My blue beardie Zircon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zircon

I'm the proud new owner of a baby beardy. He's about 8 weeks old. He is one of 14 new blue bearded dragons. I will post pictures of him for all to see. He is named Zircon because it is a gem that is mostly found in Australia that is gold in color (like his mother) until heat is applied at which point it turns blue (his blue shows nicely in the sun). I plan on posting his habits regularly so that I can get as much advice in raising him as possible. I have only had him less than two weeks, but I love him like he were my kid. Everything I have read about new beardies has stated not to hold him much, but he insists I hold him. I hold him each night for him to fall asleep. (He enjoys the body heat and crawls into my nightgown slightly to hide his head from any light) He waits for me to hold him before he will sleep now. When I try to put him in his cage at night he rebels by gripping to another finger or burying his head in my palm. During the day, he also likes to be held. I take him outdoors to sit with me under the sun (he LOVES this). If I set him on a counter or something he tries to run back on my arm (even when the room temperature is as warm as me). I was not aware beardies could get so attached to a person, is this common? Also, I he is starting to do what seems like gulping air. I have read that this is common, but he has also began moving his head from side to side in a "wiping his mouth fashion" like he would do to wipe unwanted water from his face. He seems to be trying to get me to pet the sides of his face- he rubs his face against me and when I rub his face, he closes his eyes and then sometimes tips his head like it tickles or something. Is this just a common enjoyment to beardies? He is active and loves to be where ever I am so that he can watch me. Is it possible I am holding him too much - he just hates not to be held) I am going to list his environment and such and welcome any advice and/ or tips that would improve his home for him.

I am not sure if Zircon is boy or girl though I call Zircon him for simplification as I have not yet sexed Zircon. I have in his cage a feeding dish and a small stairway/ arch he seems to love sunbathing on due to its flat top. I had a water fountain in his cage (I was told they only see moving water), but I have taken it out because it caused the humidty to rise too much. I worry the raised humidity could have caused some respiratory problems (mainly because he does that gulping air thing, though it seems they do that the more they grow). There do not seem to be any other signs of ailment as he eats regular (20-50 1/8 inch crickets a day), has normal waste twice a day and is active. He has a 10 gallon aquarium lined with reptile carpet. He has a red 40 watt bulb that stays on all the time and a 40 watt basking bulb that is lit 12 hours a day. He has also had (for only about a week - i just found the article) the Repti-Glo 10 Compact. I keep all of his lights about 12 inches away. He spends several hours a week with me outside in the sun also. (we go out each day and enjoy some sun) I am working on mastering his temperatures as the various bulbs for reptiles are new to me. His night temperature is always above 70 (usually 74-77). His day time temperatures vary as I was told to try to create a hottest time of the day (not easy). I am trying various bulbs and watts as I cannot seem to get his cage temperature hot enough. It ranges from 85-105. I give Zircon ReptoCal (calcium and vit. D), but I have also beenvarying the frequency as I worry about too much versus too little. I was giving it 2-3 times a week but am learning it is best to give that each day. I have also just learned that there are other vitamins he needs (I will be purchasing those Tom. ) He has also been eating green lettuce and green beans. I just printed the food chart so I can start properly feeding him items from that list.
Please, if there are any changes I can make to ensure my Zircon stays healthy please recommend as I love him very much and want him to be as happy as possible.

Zircon

Original Poster
I am new to this site, so I am trying to learn the best ways to post things. I have posted one picture to the general site, but what is the best ways to post pictures of Zircon?

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
Hi!

The easiest way to post a picture is to make a free photobucket account...upload the photos and when you do there are four image options. The fourth ones starts with and that's the one you copy and paste to the post. Hope that helps!

BTW, welcome to bearded dragon! This place is the best place for info and help that I have ever seen! Can't wait to see pictures of your blue baby!

Anna

Zircon

Original Poster
Thanks Hellstrom. Let's see if I can get this to work. :roll:
An update on Zircon: He is going through his first shed and absolutely hates it. I am discovering that it is easier to to get him back in his cage after I rub him to sleep if he is sleeping in a blanket (that way he can't rebel and grasp my fingers coaxing me to hold him a little longer). So each night, I wrap him up in his blanket on my stomach and rub his cute little head until he falls asleep. He also likes when I read to him during the day. For two days now it has been overcast so he is disappointed I haven't taken him outside to play in the sun. i got him set up with a lower UVB bulb also. It seems he loves his vitamins (haha). Everytime white crickets are put in he goes crazy over them and gobbles faster than is surely healthy. Does anyone else's dragon love thier vitamins like they are a treat? Well, let's see if the images show so the world can get a view of my little Zircon.

SS852284a.jpg

SS852298.jpg

SS852336.jpg

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
He certainly is handsome! Glad I could help get pictures up! He seems to like his blankey..that is so cute....

Zircon

Original Poster
Thanks Janie. I have tried various bulbs these past few weeks and am currently using a ReptaSun 40W basking bulb (incandescent) as well as the ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB 15W bulb (gives 30% UVA and 5% UVB) 12 hours a day. I then use a ReptaSun 40 W red bulb at night. It keeps his temperatures great (85-110 at day / 78-80 at night). Do you think I should change any of these bulbs? Goodness knows I'm new at all this. :p

Zircon

Original Poster
Thanks again Anna. The blanket is one that used to be mine when I was little and he loves it! I :wink: can't belive it's still soft and cuddle worthy.

Zircon

Original Poster
Well, I haven't sexed him so he may be a she. :mrgreen: Right now he's giving me the evil eye for giving him a bath --> he fights bath time like a cat would scuba diving. He has also had his first baby food today. We've been trying various greens and he loves green lettuce, but he can't eat just that everyday but he doesnt want to introduce other veggies to his diet. Baby food may be our little trick to get him to eat other goodies.
Thanks again for all the compliments. Zircon is spoiled and getting used to the attention already. :roll:
-Tiffany-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom