My First Beardie Just Died........Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snagy

Hello,

I just bought my first Bearded Dragon a week ago (About 4 or 5 weeks old), when I selected him I noticed he had what looked like a little sore on his rear end with barely noticeable swelling, I asked the Breeder if he was OK as he didn't look like the others and he just said it was dried faeces.....so I thought nothing of it. The first few days he ate veges and crickets, I wasn't able to get smaller crickets so I gave him larger ones that I had chopped up into tiny chunks. Then about two days ago I noticed he wasn't eating, I then noticed his rear end (underside) had swollen up into a little ball, nothing was protruding, it was just a hard little lump covered in skin. I had no friggin idea what to do so I gave him a warm bath and gently washed the area hoping that might stimulate him to pass whatever it was. As soon as I put him back in his tank, he lifted up his back legs and tail and started swaying and was straining to pass something, when I looked closer it looked like he was trying to push his guts out, it was all pink and shiny..........a turd was no where to be seen and then it all went back in again. Anyway I booked him into the vet today, when I went home to get him, he was stiff and then he died like 10mins later in my hands....poor little bugger! Did I do something wrong?????????? Also would it be rude of me to ask the Breeder if I can have another one???

Cheers
Sarah

Dawnrider

I am sincerly sorry about the passing of your little beardie. What you described sounds like a proplasion of the intestines. It could be that the lining of his intenstines where tore either at birth or when your breeder had him. Sometimes this is the result of a near miss impaction sometimes not. What I think I can safely say is that it was not something you didthat caused this to happen. from what you described, either he was born with a defomity or something happened when the breeder had him. Yet still I would like to know about your substrate, and setup just to rule out anything as unlikey as it might seem.

Snagy

Original Poster
Cheers for that...... ..Well I've got a UVB (5 or whatever that means) and a Heat light at one end, a shallow drinking pool, large rocks, a log and at present I'm using newspaper until I can find that articial grass mat. Don't like the idea of rocks, sand etc.....I would assume it would be annoying to clean and I've read Beardies will sometimes eat it which causes problems.

1happymommy

Juvie Member
So sorry you had a sick little guy. I would call the breeder and let him know what happened. I bet he would offer you another little friend. Especially since you pointed out the bump when you bought him. Let us know what happens.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Have you called the breeder and let him know what happened? They should refund you. And I wouldnt go there again if he didnt even know there was something wrong with him and thought it was just dried poop :(

CalBears

You need to let the breeder know that he sold you an ill animal and he should refund you, IMO. I don't know if it is against board rules, but you should tell us if the breeder does or does not refund you your money or offer a replacement. If he does not, you should let us know so that anyone who reads this will never purchase from him/her again.

Snagy

Original Poster
Will keep you posted, his on holidays at the moment so I haven't called him yet, his due back this week Thursday, so I'll let you guys know what the outcome is. I'm pretty sure he'll be nice about it.

Little D

Hatchling Member
Very sorry to hear about your BD. I also agree that the breeder should come good and replace your loss with another one.

As for your substrate, give ceramic tiles a thought. I've put them in my BD's viv and they are great. Very easy to clean and also look nice.

Snagy

Original Poster
Hey that's a good idea......wouldn't have thought of that, I've got a heap of tiles left over in my shed. So it doesn't bother your little guy running around on a hard surface???? I would love to make his enclosure as realistic as possible but after reading stuff about BD's getting clogged up on sand and rocks, it's kinda put me off. I think I'll give it ago......sounds better than newspaper. Cheers for that!

Little D

Hatchling Member
Snagy":bf12e said:
Hey that's a good idea......wouldn't have though of that, I've got a heap of tiles left over in my shed. So it doesn't bother your little guy running around on a hard surface???? I would love to make his enclosure as realistic as possible but after reading stuff about BD's getting clogged up on sand and rocks, it's kinda put me off. I think I'll give it ago......sounds better than newspaper. Cheers for that!

Another good thing about the tiles is that they say it helps keep their claws filed down a little bit. I like to line the bottom of the viv with paper towel first, then I put the tile over that. I did this because I didn't grout my tiles in. I'm not 100% sure if I regret that now or not, maybe should have. Anyway, with the paper towel underneath, and poop or anything that goes in between the tile lands on the paper towel. Then I just replace the paper towel to clean up. This also allows me to take the tiles out once in a while and give them a REALLY good cleaning... :D

Snagy

Original Poster
Very Happy!!!.....the Breeder came good and offered me a replacement which I'll be collecting this weekend. This time I'll make sure I pick the healthiest little bugger.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Just a thought, the UVB you mentioned is it a Reptiglo 5.0 ? If so switch to a ReptiSun 10.0, they are much better, though you will have to replace every 6 months.
I have tile, as well as grout that I sealed in with Mod Podge. It lets the nails get filed naturally, all easy clean up, and looks terrific ! You can get colored grout, either paint on with a sponge, or splash (jk) on with a brush. I grouted the ramps and the second level of the current enclosure. Pm me if you have any questions, I will do my level best to answer ! :)
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom