My everything was diagnosed with Leukemia today

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is super hard, emotionally to try & keep them from brumating. What you can do is let him
rest more, as if he were brumating just to allow a little bit of normal behavior. Try to keep him on
an even keel as best you can.
Is his beard normal color & not dark?
We are all keeping him & you in our thoughts, daily! Oswald is a sweet boy.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It’s been the worst week and a half of my life. I’ve never felt so broken. Do me a favour though and love on your little guy extra hard. Life is so short and anything can happen, your entire world can change overnight. Enjoy every waking moment you have with your little friend.
Gosh im talking like he’s dead- Oswald is very much not dead, but yet I cannot help but grieve, its a process, probably a long one for me, and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy, but yet I would still do all of this again. The love we have for these little creatures is so worth it.
Give your beardie some extra love for me and Oswald today :) they deserve it
I absolutely will 🙂

Chloepd7

Original Poster
Hello,

That is super hard, emotionally to try & keep them from brumating. What you can do is let him
rest more, as if he were brumating just to allow a little bit of normal behavior. Try to keep him on
an even keel as best you can.
Is his beard normal color & not dark?
We are all keeping him & you in our thoughts, daily! Oswald is a sweet boy.

Tracie
His beard is not black, not showing any sings of pain.

Chloepd7

Original Poster
Thought I would post a little update.
It’s been one week since Ozzie’s first dose of chemo, I can definitely tell that he is sleepier and not super happy. He hasn’t eaten yet today but he showed no signs of issues chasing his worries yesterday. I have noticed though that he is rejecting his greens entirely and only accepting worms or beardie buffet. Critical care did not go well either as he has sensory issues (just like his momma ;-;) and cannot deal with the apple sauce consistency getting on his face, and it really upsets him. So it’s the beardie buffet and the worms for now I guess, I hope that is enough nutrients for my boy. In other news, hes so incredibly fed up with his medication, he fights me so hard to get his steroids in, and having to restrain him for his antibiotic shots just hurts my soul. I know this is right for. Him and will make him feel better (hopefully!) in the end but it is just so emotionally painful right now to see him like this. he has a blood test today to determine how his cancer is responding to the chemo but I can tell that he’s not feeling super great. I am hoping that this will pass. He’s pooping daily, very normal too and though his energy is definitely much lower, he is not acting like he did on the tramadol. I think he is still showing signs of wanting to fight so I am going to continue, but I just wanted to share an update with you guys on his journey.
Additionally, I do not know if this is allowed here, if it isn’t please let me know but Oswald has a link for his gofundme to fund his cancer treatment, I just thought I would share it here so that it passed through the grapevine.
Help Oswald get his Chemotherapy, organized by Chloe Dean

All of you have been so incredibly helpful to me during this highly emotional time. Im so great full for all of you.
thank you, so much

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
As far as I know it's ok to post that link.
Hopefully folks here will share it on their social media also. (Personally i avoid every form of social media so i can't 😔) but i will text it to friends and family 🙂.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Ozzie, he has spirit! When are you checking on his blood values?
I hope he doesn't have to stay on meds too long. I'm sure he is tired of the softer foods!
Keep trying with him, he seems to be doing well overall right now.

Tracie

Chloepd7

Original Poster
Hello,

Poor Ozzie, he has spirit! When are you checking on his blood values?
I hope he doesn't have to stay on meds too long. I'm sure he is tired of the softer foods!
Keep trying with him, he seems to be doing well overall right now.

Tracie
His blood values came back today, the doctor first and foremost said they were stable. However he said that there isn’t really any evidence that the chemo is keeping the cancer at bay. It has not grown, but has not dropped either. They said this could be because of a few things.
1. The chemo doesn’t work on his cancer
2. He just needs more doses before we see improvements

His mood has drastically changed though. He is definitely more lethargic (though he does walk around occasionally) and his appetite is almost completely gone (I have to hand feed him repast mixed with critical care that I basically have to shove in his mouth (poor guy is not pleased) additionally I am noticing the presence of black bearding. However, what puzzles me about it is that when I take him out, his black beard disappears as if he is feeling better. So that has led me to believe that maybe he’s just turning dark to absorb sun? It’s just really important to me that he is not in any pain or upset in away way.

It’s been really heartbreaking to see how attached by the hip he’s been to me lately, all he wants to do is sit and sleep on me and he looks at me with this face of someone who is pleading for help. I can see it in his eyes that he just wants his momma to make it feel better. I am extremely emotional through this and I am so worried that I am making the wrong decisions for him. I wish he could just tell me when he’s ready to go and when he still has fight left.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I feel so bad for you both. Hopefully the chemo starts making a difference soon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry, that is horrible.
Have you double checked the temperatures in the tank to be sure he is at optimal basking temps?
They do have the tendency to want to be held & will black beard to try & get more attention. In this
case I would say he just wants to be held. I am pretty sure you will know when he is done fighting
but in the meantime if he has spirit & continues to fight keep on with him & encouraging him. He is
definitely a fighter. Give it some time to work, remember that reptiles tend to respond slowly to
treatments.
We are all pulling for him. He is a precious boy indeed.

Tracie

Chloepd7

Original Poster
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry, that is horrible.
Have you double checked the temperatures in the tank to be sure he is at optimal basking temps?
They do have the tendency to want to be held & will black beard to try & get more attention. In this
case I would say he just wants to be held. I am pretty sure you will know when he is done fighting
but in the meantime if he has spirit & continues to fight keep on with him & encouraging him. He is
definitely a fighter. Give it some time to work, remember that reptiles tend to respond slowly to
treatments.
We are all pulling for him. He is a precious boy indeed.

Tracie
tanks temps are just as they always are! Even bought a laser thermometer to confirm. I think he’s just generally not in a great mood right now and 9 certainly do not blame him. I’m gonna give chemo a second chance. It’s so heartbreaking to see him like this but I know he’s got some fight left.I trust I will know when it’s time and that he will tell me it is time.i do not want to keep him here longer than he would like to stay.

in the meantime I’ve spent lots of time singing to him. His favourite song has always been here comes the sun. My mum would sing that to him when she used to turn on his lights in the morning. I just want him to feel as much love as I have for him, as my love is truly infinite
oswald would like to say thank you for rooting for him and helping his mom through his difficult time :)

Attachments

• IMG_2270.jpeg
    IMG_2270.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 42

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oswald looks really good though. I pray for
him & hope that his system stays strong!
Does his beard stay normal color most of the
time?
I'm sure that it's hard on him, just as it is with
you. Continue with your daily regimen with
him, it is helping him & encouraging him.

Keep us updated on him!

Tracie

Chloepd7

Original Poster
He’s ready to go. I know it in my heart. Saying goodbye tomorrow 💔

Attachments

• 4307CF4E-6F35-48CC-B791-C14BAB54B4C8.jpeg
    4307CF4E-6F35-48CC-B791-C14BAB54B4C8.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 92E2D6ED-4D73-4A1C-AC36-C12F4E5B6D6E.jpeg
    92E2D6ED-4D73-4A1C-AC36-C12F4E5B6D6E.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 5B1E6596-2588-4FF8-BDF3-F778A4A830FB.jpeg
    5B1E6596-2588-4FF8-BDF3-F778A4A830FB.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 46

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom