my DIY "fake rocks" for my geckos

Status
Not open for further replies.

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
I told some people I'd post my stuff I did for my geckos. You can't really see it properly in these pics, but you'll get the idea. Two stories, three hides in all, and a vertical temperature gradient instead of horizontal.

Here's a picture of the Top level... the top has two seperate hides built into it, and the top of it comes off so I can get into the hides easier.

jpeg0062.jpg

and a couple more just 'cause lol.

jpeg0061.jpg

jpeg0060.jpg

The bottom level was a lot harder to snap pics of as it's a lot darker obviously. It has a rock patterned linoleum floor for easy cleaning, and luckily enough the geckos have decided to use the restroom down there mostly.

Here's where their spiral staircase meets the half-level and then on to the straight stairs to the upper level.

jpeg0063.jpg

and here's a closer picture of the spiral staircase.

jpeg0064.jpg

and finally pictures of the whole structure. if you look close you might see a couple geckos in there somewhere :) I did use the basic rock-foam background that came with the exoterra viv. Guess I got lazy there.

jpeg0065.jpg

and.. erm.... another,.

jpeg0066.jpg

there it is. I like it myself. Was a lot of fun to work on. I learned a lot lol

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
Original Poster
if I were a better "planner" it wouldn't have taken me long at all. I kept changing my design as I went lol. All in all took me a couple weeks I guess. I think If one were to already know what one wanted and had all the time to just to this, a week would be plenty of time. The grouting is the timesink.

oh and thanks for the comment. Hopefully the geckos enjoy it as well. They eat, drink, and "go" downstairs, and they bask and sleep in the hides upstairs, so the whole thing gets used. I like how it turned out.

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
Sweet looking set up you have there. I really like how you doubled your floor space lol. What kind of geckos do you have in there?

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
Original Poster
leopard geckos. They're small at the moment so I don't know the sexes. I'm HOPING that they'll turn out all female but one. If I have two or more males I'll have to try and trade out for females.

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yeah, but leopards are SOO much easier to keep than people give credit for. The red basking light stays on at night and they'll bask under it, or go down to hunt, and one of the hides is 85, one 95 so they can pick their poison while they sleep during the day. Plus, the grout holds heat very well, so they get plenty belly heat to digest food. They're all fat and sassy and growing like weeds.

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
Sounds like you have some happy leos :D I've got 5 little babies myself and one of them is about to lay her first clutch (any time soon). What do you feed yours? I couldn't stand the idea of keeping crickets (NASTY little things!) so I've got a HUGE colony of dubias and some mealworms.

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
Original Poster
well I can't have dubias, so crickets it is. dusted and whatnot. I keep way more than I need so they can always be nice and gutloaded when I want to feed. I have a colony of supers as well, but they're nowhere big enough for that lol The supers are for my upcoming beardies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom