My Dragon is very very ill happened over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SM45

I have had my Bearded Dragon no lie for about 12 to 13 years. I have been using the same UVA and UVB and substrate for the length of time hes been alive. The other day I was doing a sand change and gave him a bath. He was doing fine in the bath jumping around having fun as always and after he was done I put him back in his tank obviously. The next day I noticed his skin began to whiten and he became very ill or really unreponsive and tired. He would not eat...nothing. This morning I woke up and found him fallen off his basking spot so I rushed to the tank to see if he was ok and he was still breathing very slowly and will not open his eyes at all. I have never ever seen him do this before...I was thinking that he is so old that maybe the stress of the sand change or the cleaning got to him I don't know. Again I have used the same things for years and have never had any problems. Please help!!!

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Hello :). He is an old guy. If ou have been doing everything the same his whole life and nothi g has changed and he has loved this long maybe it is just his time. I had a cat that was 17 years old. One day he just looked tired and looked like he was really to go. So I took him to the vet and he was really sick his kidneys where shutting down. I had to put him to sleep :(. I don't want to make you feel bad because I know we all love out pets but it sounds like he has had a good long life and might be ready to go

SM45

Original Poster
He now will open his eyes and raise his head look around and then go back to sleep? It may be his time I Pray not could it be a hybernation of sorts and it is more severe now because of his age?

brittani299

Extreme Poster
It could be. Maybe he is trying to go into brumation but is having some problems. Can you take hi to the vet at all?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What a guy, for 13 or so that is very good.
How are his eyes looking, are they sunken in or bright looking right now?
Have you been using a UVB light for him & if so, what type & brand is it? How often do you give calcium?
Do you have any pictures of him?

It could be brumation but it may be a good idea to take him into a vet if possible?
How has his appetite been?

Tracie

SM45

Original Poster
His eyes are sunkin. I just walked in and checked on him. He was not breatyhing and I picked him up, his mouth was slightly open and his eyes almost all the way shut. He is lifeless I thought had passes but I could feel like a faint heart beat or vibrations in his chest/stomachh area. Then he comes out of it and opens his mouth and eyes wide like he got scraed then passed right back out lifless again with his mouth open and eyes shut. He did it twice I don't know whats going on if hes passing which I pray not but think he i Pray hes not in pain....what the hhell is going on this is upsetting...

SM45

Original Poster
Again hes just laying thiere then raises his head opens his mouth wide and lays his head back down and closes his mouth wtf is going on!!??? Is he Brumating?

jwideman

Hatchling Member
SM45":10i3s3iw said:
Again hes just laying thiere then raises his head opens his mouth wide and lays his head back down and closes his mouth wtf is going on!!??? Is he Brumating?

Has he ever brumated before? Was it like this?

SM45

Original Poster
jwideman":3hp82u8a said:
SM45":3hp82u8a said:

Has he ever brumated before? Was it like this?
No never...He has slowed down before but never just not move or breathe and sleep the whole time. while at time lifts his head opens his mouith and goes back to sleep....

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Unfortunately, it sounds like agonal breathing. :cry: It is not pleasant to watch, but it is important to be with him. If his eyes are sunken, that is not a good sign.
You could try to bathe him to see what type of reaction you do get out of him though, if any.
Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

SM45

Original Poster
I know this sounds stupid but when will I know of his passing....Damnit 13 years a great companion had him since he was a baby....Will my local vet they do not deal with reptiles...think they would cremate him? I had my father cremated when he passed almost two years ago been a rough couple of years who could do it would like to have his ashes next to my fathers.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
How is he doing this morning?

The vet can definitely do it I would think. Just call, but it doesn't really matter whether he treats reptiles or not, he's wouldn't be treating him here, just cremating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom