my first bearded dragon. and i need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfinn546

my mom just bought me a bearded dragon yesterday and he is so adorable. i have his tank set up and everything but he doesnt seem to be very warm. please give me some advice to make him as comfortable as possible. thanks :D

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Can you tell us about your setup? What are you using as a UVB source? Brand, type (florescent tube/coil/MVB)? Do you have a basking bulb set up? What kind of bulb? How are you measuring your temps (stick on thermometer, round thermometer, digital with probe, temp gun)?

tfinn546

Original Poster
well he is in a 30 gallon tank. and right now all we have to use is a flood light and at night time he has a red UV light. when i pick him up he feels cold to the touch. i am really concerned that he isnt as warm as he should be.

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
What wattage is the bulb?
Do you have a thermometer?

Also here is a list that i put together for another member of things to get:

Option 1:
40 gallon breeder tank (minimum for an adult)
Basking bulb (this can be just an ordinary house holdbulb)
Clamp lamp (for basking bulb)
36" Reptisun 10 tube or Repti-glo 8.0 (if you can find it) (need to be replaced every 6 months)
Florescent light fixture (you can get these at home depot or lowes, they are shop lights)
Substrate for the bottom - non-adhesive shelf liner, paper towels, news paper, tile, washed & sifted childrens play sand (sand for sub-adults/adults only)
Thermometer - either a digital one with a probe or a temp gun
Basking platform
Food dishes
Calcium with D3 Phosperus free
Multi-vitiman
Large Cricket Keeper

Option 2:
40 gallon breeder tank (minimum for an adult)
Mercury Vapor Bulb (t-rex active heat uv, power sun or reptileUV) (these are more expenseive to start with but are much better and last 2x as long)
Deep Clamp lamp (for MVB)
Clamp lamp (incase you need extra light at the other end of the viv)
Substrate for the bottom - non-adhesive shelf liner, paper towels, news paper, tile, washed & sifted childrens play sand (sand for sub-adults/adults only)
Thermometer - either a digital one with a probe or a temp gun
Basking platform
Food dishes
Calcium no D3 Phosperus free
Multi-vitiman
Large Cricket Keeper

Things to stay away from:
colored bulbs
coil/compact bulbs
any bulbs by ESU or Zilla
Calci-Sand
Repti-Sand

~Allison

tfinn546

Original Poster
ok its 120 watt flood lamp for the basking bulb. and a 50 watt red light bulb from petco. we are getting a thermometer from my bf's friend probably in a few days. he seems to be pretty happy but i know that he is not warm enough. i am really concerned about him. i am abit short on money right now and its sucks because i want him to adjust to his new home.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Is there any way that you can build him up a platform so that he can get closer to the basking light?
The red light shouldn't be used, and you need a UVB bulb ASAP!
You can get a good thermometer at walmart for $12; it doesn't have to be a reptile specific thermometer.

If he is cold to the touch, he is too cold.

tfinn546

Original Poster
we also have two long log like things in his tank , and he perches on them and gets himself closer to the light.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Please take a look at the list given all of those things are a must but most important is getting the UVB and the digital probe therm or temp hun.There is no way he will thrive without proper temps and UVB.Beardies are diurnal they require sunlight to process d3 without they become stricken with MBD(metabollic bone disease)Also in your size tank I am a little concerend that the bulb you have for heat is seriously too much heat.Is it a basking bulb,household flood,how close is he to it?I cant imagine him being too cold unless he isnt basking because the temps are too high on the basking area.Please go get a thermometer and uvb as soon as possible he needs it ASAP.

tfinn546

Original Poster
he is actually doing really well. we figured out a better lighting situation and he is ALOT warmer. he has some logs in his tank to bask on and they help alot. i dont think hes eating as much as he should though. i give him fresh food and water every morning but he tends to just tip over his bowl of greens and veggies and spreads them all over his tank. its hard to tell if he is getting all the nutrients he needs.

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
Its typically for babies to play in their salad rather than eat it but they will eventually. As long as she is eating her feeders she should be fine. Hows she doing?

ellie08

hi,
ive not long got a bearded dragon and heard a few people give theres baths and showers..
is it safe 2 do so and do they like it..?? :?

wizbee

Juvie Member
Baths yes, showers, no. LOL Bearded dragons keep hydrated by soaking in an elbow deep baby warm tub of water for 15-20 minutes. Never leave them alone, they can drown. I soak mine 2 times a week. They don't realy drink out of a bowl so this is important to keep hydrated.
WELCOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom