked into having to Purchase Calcium Sand. As long as you dust your Crickets LIGHTLY every Other Feeding with Cricket Dust that contains Vitamin D3 , than you will be fine.

[email protected]

http://www.AtlantaBeardedDragons.com

sincerely,
:blob5: ABD :blob8:
http://www.AtlantaBeardedDragons.com

ATLBeardedDragons
Hatchling Poster

* Private message
* E-mail ATLBeardedDragons
* Website

* Report this post

Postby Kacymyree » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:34 am
I would encourage you to do all the research you can. Especially using sand. in my opinion it's just not worth it.. using sand is just asking for impaction issues. slate, tile, repticarpet, non-adhesive shelf liner, newspaper and any other non particle substrate is safer. Also at a year old 12 inches seems very small. what is your set-up like?

Kacymyree
Juvie Poster

* Private message
* E-mail Kacymyree

* Edit post
* Report this post

Postby lizard43 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:27 am
sorry it took so long for an update, i tried a few days ago and it wouldnt go through. i measured Bindi and she came out at about 14 to 15 inches (it was hard to get it exact). in the two days after owning her i spent around 200 dollars getting her tank up to standard. she needed thermometers (my digital is coming in the mail), because i had no way of knowing how warm it was. my readings with the old day bulb was in the low 90', so i had to put on both day and night bulbs to get it up to about 95! the next day i bought a new heat bulb and now the hot side is around 103 while the cool side is around 80. the wood chips where the fist to go. until i construct her a custom habitat she is on reptile carpet but she will be on tile soon. i have been feeding her crickets and roaches (as treats) except for today because she hasn't been eating her salad (she ate some today). her colors have changed from light brown with light gray markings to dark brown with dark gray markings with orange around her mouth which i take as a good sign. i dust all of her live food with calcium and a multivitamin with beta-carotene instead of VA to insure no overdoses. i try to handle her a few times a day because she seems a little skittish, but after the initial pick up she settles nicely. i bought her a t-rex comfort leach to take her outside with and she seemed to have no problem with it so i will continue doing that unless i get advised that it is bad for her. i have read that natural sunlight is good for her. i bought her a uvb bulb and fixture, despite our trips out side, because she didnt have one before!!!! when i take her out of her habitat (after the initial trying to get away), she just sits with me while i watch a movie or read a book which i take as another good sign. my biggest worries are that she has been with out proper care for so long that once she reaches adult hood she might die of a calcium deficiency or other neglect. are there things i might do to reverse any such damage? and what else might i do to ensure a healthy happy dragon?

lizard43
Newbie Poster

* Private message
* E-mail lizard43

* Report this post

Postby Serenox » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:37 pm
Forgive me... But I do not see the inherent danger of using wood chips ( I know I will be flamed for this) but I have started using wood chips in my 9 year old beardies cage and I must say I like it much better than Sand its cleaner and seems more enjoyable for my dragon, I do know abot compaction and I know that the chances of injesting unwanted materials are higher than more retro choices of reptile mats, tiles etc.... But if one is careful of how they feed their Dragon compaction shouldnt be a problem.

Serenox
Newbie Poster

* Private message
* E-mail Serenox

* Report this post

Postby beardie parents » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:05 pm
I've never used wood chips. I did read a story of one lady that got a beardie from a petstore, it had been on wood chips. The beardie had been underfed and, because of that he had eaten the wood chips. He pooped out the wood chips, for several days, after he was in his new home. I can see no reason to use wood chips.
redrocks parents

beardie parents
Extreme Poster

* Private message

* Report this post

Postby Serenox » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:46 pm

beardie parents wrote:I've never used wood chips. I did read a story of one lady that got a beardie from a petstore, it had been on wood chips. The beardie had been underfed and, because of that he had eaten the wood chips. He pooped out the wood chips, for several days, after he was in his new home. I can see no reason to use wood chips.

I think much the same I do not see why people must make such a commotion about substrate Although I will likely quit using wood chips i have not had any problems with compaction.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there,

I may be the woman beardieparents is referring too.

Billy was kept at a pet store on woodchips and we rescued him because id seen him ingest some. We took him home and started disimpacting him with baths, massages and slurry and a horrifying number of shredded woodchips came out of him. He had just been picking them up whilst he ate and they had all got stuck inside of him. He was a very lucky dragon to survive it, and only did because I had seen him eat one or two chips so I knew to get them out of him.

Impaction is a very dangerous thing because often there are no outward signs of it. They can even pass stools ok but have splinters of chippings stuck in their guts. Honestly its just not a risk worth taking. It can and does cost dragons to lose their little lives.

If the issue is cost then just get out the woodchips and keep him on kitchen paper-towel until you decide on a more perminant option.

I know alot of people like to stick to their guns and prove they were right. But your beardie is more important that your pride. Please give it some thought and keep us updated on him x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom