My first bearded dragon adopted yesterday! need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

vader111

Hey all> I have already kind of introduced myself with a few questions in a different post in the behavior/general discussion forums. I adpoted my 3-4 year old Bearded dragon, Chuck yesterday. I am very unexpierenced , so I would be very happy to accept any advice and tips you all shoot at me. Right now I have the temp at about 95 and climbing. I was told by the previous owner to keep it between 80-100. correct me if I am mistaken. He is currently living in the tank he grew up in which is too small for him. about 27-30 inches. I am working out a deal with a friend for a much larger tank. Right now, he has tanbark for the flooring, and I am not sure what to buy for the next tank. He is very skiddish and agressive towards me which I can understand, but he is eating, basking, and very active in the cage which I assume means he is healthy. I elaborate much more on that in my other post. here are a couple pix. I am open to a bombardment of tips and suggestions from anyone willing to give them. I really love the site, forums, and the attitude of all you other bearded dragon owners. Best wishes to all. --Bret, Santa Cruz, California
1236562425.jpg
1236563055.jpg

BrittanyS

Hatchling Member
Hello and welome ! :D

Here's my suggestions
he has tanbark for the flooring
I would replace that with slate tile, repti carpet, or non adhesive shelf liner.

I was told by the previous owner to keep it between 80-100. correct me if I am mistaken.
Basking should be around 100-105 and cool side should be 80-85

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
Well he has to get use to you that is why he is aggressive to you. Stroke his back they like that and that is how he will get use to you from ur body temperature but go at him with ease do not startle him also he could be aggressive because his tank is small that will cause them t be defensive. I have a baby beardie and I use Repti Carpet for him it better to use and easy to clean. He looks very healthy i am loking at my bok on bearded dragons giving u as much advice as possible if u need any more info u can call me 202-758-5638 Keith

vader111

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks so much for all the great advice. I will surley take advantage of all the tips. I have a few other quick questions. How often should I clean out his tank? If he is still new and getting used to me, how would I give him a bath? Should I wait until he is finally used to me? I have tried feeding him crickets, which he dosent seem to eat. It seems like the only thing he eats is chopped carrots and lettuce. I have also noticed that his food isnt digesting well, because I can still see the lettuce and carrots in his waste. Is that normal? Thanks for all your support and advice.

3cherries

Hatchling Member
Carrots aren't a great food for beardies due to high vit A.. they are good used as a treat.. and what lettuce are you using? lettuce holds no nutritional value and should not be used.. you need leafy greens like mustard or collard greens and I do not think you should be seeing food in the poo.. make sure the basking temps are good so he can digest well.
Check out this site for food:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

As far as the bath goes, I say go for it b/c you dont know the last time he was given one and want to make sure he is well hydrated.. just put warm water in the tub.. but not too high.. about enough to cover most of his legs.. you can search the forum or look in photo expressions to see some pics to get an idea.

3cherries

Hatchling Member
looking at your pics again.. where is the basking light? does he have something where he can climb on to bask and be within 6-8inches of the light? if not he needs to be and that will help w/ digestion.. basking spot needs to be around 95-105 and cool side 80.. but sure you knew that :)

vader111

Original Poster
The basking and UV lights are in the picture, i do realize that they arent too clear. He has a little tree that he sits on that is about 4-6 inches from the lights and another basking rock that is about 9-10 inches away. He loves them both. The basking temp stays at about 90-100 so that is good. I will make sure my next viv will have a more accurate temp of what he needs. I do try to take him out, but he becomes very threatened. I am not sure if he was treated nicely by his last owner because he is very nervous around humans, so I think im going to wait on the bath. Each day I rub his back, which he is finally acceptive of. I will take all the advice on greens to keep him hydrated all other possible ways until he lets me pick him up. I change his water dish 2-3 times a day when I'm around and I do see him laying in it and occasionally drinking from it. I just cant wait to get him out of that little cramped viv so he can have a home he deserves. I will use the link for that food page you guys gave me and will make sure he gets what he needs. Thanks all!

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
I would also suggest you get a thermometer with a temp probe that you can place right on the basking spot. I noticed that you have the dial type stuck to the sides of the tank and can be off by quite a few degrees.....Ok ..there are my two cents :wink:

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Welcome!

If you dont have any of the flooring said in the earlier posts you can use papertowl or newspaper for now. It takes time with the older ones just talk to him and give him his baths dont worry if he dosnt like the baths because its needed and he will calm down after a while. Luke warm water up to his armpits for 20 mins every other day. I do mine every day for 10 mins because it helps them poo mine usually poos in the water then theres none in the viv :D Since hes a adult his basking temps need to be between 100 to 105f cool side 80 to 85f.

Hes a handsome beardie :D

vader111

Original Poster
sweet I will take all that advice. I did give him a bath today and it seems like it was his first. He didnt like it one bit. I left him in there for about 15 min (while i cleaned the tank) and scrubbed him with a soft toothbrush. I took the advice about the lettuce and carrots. he now has some raw zucchini sqash, peas, with some chopped raw asparagus. About the heating...right now I think the temps could be a little higher but the current lighting wont allow it. The highest it goes to (basking side) is 95-100 but it takes a while to get there. Until i can buy the proper heating equipment is there any way I can heat it a little more? Like putting a small heater next to the viv? Or near it on the ground? I was looking at the pix on the viv pix thread and they are all amazing. I really have agreat idea of how my new one will look. i noticed sand in a lot of those tanks...is sand a good idea for the flooring? sorry for all the questions :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom